Prophet '08 Vs. REV2

Re: Prophet '08 Vs. REV2
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 12:51:12 AM »
I think if I was going to replace my existing P'08 rather than supplement it with a Rev2 then I would have to go with the 16 voice model. Initially I was only considering the 8 voice and keeping my old P'08 but if it really will reproduce my old sounds identically then a straight upgrade to the Rev2 is a possibility.

The other deciding factor will be the UK price it has crept up to by the time the Rev2 is in stores. I'm expecting the 16 voice to be well over £2000 by then. :(

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »
...but if it really will reproduce my old sounds...

And that's the two-thousand dollar question:  Will the Prophet REV2 sound exactly like the Prophet '08?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:17:22 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 12:47:42 AM »
...but if it really will reproduce my old sounds...

And that's the two-thousand dollar question:  Will the Prophet REV2 sound exactly like the Prophet '08?
Yes. I suspect I will have to buy the Rev2, copy my sounds over, and compare with the P'08 side-by-side to be absolutely sure. A lot of my sounds use the specific way that the P'08 handles noise as a modulation source on things like filter resonance. Most bread-and-butter sounds won't tell me what I need to know.

If it does sound identical then I'll most likely sell my old P'08. For space reasons more than anything else. If it doesn't then I'll probably keep both. For this reason I'll probably have to buy the 8-voice and then the upgrade board if I sell the P'08.

The one thing I absolutely cannot do is sell my P'08 before getting a Rev2. If I was unable to copy over my existing sounds, for any reason, I'd be gutted.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »
My guess (and wish) is that the Prophet 8 presets on the REV2 will be a bit fatter. I have a Tetra and I did a side by side with a P8 only to find out that the P8 sounded thinner because the Tetra added a bit of Sub Osc. 80% of the time I prefered the Tetra ... we'll see :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
With so many people selling their Prophet '08's to finance Rev2's, I thought by now the prices of the P'08 on Ebay and Reverb would be much lower.  But the keyboard version is still generally holding at $1,500+ and the module at $1,000+.  I think the sense is that the P'08 is the classic original and desirable for that reason.  Plus, it's always easier to keep the excellent instrument that you do have, rather than buy the excellent instrument that you don't.  There's always an amount of chaos and uncertainty involved in replacing one with the other.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:51:39 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 01:04:27 PM »
With so many people selling their Prophet '08's to finance Rev2's, I thought by now the prices of the P'08 on Ebay and Reverb would be much lower.  But the keyboard version is still generally holding at $1,500+ and the module at $1,000+.  I think the sense is that the P'08 is the classic original and desirable for that reason.  Plus, it's always easier to keep the excellent instrument that you do have, rather than buy the excellent instrument that you don't.  There's always an amount of chaos and uncertainty involved in replacing one with the other.

i've seen the keyboard version going for around 1100-1200 for a while?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »
Where?  I know you can find some cheap ones here and there, but the keyboard version seems most often to run from $1,400-$1,700.

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
Where?  I know you can find some cheap ones here and there, but the keyboard version seems most often to run from $1,400-$1,700.

reverb, craigslist, etc.

good deals pop up fairly frequently if you keep an eye out; picking up a strymon möbius that i found on craigslist in like-new condition for 350 tomorrow. next up is keeping an eye out for an eventide h9 max :)

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 06:18:27 AM »

East Coast prices tend to be higher on Craigslist, from past experience, but in the Southeast and Midwest (i.e., anything west of the Appalachians), I've seen 'em as low as $1K. Searching for nearby areas to an urban center gives you a pretty good sense of the price differentials.

(Disclaimer: I recreationally surf Craigslist for this very purpose, over morning coffee. :) )

Reverb prices tend also to be higher (though there are still deals to be had, in general, if you look closely enough).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
Ditto.  I've sold tons of equipment on Craigslist, and continue to do so.  And I'm always keeping an eye open for something special.

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 05:02:27 AM »
Ditto.  I've sold tons of equipment on Craigslist, and continue to do so.  And I'm always keeping an eye open for something special.

the prophet rev2 was the first new piece i've gear i've bought in a while; i find it's way more cost effective to buy gear that people GAS'd over and then moved on, saving most of the depreciation value and getting it in like-new condition. Craigslist can offer some gems every once in a while, and i do my best to throw back gear that i no longer have use for at a decent deal to keep the energy flowing

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 10:12:35 AM »
Anyone compare the P08 to the Rev 2 yet? Thinking of selling my P08 for a Rev 2 though want to hear some first hand accounts before making the decision.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
I guarantee you, those comparisons will be flooding Youtube any day now.  It's the most obvious demo that one would want to make right now.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
I dumped my Prophet '08 banks into my Rev2 today.

As advertised, I think the Prophet '08 patches sound identical in the mighty Rev2. Well done DSI.

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »
Have to make a quick decision. I have a local offer on my Prophet 08 PE Keyboard for $1200 and a 10% off coupon to buy a Rev 2 making it $1350, so it wouldn't cost much to upgrade. Anyone who has tried the Rev 2 so far think there's any chance the original Prophet 08 is going to be considered superior in the long run?

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »
Have to make a quick decision. I have a local offer on my Prophet 08 PE Keyboard for $1200 and a 10% off coupon to buy a Rev 2 making it $1350, so it wouldn't cost much to upgrade. Anyone who has tried the Rev 2 so far think there's any chance the original Prophet 08 is going to be considered superior in the long run?

I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago, also found a great priced used 08 here and didn't know if to wait for the REV2 and spend more or get the 08... Needless to say, after a lot pf research I ordered my REV2 today :)
 I did a lot of research and except for a (very) few exceptions, there seems to be a consensus that the REV2 is superior and a worthy upgrade to the 08... Of course, it always depends on what and how you're going to use it but the fact that a lot of people are selling their 08's says something... For my part, I'm sure I would've felt sorry afterwards if I didn't get the REV2... :) Best of luck with your decision!

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
Hi guys! Great to find you here and warm greetings from Bucharest.
 I finally made the "big" step today and ordered my REV2. Its supposed to arrive after the 1st of July so here comes the dreaded waiting part...(hoping maybe I'll have it on my 4th of July birthday haha).
 I went with the 8 voices version for now because the 16 one exceeded my budget, but I'll probably look into the upgrade in the future...
 I mostly compose and produce cinematic and library music for tv and trailers so I think the REV2 will be a nice match with the Sub Phatty I also have now... I can't wait to do some sound design on it and explore new sounds.
 Its my first DSI intrument so I hope I've made a wise decision.
Again, good to find you all here and looking forward to all the interesting discussions. Cheers!

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »
Deciding between the 8 and 16 voice (16 will cost me $450 more)...worth it? In what applications might I want 16 voices? Any advice?

wavelogue

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2017, 05:14:49 PM »
16 Voice Applications:
• Play notes/chords while the sequencer is playing
• Use as a bi-timbral 8-voice instrument
• Long droning pads without dropouts
• Monster unison patches?

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2017, 03:20:16 AM »
16 Voice Applications:
• Play notes/chords while the sequencer is playing
• Use as a bi-timbral 8-voice instrument
• Long droning pads without dropouts
• Monster unison patches?
For me the appeal of 16 voices would be the ability to make 8-note stacked patches, particularly with the 2 layers hard-panned on opposite sides. I do love a wide stereo sound.

I still expect I will get an 8-voice and expand later though.