P12: High resonance filter sweeps have (annoying) noticable steps

Re: P12: High resonance filter sweeps have (annoying) noticable steps
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »

I use filter sweeps all the time during performances but I used the mod strips or mod wheel assignments. I'm sure this makes it smooth (it's probably just much higher resolution).

I notice that I hear stepping when I turn the knob directly too.

Paul.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 04:10:28 AM »
To clarify... yes all analog filters with high resonance will cause harmonic peaking ... that is not at all what this guy (hype1) is referring to. I think his frustration in the thread is that people keep referring to these harmonic peaks when that isn't what he is having issue with. He is having issue with the digital control of the filter not being smooth and yes those two issues can sound similar but are definetly not the same (digital stepping is far less pleasant and far more consistent).

The simple short answer is this. I have very similar use case to you where I much prefer to use the cut off knob to manually modulate slow moving high resonance filter sweep... the p12 just doesn't allow that. You can waste a tactile modulation source for this task but even then, it's still not 14 bit resolution (I don't believe) . You still get a bit of old school sounding sweeps, it won't be as smooth as something like a sub37 or matrixbrute (both of these use 14 bit controls for the filter). It would be fantastic if there was an update to turn semitone stepping off.
   I share your pain hype1 and I share the frustration when people keep pointing toward Fourier.  In the mean time mod wheel is your best bet.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 04:24:24 AM »
Thank you Flux302. I gave up responding as the respons people gave where mostly not helpful at all (E.G.: some people only share there testing with HPF filtering without resonance instead of my issue with the LPF with high resonance, someone saying that a pedal 'could' resolve without trying, and people responding with their experience with the P'08 which is a totally different machine). In fact most responders did not actually address my particular issue but only made this conversation noisy. (Thanks anyway I guess) ;)

This issue has not been resolved. The Prophet 12 is designed like this and there is NOT a single way around this. I have tried everything, even with a custom made pedal for this purpose. To no avail. Also the mod wheel does not resolve stepping.

164 steps for filtering is just NOT ENOUGH and many other modern synths handle this SO MUCH BETTER.

To me it is a flaw and it still annoys me everytime I use the Prophet 12.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:13:46 AM by hype1 »

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
This seems like something that could be helped, though maybe not fixed entirely, if DSI could figure out a way to interpolate the values of the cutoff knob as it's swept through its range. Just an idea.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »
Could a lag processor be used to make the movement between steps more gradual?

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »
That's something like what I was thinking. It'd almost certainly make the responsiveness of the knob seem sluggish, but it might be a nice option for some people who need those smooth filter sweeps -- and who doesn't :)?