LFO Keyboard Amount Parameter

Sacred Synthesis

LFO Keyboard Amount Parameter
« on: January 30, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
One parameter that I would like to see is LFO Keyboard Amount.  For certain sounds, it would be useful to have a variable parameter that would have the LFO rate or amount track the keyboard.  For example, with a patch that uses deep pulse width modulation, the problem is always that it sounds overly detuned in the lower registers.  I always adjust the rate while holding the lowest note in the music, so as to get the deepest amount possible that still sounds musical.  The problem is, when the music reaches the higher registers, the PWM then sounds too shallow and slow.  The solution would be to have an incremental parameter that would increase either the LFO's rate or depth as you ascended the keyboard.  As you climbed the keyboard, the LFO would literally get faster or deeper

I've played a synthesizer with this feature before.  I can't remember, but it may have been a CAT SRM.  Wow, what a useful parameter it was.

Perhaps there is a workaround, but I haven't looked for it.  Regardless, it would be so handy to have a dedicated knob for this function, an LFO Keyboard Amount Parameter.

Re: LFO Keyboard Amount Parameter
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »
You can just assign the keytracking (was it KEY NUMBER on the Prophet '08?) to control the LFO frequency and have the according modulation amount controlled by the mod wheel, Aftertouch, or an expression pedal. That's your workaround with 2 mod slots.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:37:46 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
That would be better than nothing, but it's not possible if your left hand is busy playing another instrument.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 03:33:59 PM »
That would be better than nothing, but it's not possible if your left hand is busy playing another instrument.

Hence my suggestion to control the modulation amount either via Aftertouch or an expression pedal. I'm a big fan of the latter option and used it quite extensively with the Prophet '08.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:35:43 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »
Two problems; I nearly always have my modulation wheel programmed to open the filter and the pedal to control the volume; even more, since my feet are playing the pedalboard, I only have rare opportunities to press a pedal.  That's why only a parameter would work for me.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 11:57:52 PM »
Wouldn't just assigning keytracking to the LFO depth or speed (using one mod slot) achieve what you want? I don't suppose that you need to control the PWM while playing.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »
Synthmaniac,

I do believe I tried that and got it to work.   I don't believe I would have thought of that use on my own,  but I tried it out of curiosity after reading it somewhere (maybe it was on this forum).
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 03:11:05 AM »
Synthmaniac,

I do believe I tried that and got it to work.   I don't believe I would have thought of that use on my own,  but I tried it out of curiosity after reading it somewhere (maybe it was on this forum).

That's great to hear. Unfortunately my Prophet 08 is in my rehearsal room, not at home. Otherwise, I would have tried it instantly.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
The MFB Dominion 1 has the ability to do this and after having made use of it a bit I must say that it's a really useful feature. Since it's just one button press to engage it (each press of the button cycles through 0%, 50% or 100%) it's very quick to set up as a modulation source and because of that I end up using it quite a bit. Kind of surprising this isn't a more common feature - the effect sounds very natural to my ears. I'll likely start working that idea into more patches on my P12 now that you've all got me thinking about it.