prophet 6 or ob-6? (have prophet 12)

prophet 6 or ob-6? (have prophet 12)
« on: January 19, 2017, 04:18:32 PM »
Hello !

I've been doodling with vst's and prophet 12 for a bit.

atm i got p12, p6 or ob-6 wasn't available, only p8 and p12.

I didn't know enough about it and I knew James Blake was using p08, so I thought P12 would be better, then it arrived at my door.

later I discovered that It's hybrid synth, (I'm still synth noob.) and the tone wasn't what I was looking after.

thing I like about p12 is it's bigger keys than p6 or ob-6, more modulation routing possibility (although I have to admit

I don't use this that much), and 4 analog delay. also I like lead sound with distortion (12 unison, pretty massive).

pad is excellent I think, as well.

Thing I don't like about p12 ; thin bass. brass type of sound doesn't really gel with my taste.

I've been listening prince, michael jackson, and bruno mars, mark ronson.

should I sell my p12 and get p6 or ob-6 ?

If so, what would be better to produce that disco type-genre music?

or anybody can throw me some tips that can make bass sound thick and brass sound more vintage?

Thanks!

Re: prophet 6 or ob-6? (have prophet 12)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
Give the Pro-2 a try: you get the same oscillators as the Prophet-12 but also the filters from the Prophet-6 and the OB-6. And it can do phat.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 11:22:52 PM »

Thing I don't like about p12 ; thin bass. brass type of sound doesn't really gel with my taste.

If so, what would be better to produce that disco type-genre music?

or anybody can throw me some tips that can make bass sound thick and brass sound more vintage?

Thanks!

I am working through a lot of those issues too.  Being a digital hybrid, the P-12 can pump out a lot more high frequency sound than the VCO bretheren  So, the trick is to tame the high frequencies.  This can be done as simply as closing the low pass filter a little more.   A sight adjustment can reap large benefits.  Also, since the signal path is so clean, you might want to dirty it up a little.  Add a small amount of distortion, experiment with the FM or AM modulation to add a little "distorted" sound to liven the music a little.   You can get beautiful non-nasal sounds out of the P12.  You will just have to work a little to get it.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 03:27:08 PM »
Some little tricks to warm up the sound

- using 2/3 osc, but at a quiet level (45/50)
- using the osc slop, eventually modulating it with the LFO
- using the Girth and Drive FX in the character section
- putting the cutoff of the high pass filter at 9 o'clock and the resonnance at 3/4 o'clock
- the delay lines have a low pass filter, it can help

Hope it'll help  :)

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 06:49:36 AM »
Thank you for all these great advices !

I will try those tricks. Some of the vintageish sound I like it(from many sound sets, not the patch that I created :(

so I'm going to keep p12 for now. Also 5 octave keys are quiet helpful.

can't wait to hear p8 rev2, tho :)

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:18:01 PM »
I'd say that though the P12 is an incredibly versatile synth it has its own unique strengths and weaknesses. So far in my experience it's true that big bass sounds aren't its bread and butter (though you can still coax them out for sure) and if this is what you're after then maybe it's not the right instrument for you. Interestingly that aspect of its tone could be considered a strength too, since when stacking big chords in a complex polyphonic patch a ton of low and low-mid frequencies aren't necessarily what you want (re: mud).

It really is its own synth and does not attempt to imitate other classics of the past. Yes, I think you can get it to sound quite "analog" if that's what you're after and for me that is sometimes what I'm looking for to. But if the primary goal is to emulate some of those classic mono and poly sounds from decades past it might be worth considering adding another synth or trading in to meet those needs. I recently picked up a MFB Dominion 1 to handle big analog bass and lead sounds and have actually come to appreciate the P12 even more for the really unique things that it's capable of.

To finish here's one tip that I've found pretty useful for getting big bass and lead sounds -- make sure to set check the wave reset box on the oscillators when you want a patch to have a strong, punchy attack. It's very useful for powerful staccato bass parts.

-AP

Tonda

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 04:04:12 AM »
I will try those tricks. Some of the vintageish sound I like it(from many sound sets, not the patch that I created :(

Last post on this topic was some time ago. I wonder if you’ve kept the P12 or eventually trade it in for another DSI synth. When I ordered my P12 Desktop I doubted between the P12 and the P6. The first couple of months I’ve regretted my choice. The P12 sounded harsh, thin and uninspiring to me. Especially when I made my own patches from scratch. But somehow this instrument intrigued me, and I started to collect all possible tips and tricks to get better sounds from the P12. Now I can say I’ve made the right choice. It is not that difficult to get warm, big and nice sounds from the P12, even just using one oscillator. However, you have to do a lot of small things to get there… It will never be instant gratification, but it can be very rewarding. Recently I’ve added the X to my collection. I had to sell almost all my instruments to fund this machine. But I still have my P12. It has some magic…, a strange chameleon which keeps surprising me.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »

Last post on this topic was some time ago. I wonder if you’ve kept the P12 or eventually trade it in for another DSI synth. When I ordered my P12 Desktop I doubted between the P12 and the P6. The first couple of months I’ve regretted my choice. The P12 sounded harsh, thin and uninspiring to me. Especially when I made my own patches from scratch. But somehow this instrument intrigued me, and I started to collect all possible tips and tricks to get better sounds from the P12. Now I can say I’ve made the right choice. It is not that difficult to get warm, big and nice sounds from the P12, even just using one oscillator. However, you have to do a lot of small things to get there… It will never be instant gratification, but it can be very rewarding. Recently I’ve added the X to my collection. I had to sell almost all my instruments to fund this machine. But I still have my P12. It has some magic…, a strange chameleon which keeps surprising me.

Great! I kept P12 and got ob-6.
I kind a like to collect synth, so I’ve got ms-20, ob-6, p12, sub37 and saving money for moog one.

Anyway, I kept it for reasons that it’s 61 keys, 2 ribbon controller and I felt like if I suck at making P12 sounds great, any kind of synth I buy it won’t be that useful(this mind set..lol). So even though I got sub37 and ob-6 most of my to go synth is P12.
I’ve been trying to mimic some of wonderful Ob-6 preset to P12 so that I can play those sounds on gigs.

Btw, what’s your tips to make p12 sound greater? Please share your thoughts!

Thanks.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 10:15:30 PM »
Another great resource for P12 bass madness is to crank the resonance on the HPF, and then slowly bring up the cutoff on the HPF until you get a huge bass bump in the area you like.  It's warmer and unlike the Girth parameter, it's analog.  Warms up lots of patches.  Your HPF Resonance parameter in essence becomes a tunable Bass Boost. 

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 04:55:16 PM »
Another great resource for P12 bass madness is to crank the resonance on the HPF, and then slowly bring up the cutoff on the HPF until you get a huge bass bump in the area you like.  It's warmer and unlike the Girth parameter, it's analog.  Warms up lots of patches.  Your HPF Resonance parameter in essence becomes a tunable Bass Boost.

Thanks, it works exactly as you described. I used to use Girth quite, but now i learned this HPF thing.
Wondering why is that. Why Hpf resonance parameter helps boost bass... anyway, thank you so much for a new technique.