Korg Volca FM

eXode

Re: Korg Volca FM
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »
FM noob question: how does the FM in the Volca compare to the FM in the Poly Evolver and P12?  Are they same, to where you can create similar patches, or too different?  I'm mostly looking to do 80s FM basses and other things common to 242 Official Version / Skinny Puppy industrial.  Any patch guidance?

The FM in the Volca is almost identical to the DX7 although the type of controls differ. It can even read DX7 sysex if I recall correctly. That means that it's very different from the Poly Evolver and quite different from the P12. It should be able to do all the type of sounds you mention though since it is pretty much a 3 voice DX7 in a little box. :)

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 12:30:40 PM »
...and a much cleaner DX7 voice, at that.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 02:08:27 PM »
One more note on this:

Depending on how you'd like to use DX-like FM synthesis, you should still consider the original DX7, as the Volca FM's velocity amount can't be controlled by an external MIDI controller. So for reasons of live playing expressiveness, the original DX7 and it's reincarnations would make more sense. However, if you only wanna use the Volca FM as a sequencer-controlled device, it's probably the better choice.

With regard to the DSI instruments you brought up it has to be said that the Evolver's FM capabilities are furthest away from anything DX-like, since it only offers exponential FM, which remains only musical (in terms of scales) at very low settings. The Prophet 12, however, offers linear FM in addition to that, which means that it can be used as a 4 operator FM synth similiar to the DX7. Keep in mind though that the DX7 and the Volca FM utilize 6 operator FM.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 09:44:03 PM »
The Prophet 12, however, offers linear FM in addition to that, which means that it can be used as a 4 operator FM synth similiar to the DX7. Keep in mind though that the DX7 and the Volca FM utilize 6 operator FM.

But they can only use sine waveforms

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »
And with layering on the P12 you get 2x4 ops.

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 02:25:36 AM »
The Prophet 12, however, offers linear FM in addition to that, which means that it can be used as a 4 operator FM synth similiar to the DX7. Keep in mind though that the DX7 and the Volca FM utilize 6 operator FM.

But they can only use sine waveforms

Sure. I just wanted to point out the difference.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »
FM noob question: how does the FM in the Volca compare to the FM in the Poly Evolver and P12?  Are they same, to where you can create similar patches, or too different?  I'm mostly looking to do 80s FM basses and other things common to 242 Official Version / Skinny Puppy industrial.  Any patch guidance?

The FM in the Volca is almost identical to the DX7 although the type of controls differ. It can even read DX7 sysex if I recall correctly. That means that it's very different from the Poly Evolver and quite different from the P12. It should be able to do all the type of sounds you mention though since it is pretty much a 3 voice DX7 in a little box. :)

Thanks!  :)  Can you chain them to get more voices?  I'd like to be able to ambient pads as well, and 3 voices is a bit slim.  Looking at the TX802 as well, since I understand it's DX7 compatible and about the most bang for the buck; plus I prefer rackmount for most things at this point.  No more room for keys or desktops.  :D

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »
Depending on how you'd like to use DX-like FM synthesis, you should still consider the original DX7, as the Volca FM's velocity amount can't be controlled by an external MIDI controller.

Ah, that's a deal-breaker.  Dynamics aren't something I am ever willing to give up.  Nothing should ever ship without velocity and aftertouch IMO.

I'm looking at the TX802 and PreenFM2 as my best bets now, and since I prefer rackmount at this point, unless I can discover a reason not for the TX802, it's likely the way I'll go once it gets to the top of my buy list.