Official Release OS Date

Re: Official Release OS Date
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 04:38:12 PM »
So, in short, there's no major flaws in the current beta that you know of. I understand the frustration from the last couple of years but this current beta works pretty well and the reason I finally bought a Tempest was because of this beta. It would be nice if it got to an official release  and I cannot say I disagree with your statements, but enjoy the Tempest for what it is now, finally. It's awesome.

I was probably overzealous to say "Major bugs" and agree that most of the remaining issues are mostly workflow related.
Reading Rogers last posts gives us an idea of what is remaining to be fixed.
All the work put in by all involved (petition/beta testing/feedback ect) is appreciated to get Tempest to this point.
Cheers.
Tim

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 06:30:55 PM »
If there was some kind of arrangement for these two wonderful gentlemen to be financially compensated for their time, then I would be perfectly willing to revise this statement and my take on the situation, however, from where I am sitting, Dave Smith Instruments is run by someone who is completely comfortable with allowing other people to do their work for them.

People had to waste time testing and documenting bugs.
People had to waste time requesting updates, over, and over, and over.
People had to waste time starting a petition.
People had to waste time signing a petition.
Specific people (Roger and John) had to waste time convincing DSI to do something.
People had to waste more time testing, and documenting more bugs.
I still waste time checking this forum for a final update that may never come.

Dave Smith has never taken the time to respond in even a single forum post (unless I missed this somewhere).

No transparency.  No accountability.  No more of my money on DSI products.

Ya, Dave, where’s my gratuity?  A man cannot live on integrity alone (smirk).

At any rate, you’re entirely right, tigerstylin.  This whole agonizing process has been an unfortunate waste of our time, and we have every right to be pissed about it.  We live in an era where companies don’t care and regularly mistreat us.  That notwithstanding, the fact is that if someone takes your money, they are obliged to stand by their promises, stated or implied.  The burden of Tempest development and maintenance should never have fallen on the community.  As customers, we should never have had to do DSI’s legwork for them: having to prove to them repeatedly that bugs exist, having to keep track of every word and every detail in order to hold them accountable.  There’s no other way to see it than they created our frustration.  People only get angry and raise their voices when they are misled or otherwise not listened to.  The obvious solution to angry customers is to simply listen, closely and accurately, then take action.

A great and principled man once said those exact words to me, but he will remain nameless (wink).

May I ask though what these remaining major issues are? Haven't been able to find one so far. Only minor issues (which are still issues, but no deal breakers).

Well, what constitutes a “major issue” is certainly subjective; however, this is as good a time as any, I suppose, to re-post an updated version of the bug-list for y’all...

Bugs remaining as of Feb. 15, 2017:

·       If you accidentally hit the 16 Beats or 16 Mutes button first, when trying to enter 16 tunings or 16 Levels mode, the Roll function automatically disengages – mode changes should happen upon the button’s release in order to prevent this.

·       In 16 Tunings mode, when the sequencer is stopped, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

·       In 16 Levels mode, when the sequencer is stopped, the Arp allows notes to be triggered outside of the selected quantize value, which creates undesirable flams when trying to depress multiple notes at once, or when adding new notes to the arpeggio.  Also, both adding and releasing notes interrupts the Arp causing it to reset and fall out of sync.

·       When recording with the Arp in 16 Levels mode, the held pads blink in succession with each note trigger as expected; but after the first pass of the sequence is recorded, only pad 16 blinks.  *In all other Arp modes, the pads continue to blink in the order they were depressed/recorded as expected.

·      When switching beats on-the-fly, the first step of the sequencer-out is consistently late; so if you're triggering a sample loop on the one, every time you switch beats on the Tempest, it will be out of sync for the first pass.  *This is an invasive fix.

·      Tempest starts one midi clock late or early depending on various conditions of the sync source or Tempest modes.  *This is an invasive fix.

·      If you hold 'Shift' and turn the Compressor knob to get into the compressor menu, you can no longer get back to the Mixer screen.

·      Compressor Envelope 'Amount' only goes from -64 to +127 instead of -/+127.

·      Regardless of what value is set and saved, every time the Tempest is power cycled the Compressor Envelope 'Peak Hold' parameter changes to match the value of the 'Amount' parameter.

·      After a power cycle, all the Compressor Envelope parameters display at the correct value as saved (*with the exception of 'Peak Hold' – see above); however, in actuality they are zeroed, and will otherwise remain that way until each parameter is revisited and its value is moved by at least one increment.

·      When Slider Mode is set to 'Real-time', only FX1 Slider is affected. FX2/3/4 sliders are always 'Step' regardless of this parameter setting.

·      Using Mod Paths for external MIDI sound control results in intermittent affect on the sound.  *Causes are unclear, but the bug occurs more frequently on playback of a Beat with many sounds.

·      When playing a Beat containing held notes of an ADSR sound, if you turn on Bank B while 1) a note is playing and 2) a different sound is selected, the playing note's pad sticks on.

·      LFO sync drifts when set to either 'Beat' or 'Play', and dotted eighths remains missing from the sync options.

·      The sequencer-out still doesn't trigger notes in real-time: i.e. it only sends trigger information after the sequence is recorded, which essentially means that you're recording deaf.

·      Beat roll still doesn't swing.

·      A sound folder is still need to correspond with the pad name "Synth".

·      When adding or copying steps via the Events Screen, the Pad lights do not correlate correctly in 16 Time Steps mode.

·      In 16 Mutes mode, on the Pads screen, although you are still able to select a sound (holding shift and hitting a pad) it is not reflected graphically on the display.  This could be fixed if the display matched the style of the Mixer screen.

·       The Mute/Solo/Delay buttons should perform their functions in both the 16 Mutes/Pads and 16 Mutes/Mixer screens.

·      Mutes “All On” should be available on the mixer screen in both 16 Mutes and 16 Sounds Mode.

·      In the System Menu > MIDI Remote Pad Play > when 'Pad To Note Mode' is set to 'Mutes', if a note number is received that is one of the 'Bank B' assignments on that page, it is treated as the 'Bank A' assignment of the same number.  For example, if Pad B1 is assigned to note# 80, and Pad A1 is assigned to note# 69, sending Tempest note# 80 will toggle the mute of pad A1.

·      The “Undo All Sounds” functionality needs to be better implemented or otherwise removed.  It is currently awkward, buggy, and a liability on account of the fact that it uses the 'Undo Rec' as a 'SHIFT' function.

·      When you set System > UI Preferences > Solo/Mute behavior to 'Seq only', if you mute a pad that contains a sequence and then attempt to play that same sound live in 16 Tunings mode, turning the Mixer Level knob causes the sound to cut-out.

·      If you edit a project and then attempt to do a RAM dump via the 'Save/Load' screen: 7. Export Project over MIDI, the Tempest freezes.

·      In '16 Beats' mode, when trying to copy/paste beats by holding the 'copy' button, nothing happens if you attempt to 'paste' into the beat that is currently selected; whereas pasting into an unselected beat works as expected.

·      If you toggle the 'Reverse' button on and play a beat, it plays correctly in reverse. However, if you then select a different Beat, the newly-selected beat does not play in reverse even though the 'Reverse' light is on.

·      While a sequence is playing, in '16 Time Steps' mode, on the 'Events' screen, disengaging the "Loop Screen" function causes the tempest flip-out for a second: i.e. all the pads light-up in rapid succession and the beat stutters.  Sync, however, is maintained.

Okay, the above list should accurately represent the Tempest’s status as of Beta OS 1.4.4bb.  I’ve removed any bugs that have recently been noted in the change-log as “fixed”, and have added any bugs that have been reported and confirmed since the last time I updated the list.  If I’ve missed anything, or if I’ve removed anything that has in fact not been fixed, please let me know.

Keep making noise, y’all.  We’re almost there.  And by “almost there”, of course, I mean hopefully we'll see these remaining bugs fixed within, say, a couple years or so, given the precedent that DSI has set… Ahem!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:57:13 PM by John the Savage »

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 04:57:01 AM »
Fighting with DSI about Tempest development has been futile since about 2012. After four years of this you really gotta either love it or leave it. It's not worth the stress.

I'm not suggesting feature requests / bug reports are a waste of time, I'm just suggesting getting all upset when the company doesn't respond to forum posts is a waste of energy because it's pretty par for the course, and entirely expected based on several years of the same experience over and over.

DSI believes the Tempest is feature complete. They have not abandoned development, but plan to work on it at their own pace when they feel like it or have time or whatever.

I respect and appreciate the effort that John the Savage and Roger Linn put into trying to get development going again, though I can't say honestly that it's directly affected my enjoyment of the Tempest. Personally I liked it better before the most recent Beta OS versions. (The arp swing is great, but not worth the annoying alphabetical patch sorting and slow/glitchy screen refresh)

If owners should realize ONE thing about the Tempest, or DSI for that matter: Don't expect anything more than what's in the box when you buy it.

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 03:43:28 PM »
Fighting with DSI about Tempest development has been futile since about 2012. After four years of this you really gotta either love it or leave it. It's not worth the stress.

I'm not suggesting feature requests / bug reports are a waste of time, I'm just suggesting getting all upset when the company doesn't respond to forum posts is a waste of energy because it's pretty par for the course, and entirely expected based on several years of the same experience over and over.

DSI believes the Tempest is feature complete. They have not abandoned development, but plan to work on it at their own pace when they feel like it or have time or whatever.

I respect and appreciate the effort that John the Savage and Roger Linn put into trying to get development going again, though I can't say honestly that it's directly affected my enjoyment of the Tempest. Personally I liked it better before the most recent Beta OS versions. (The arp swing is great, but not worth the annoying alphabetical patch sorting and slow/glitchy screen refresh)

If owners should realize ONE thing about the Tempest, or DSI for that matter: Don't expect anything more than what's in the box when you buy it.

If it seems "futile" to you, natrixgli, that's fair - hey, we're all entitled to our opinions - but to say that you preferred the Tempest before some 40 odd critical bugs were fixed, just because you'd sooner not have your files alphabetized, seems a little shortsighted if not discourteous.  It also betrays your casual use of it, because several of the bugs that we fixed were, without question, a hindrance to workflow, sound design, and live performance.  And that's before you consider that those broken and missing features represented a failing of the manufacturer to deliver, in a timely fashion, what their customers had paid for.  I dare say that the Tempest feels stable for the first time in years because of these improvements, and now we're pushing to get the loose ends tied up.  Why?  Because that's why you buy hardware.  Indeed a purpose-built interface and stable functionality are the only reasons to choose hardware over software.

Besides which, it's my time wasted (if that's the way you want to see it), not yours.  And whether you're willing to admit it or not, your Tempest is the better for it.  You can believe that DSI would have stepped-up eventually, without intervention, if you want to; but I'm telling you that you're wrong.  The activism and integrity of this community, myself, and Roger Linn have had a profound affect on Tempest development, and may even be setting a new precedent for the consumer.

And, no, I don't have to "either love it or leave it".  In fact, from where I'm standing, that kind of apathy and cynical outlook are exactly the problem.  Keep on fighting the good fight, folks...

Cheers!

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »
We're with you all the way John ;)
"We gotta fight for our right to party" as the great Beastie Boys said!

bozo

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 02:38:52 AM »
Fighting with DSI about Tempest development has been futile since about 2012.
How in the world are the recent developments futile?
Thats just goofy talk, and quite frankly disrespectful to John, Rodger and any of the now faceless DSi coders.
I wish something similar had happen over at Elekton with the Octatrack as E spent 2 years all on overbridge and said "No software update for you, NEXT."

If wasnt for the interface and underlying software, I would have sold my T by now, for me I've got much better sequencers and better sound generators.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 03:40:45 AM »
Fighting with DSI about Tempest development has been futile since about 2012.
How in the world are the recent developments futile?
Thats just goofy talk, and quite frankly disrespectful to John, Rodger and any of the now faceless DSi coders.
I wish something similar had happen over at Elekton with the Octatrack as E spent 2 years all on overbridge and said "No software update for you, NEXT."

If wasnt for the interface and underlying software, I would have sold my T by now, for me I've got much better sequencers and better sound generators.

Hi Bozo,

I'm in the market for some good sequencers.  Which ones do you recommend?  I'd prefer a software plugin solution but would consider hardware too.  Also the sound generators you mention, what do you recommend?

Cheers, J :)

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
I agree and thank The Savage for his uncanny persistence. I can only hope that a final release will complete all bugs and that no new ones will be introduced. This partnership between companies was awesome but am afraid that the track record for this particular product will prevent future collaborations. I read from Pym a long while back that the code for the machine is extremly inflexible which made it difficult as hell to modify and or squeeze new features. I dont believe they realized this when planning the development of the Tempest.

Savage is bang on about corp product developement vs consumer expectations AND the reason why we buy hardware vs software. The prime reason why I sprung for the Tempest was the reputation of Roger Linn/DSI. I could have bought the Roland Aria series but am acutely familiar with Roland's set and forget corporate attitude. Besides, the feature differences of the TR-8 and the T! To me it was well worth it but the petition and the corp response to fixing the Tempest over all these years cemented by decision to buy it last year.

I am very happy with the purchase and mostly dont notice the bugs as a major flaw. I admit I use the machine for hobbying than professional use and so appreciate the dedication of this forum to hold DSI accountable. I wish that kicking and screaming wasn't needed to get their attention. Anyway, this whole topic can raise the ethical obligations of corporate financially driven needs vs the pursuit of perfection. It is a losing argument since companies compete to reduce costs and must also live on hairline proffit margins. I suggest the following: Can you honestly hold yourself accountable to the same expectation of standards that you hold others?

Consider that JR Tolken wrote a masterpiece over 20 years and 50 years later there are still errors in the print which are taken up by his son and few others 50 years later. I admire that dedication to the craft but know deeply about myself that any music I write doesn't carry the same intensity as Mr Tolken's drive to perfection. So, can we really beleive that DSI will continue to adress bugs over the next 50 years? Obviously no. It is admirable that they have gone so far as they did and trust that a final release will be worked on.

If you are still not impressed then sell or dont buy. However, Elektron stopped dev on the OT; Access comes close to continued dev due to new products but has stopped since the release of the TI2; A&H promised future upgrades on the DB4 and they shut down the forums due to community complaints about various bugs and requests; Pioneer charges a ridiculous amount for their CDJ's and only improve on new products not feature set of exisiting products; need I go on? These are products which I own but the list can surely cover at least 75% of the other companies out there. As the popularity of music production increases quality will undoubtably decrease to satisfy demand and new tech.

Just my two cents...
Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:02:57 AM by LucidSFX »
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

idm

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:14 AM »
Completely agree. Can't thank John enough for his immense persistence and Roger for doing what is needed. I would've never bought a T if it weren't for the state the current beta is in.

Stoss

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
Hey LucidSFX.

I think it's important to remember that there is a difference between expecting a product to do what it is supposed to do and behave the way one would expect vs. thinking you are owed years worth of additional new features.

When I first bought the Tempest, a number of key features were not working correctly. I emailed customer support and let them know that I thought I had a broken unit. I was directed to the forum to download the latest beta which would supposedly fix all of my troubles. I had no interest in being on a forum. I just wanted the fix to my machine I had just paid a lot of cash for. What happened after that was a continued attempt to "get it right". It has not ended.

If you're relatively new to the Tempest, it's easy to see how you may think that this thing is fine... in fact I enjoy mine with no major complaints (except swing on beat roll). If you've been here a while, there is this disbelief that they can't just finish the thing.

I seriously just want the final fix to everything so I can stop coming to this forum looking for an update, or feeling like if I don't check in, DSI will just let it fade out of sight.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:24:36 PM by Stoss »

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
@Stoss I agree with you considering that the product should not have been released as it was. I would even build into the R & D cycle a 2 year beta test group of a select group chosen from their dedicated fan base. The chosen get to buy at a heavily reduced price to accommodate the testing.  Come the release date it would be far cheaper to keep dev tem on new products than revisiting old ones.Aside from the fact that there are a couple of must fix issues most of this dialogue in my opinion falls under the category of philosophy *grin*. For example the push to sequence multiple hardware or the ability to make a cup of coffee. I actually don't mean to make light of the new feature request but come on people:) Workflow bugs need to be fixed. DSI should prioritize this as a final push to release the final public release and let the development die into Public Domain as open source. Considering how difficult it was to program the machine I would think that DSI will never opt for this coding again...let the public do so at their own risk.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

Stoss

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »
Yup. Early release of a product to try to sneak onto the market and get your dollars before you commit them to something else has become a real epedemic, which I think may be fading. The Tempest is a good example of the trouble it can get you into... writing a manual based on what you hope it will do rather than what it actually does. Then you've got the embarrassingly long teasers and half finished product demos... MatrixBrute (which is actually looking like quite the instrument). Anyway... Things are moving at quite a fast pace... something that doesn't seem to pair well with thorough vetting of equipment before release.

PS... just noticed the scotch in your equipment line up. Well done. 😉

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 09:19:36 PM »
Now if I can only figure a way to sidechain my scotch...
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 12:32:55 AM »
[...] Aside from the fact that there are a couple of must fix issues most of this dialogue in my opinion falls under the category of philosophy. For example the push to sequence multiple hardware or the ability to make a cup of coffee...

I'm getting tired of people associating "feature requests" with the bug-list, and otherwise skewing the conversation in the wrong direction.  There is no more room for conjecture here.  There are exactly 28 bugs on the list, which have been tested, confirmed, and carefully documented; and every last one of them represents a malfunction of the existing feature-set and functionality.  They are all "must fix issues" as far as I'm concerned.  A great deal of objectivity has gone into the compiling of that list, the petition behind it, and every one of the now hundreds of emails and phone calls that myself and Roger Linn have exchanged.

Our efforts to get the Tempest fixed have had nothing to do with the subjectivity and daydreaming found in the feature request thread; nor have we pandered, in any way, to the wild speculation of those coming late to the party.  If you want to make a point, I implore you to stick with the facts, and try to refrain from using dramatic examples that don't actually apply to the objective at hand.

And yes, admittedly, I'm in a testy mood.  But seriously, folks... I need you to focus (wink).

Cheers!

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »
Hey John, I feel you man but am not sure if you understood what I wrote in that quote.

Just hope you quoted me correctly understanding that I absolutely do not want my Tempest to make a pot of coffee. *grin* when it is far more reasonable to expect a healthy glass of scotch.

Cheers!

LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 09:36:57 PM »
I don't know either company or their philo's enough to sling mud. I will say that I sold my fist tempest because of 'deal breaker' issue that i noticed once i began really trying to utilize what i wanted it to do. A few months later I realized that the Tempest has a lot of flaws, but nothing was really filling the niche' it had. Since then, I have updated it a few times, and each time was a VAST improvement. This last Beta release is also an improvement.

I think my WANTS are a bit lofty. I am in an era that is blurring the lines between hardware and analog and un-realistic expectations. Yes, I am a little peeved that there were functions omitted after put in print, but I am seeing this as a trend, so I cant be so pissed at the dsi squad, unless i want to hate on ALL the current product manufacturers.

Long story short.. I don't know who or what is helping update the Tempest OS, but i thank them a LOT! I am sure at one point, I will be entirely content with what the T can and can't do. For now tho, we seem to hope for more. Im diggin it either way.

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 03:18:56 AM »
Hey John, I feel you man but am not sure if you understood what I wrote in that quote.

Just hope you quoted me correctly understanding that I absolutely do not want my Tempest to make a pot of coffee. *grin* when it is far more reasonable to expect a healthy glass of scotch.

Cheers!

My apologies, Lucid, I should not have singled you out.  I just spend too much time reading, trying to keep up with a conversation that is convoluted at best and spread throughout dozens of threads on two separate forums - testing bugs, and going back and forth with Roger Linn over every detail - all in an effort to maintain an informed and objective perspective on the task at hand.  It takes hours to cross reference every bug report with the change-log, determine which bugs are real and which ones are just user error, and update the bug-list to accurately reflect the state of the Tempest with every new beta release.  I do this only to keep the community in the loop and focused on our mutual objective of getting the Tempest fixed; while Roger Linn and I have our own, much more in depth, conversation going behind the scenes (most of which I'm not at liberty to discuss in public, and for good reason).

I'm not complaining.  Hell, I'm doing this of my own volition.  I do, however, get frustrated from time to time when people interject with their subjective opinions or otherwise reference the absurd requests of others.  I'm not saying you did that necessarily, I'm just saying.  I mistook your comment about the conversation being mostly philosophical, as yet another cynic offering an unsolicited "reality check" about how we're never going to see the Tempest do this or that.  To which indignity, I thought you were using 'multi-channel external sequencing' as an example, when that's not even on the list that I so carefully compiled.  Please understand that many uninformed opinions going flying around here all the time, and that's why my tired self overreacted to you at 4a.m., even though I realize now that your comments were well-intentioned.  No hard feelings.

I'm sipping on a fine and very mature single malt as I type this, in hopes of making amends (wink).

Cheers!

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 03:20:54 AM »
DSI releasing the firmware source code would be the proper thing to do at this point.

- DSI could put the project to rest and stop dedicating any further resources.
- DSI would sell more units, since the product has new potential.
- Community would fix remaining bugs.
- Community would implement wanted features.
- All parties would be happy.

I can't see any downsides for this kind of arrangement. Only blocker I can think of, is that there are some licensing issues related to the source code. Perhaps some proprietary algorithms (swing?). But nothing that couldn't be solved by using a proper distribution license, like GNU GPLv3.
Mono Evolver Keyboard, Prophet '08, Tempest

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2017, 05:50:28 AM »
Thanks Savage;) Scotch always lends to quality perspective *grin*
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »
>>> DSI releasing the firmware source code would be the proper thing to do at this point.

YES I was thinking about this the other day. I work with a lot of super talented engineers, including embedded code folks, and this isn't a crazy idea really...

I'm a long time AKAI MPC and Roger Linn fan, and have thought for years that AKAI should open source old OS code from discontinued / not supported products. Roger Linn himself released MPC 60 MkII OS update(s) years after it was discontinued. Not sure this was official stuff... Just saying.

I heard that "JJ" the Japanese guy behind the JJ OS for MPC 1000 and 2500 actually *took the source code with him* when he left AKAI, and built mad features on top. This was quite amazing for the community. Imagine if it wasn't just 1 person having free-for-all access...

Anyway --- again this is not too crazy a proposal / idea for Dave Smith to consider, again, for products DSI does not support any more.

mano

PS: how about an in-between idea? ... If no official engineer time is available, DSI reaching out to a few key people who may be happy to offer some of their time to fix things? Not DSI employees, engineers in the community