Prophet '08 Vs. REV2

Sacred Synthesis

Prophet '08 Vs. REV2
« on: January 30, 2017, 12:20:19 PM »
We human beings are funny creatures.  From reading around and taking mental notes, I suspect there will develop a pro-Prophet '08/anti-Rev2 party.  And I hope I'm not a founding member of it, because I'm totally excited about the REV2 and wish it nothing but success!

I anticipate the new party will mirror the Minimoog original Model D vs. re-issued Model D arguments.  Since DSI says they're using new technology for the new instrument, could it really sound exactly the same as the Prophet '08?  I don't know myself, but there lies the opportunity for the new party's platform: the new REV2, with its updated technology and onboard effects, just doesn't sound as pure and organic as the venerable old Prophet '08.  After all, we could even add the word "vintage" to the discussion.  Ah well, I'm just predicting. 

I certainly want to favor the REV2.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:35:17 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dsetto

Re: Prophet '08 Vs. REV2
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:39:45 PM »
I believe this is possible. Nuanced differences, that take time to be perceived, corroborated, and debated. Nuanced differences that are meaningless to some, and individually, or collectively significant to others. Differences that are a result of experienced, informed, and artistic decision-making shaped by the moment. These differences resulting in a fomenting agent, positively influencing sales, re-sales.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
You're right, DSetto, but I'm just having fun here anticipating it.  The darts are coming.

dsetto

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »
I'm enjoying the fun. Just didn't sound like I was. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 03:08:03 PM »
Let's put it this way... I'm not getting rid of my "vintage" P'08 if or, more likely, when I get a Rev2. ;-)

The demos so far don't appear to have removed any of the elements of the P'08 sound that I treasure but I am expecting it to sound a little different. I'm pretty excited to explore those subtle differences, beyond the obvious added features.

Even if they do sound near identical, I use the P'08 so extensively on everything I record that having a second one is still incredibly useful. I'm never buying a synth with crippled modulation ever again! Given the price and rarity of Oberheim Xpanders, it'll have to be a Rev2.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:43 PM »
I'm the same.  I intend to try one REV2 and use it alongside my other Prophet '08 and make careful comparisons.  It won't be a matter of selling off everything to replace it all with new equipment.  It's taken me years to acquire my present set up, and it would be foolish to suddenly sell it all and begin with a REV2 experiment.  The Prophet '08 is just too superb an instrument to be instantly demoded by the new synthesizer on the block. 

I'll be surprised if the two instruments sound exactly the same.  But I don't want to get hung up on the "that sound" routine.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:08:01 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 01:45:47 AM »
Moinmoin,

the "problem" we have is not at all new. Being 58 years of age and playing in bands (keys and - for a long time exclusively - bass) I do own some musical instruments. As I do not yet know enough about the Rev" I will take basses as an example:
Of course there are different ones: upright, electric basses with or without frets, length and number of strings, ...
You may compare that to synthesizers, organs, pianos, ...

But even within the same "quality" there are differences in sound and - for me as player of same importance - handling, feel or whatever You may call it. Of course this has material reasons, too: width of neck, size of frets (if any), ..., but not all differences and features are that easy to tell.

Some instruments simply inspire in a way others don't and vice versa.

What I love about my P'08 is, that it is as close to a natural instrument as a pieco of electronics possibly can be. More than that: It is a natural instrument to me.
If the Rev2 will also have this feature, it will do so in another way, maybe similar but well distinguishable for the player (if he is sensitive at all, which may be presumed for musicians).

The bottom line (very appropriate for a bass player 8)) is: Although I am very curious about Rev2 - and my bank account already shivers with fear - it will never have an impact on my relation to the P'08.
Experience teaches, that I may leave some instrument more or less unplayed for even a few years, but as Arnold Schwarzenegger used to say: "I'll be back!"

Martin

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 05:23:31 AM »
What I love about my P'08 is, that it is as close to a natural instrument as a pieco of electronics possibly can be. More than that: It is a natural instrument to me.

If the Rev2 will also have this feature, it will do so in another way, maybe similar but well distinguishable for the player.

I would agree with this, and I think it's what especially attracts and holds me to the Prophet '08.  It's certainly due, in part, to the abundant modulation that can be used very subtly, but it's also related to the instrument's general tone.  I would even credit the much-maligned filter, which I've never felt a desire to complain about while using.  The 2-pole is just mystical.

In general, I find the Prophet '08 has the ability to sound like an "acoustic" synthesizer, an instrument with so much nuance and character as to sound as if it's affected by the wind, the light, and the temperature.  In designing a monophonic patch, I always strive to achieve an end result that would make a listener think, "Gee, what sort of string, brass, reed, or woodwind instrument is that?"  The key is always to add delicate movement of various types and to avoid a static quality.  Nothing natural or acoustic is static.  The Prophet '08 offers so many ways of reaching this goal, of making a synthesizer sound less like a synthesizer, less like an electronic device. 

I, too, expect a musical ear will be able to distinguish a REV2 from a Prophet '08.  I only hope it doesn't become a serious concern.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:54:12 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 09:20:46 PM »
Anyone has already had their hands on Rev 2? I am now in the process of selling my Prophet 08 for the Rev2 . Unfortunately. I'm budget strapped and wont have enough to have 2 at the same time.

As 08 user, the new Rev 2 is able to have the 08 patches downloaded onto the unit. My issue with 08 was that I had to plug an extra reverb pedal and its really a hassle for touring etc. I'm seeking to minimize various aspects for a cleaner setup on the road and Rev2 seems to solve my issues with it.

Just like to hear from anyone who has tried Rev2?

Thanks!

eXode

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 11:28:35 PM »
Just like to hear from anyone who has tried Rev2?

Thanks!

The only people that have tried one has probably done so at NAMM or DSI themselves, so I'm guessing that comparisons with a P'08 are slim at the moment. What is it that you're wondering about?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 06:38:08 AM »
I'm sure, when the REV2 is released, there will be a number of comparison videos that are quickly produced.  It's the big $2,000 question: How does the sonic character of the REV2 compare with the Prophet '08?  We're all anxious to know.  Another question will be, What is the quality of the onboard effects?  Judging from the effects on the P-6 and OB-6, I expect it will be excellent.  The problem is, the instrument won't be released until May, so we probably will not have answers until then.

In agreement with Sonicflw, one of the many reasons I'm excited about the REV2 is the ability to eliminate effects racks or pedals, thus simplifying one's set up.  Simplification?  What a beautiful concept!

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
Yes, the FX options are going to be great. Having reverb on a pad and delay on a lead part etc is going to be brilliant.
I think I read it was just one effect per layer. Is that right? Are there any multifx in the later synths (Pro 6 and OB6) like reverb and delay on the same FX patch?

eXode

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »
Yes, the FX options are going to be great. Having reverb on a pad and delay on a lead part etc is going to be brilliant.
I think I read it was just one effect per layer. Is that right? Are there any multifx in the later synths (Pro 6 and OB6) like reverb and delay on the same FX patch?

As far as I understand there's one effect per layer on the REV2. The Prophet 6 and OB-6 have two effects, with possible delay + reverb as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:47:53 PM by eXode »

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
Anyone has already had their hands on Rev 2? I am now in the process of selling my Prophet 08 for the Rev2 . Unfortunately. I'm budget strapped and wont have enough to have 2 at the same time. . .

Many years ago I sold my P-5 to get what I thought was better equipment.  I have long regretted the sale.  I have the P-08 now, which is definitely a worthy successor to the P-5.  However, if I had to do it again, I would have hung on to the P-5 and found other ways to financially upgrade the equipment. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 01:18:08 AM »
Moinmoin,

that is my experience, too: Never sell an instrument, You will regret it.

Even if I sound like a snob: Money is the same everywhere in the world, things You can (or even cannot!) buy are more or less unique...

Martin

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 08:51:02 AM »
I can confirm rev2 loads p08 patches, they sound the same as far as i can tell, I don't actually have a P08 here to compare but I compared with my recordings of my patches and it sounded basically the same.

You will need to adjust program levels, some modulations might need adjusting and it's possible filter settings might need a slight tweak depending on calibration but it's basically the same voice with extra stuff.

I am really enjoying the Rev2 so far. Have made a ton of patches and am looking forward to sharing some recordings..

Last night I have bass and pad going on the Rev2 sequencer while jamming OB-6 lead over the top, was excellent fun and I really noticed the different sound of the two units.

My wife commented that it sounded like Pink Floyd in my studio and I seemed to be having more fun than I have in a long time!

dsetto

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 11:21:35 PM »
bobule, thank you for your reports from the front lines. :)

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 03:20:32 AM »
... am looking forward to sharing some recordings..

Please post video/audio as soon as you can.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 06:34:47 AM »
I'm still on the fence over whether a Rev2 is different enough to justify getting when I already have a P'08.  I've no doubt it is an all-round better synth and I certainly liked the effects, the phasers especially, when I had a P6.  The key thing for me is how much of a difference the now PWM-able sawtooth, saw-tri and triangle waveforms make. I'm guessing that the sub-oscillator is a square, in keeping with the Tetra? In which case, I have a pretty good idea what that adds. My experience of the P6's slop was that it loosened the tight tuning of the oscillators, which I've been doing with LFOs on the P'08, and anything past 12 o'clock was pretty unusable to my ears.

I mean, I love the look of the thing but I'm aware that I have 90% of the same synth sat right in front of me.  If you take away the effects, in terms of sound can it go into places the P'08 presently cannot?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
Fuseball -

You're right; since these two instruments are so similar, why go through the trouble of choosing the new one?  I'd say consider this thread (http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1062.0.html). 

Personally, I think there are enough differences to the REV2 to make it worthwhile switching over.  Having onboard delay and eight more voices are already enough reasons to convince me.  But another consideration, which probably won't persuade many people, is simply the differences of age.  I had already intended to sell my current Prophet' 08's in order to buy new ones from DSI, just as a matter of having new instruments with new parts, since my instruments are five or six years old by now and I intended to keep them for years to come.  I think this is justifiable, since I very seldom buy instruments.  The Prophet REV2 is an opportunity to do just that, plus get a whole bunch of additional features.  It's true, though, that it won't be like getting a new instrument, but only a very familiar one with a few perks.  Still, that's good enough.