REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #300 on: April 17, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
You can indeed modulate the FX parameters as well as the FX mix. While they're certainly not as expansive as a dedicated outboard effects processor, it's still tons of fun and the modulation opens a lot of new possibilities.
Thank you for the info.
That sounds awesome :)

wavelogue

« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2017, 08:57:07 PM »
Got my pre-order in today for a 16-voice  : )

eXode

« Reply #302 on: April 23, 2017, 02:43:43 AM »
I'd love to see a polyphonic Dual and Quad mode where Pan Spread pan the voices L and R.

« Reply #303 on: April 23, 2017, 07:31:26 AM »
I'd love to see a polyphonic Dual and Quad mode where Pan Spread pan the voices L and R.

That would be quite the feature, and it shouldn't require anything unusual from a hardware or software perspective!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #304 on: April 24, 2017, 02:53:53 AM »
It looks like switching between patches on the fly might be a bit tricky.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #305 on: May 03, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
I wonder how long it will be until the Mopho x4 is discontinued, and also, if DSI will introduce a parallel smaller version of the Prophet Rev2? 

« Reply #306 on: May 03, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
No plans to discontinue the x4 at this time, I think it'll be around for a while.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #307 on: May 03, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
Okay.  Thanks.

« Reply #308 on: May 08, 2017, 06:15:06 AM »
Having read the manual, the Rev 2 still looks like the synth I'm most likely to invest in next.  I toyed with the idea of a DM12 or a Peak or even a JD-XA... but the Rev 2 still appeals more despite already owning a P'08.

My only request is that it have more flexible Local Off options.  I would love to use a Rev 2 as my controller keyboard, as it will probably have better keys than anything else I own, but I've found the P'08 impractical to use in this way as Local Off also turns off all the panel controls as well as the keys and wheels.

The flexibility of being able to select whether Local Off effects just 'keys and wheels', or 'keys, wheels and panel' would be enormously useful in a studio environment.

« Reply #309 on: May 08, 2017, 07:25:16 PM »
The flexibility of being able to select whether Local Off effects just 'keys and wheels', or 'keys, wheels and panel' would be enormously useful in a studio environment.

Yes I agree totally with this, it'd be brilliant if it could be implemented. :)

dsetto

« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2017, 10:43:57 PM »
... I would love to use a Rev 2 as my controller keyboard ...  but I've found the P'08 impractical to use in this way as Local Off also turns off all the panel controls as well as the keys and wheels.

At 1st I was going to chime in, "+2, brilliant." ...

Couldn't you simply do one of the following:
- turn the main volume to zero
- disconnect the outputs

« Reply #311 on: May 10, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
... I would love to use a Rev 2 as my controller keyboard ...  but I've found the P'08 impractical to use in this way as Local Off also turns off all the panel controls as well as the keys and wheels.

At 1st I was going to chime in, "+2, brilliant." ...

Couldn't you simply do one of the following:
- turn the main volume to zero
- disconnect the outputs
I could but unfortunately that doesn't help once the Prophet is being sequenced externally, which is usually from an early stage in writing anything.  In practice it's set to Local On 90% of the time, while I'm trying out sounds and ideas, but then gets switched to Local Off once I'm recording MIDI into a DAW, otherwise I'm getting note doubling.  That's expected, and I would get that with any keyboard.  However, I often like to change program or adjust parameters to an existing sound when I'm working on a track, and I need to switch Local On to do this, which makes it awkward to continue using the Prophet as a controller keyboard at the same time.  The end result is that I spend a lot of time going into Globals and toggling between Local On and Off, which can be a bit of a workflow killer.

By contrast my Mono Evolver Keyboard keeps the panel controls 'live' when Local is Off and I find it much easier to work with... but of course, it's only 3 octaves.

« Reply #312 on: May 15, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
This might seem like a daft question... but is there visually any way to tell apart an 8-voice from a 16-voice Rev2?

« Reply #313 on: May 15, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »
This might seem like a daft question... but is there visually any way to tell apart an 8-voice from a 16-voice Rev2?

The only visual indication of whether it's 8 or 16 voices is on the display at start-up; otherwise, 8 and 16 voice Prophet Rev2s are identical externally. Internally, the only difference is the absence or presence of the voice expansion PCB.
SEQUENTIAL

dslsynth

« Reply #314 on: May 17, 2017, 03:35:01 PM »
The only visual indication of whether it's 8 or 16 voices is on the display at start-up

Any way determine the number of voices via MIDI?

Would be lovely if inquiry response message informed about voice count or at least if it was the 8 or 16 voice model.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #315 on: May 17, 2017, 04:36:06 PM »
The only visual indication of whether it's 8 or 16 voices is on the display at start-up

Any way determine the number of voices via MIDI?

Would be lovely if inquiry response message informed about voice count or at least if it was the 8 or 16 voice model.

When the universal device inquiry is received, the Prophet Rev2 sends an NRPN to indicate if there are 8 or 16 voices.
SEQUENTIAL

dslsynth

« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2017, 10:23:40 AM »
When the universal device inquiry is received, the Prophet Rev2 sends an NRPN to indicate if there are 8 or 16 voices.

Perfect! What is the number of that NRPN message and what values indicate 8 and 16 voices?

. o O ( TIA )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #317 on: May 18, 2017, 04:27:06 PM »
NRPN 4191. 0 = 8 voices, 1 = 16 voices.
SEQUENTIAL

dslsynth

« Reply #318 on: May 22, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
Thanks for the answer!

If I should file a change request it would be that the model number in the inquiry response message were different for the 8 and 16 voice models. Its easier to handle this way for my setup. Hence: I suggest doing both that and the NRPN.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #319 on: August 29, 2017, 05:47:31 AM »
If they do a 16 voice module with MPE support I would buy it on the spot.

Me too!