REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

synthlabs

• Synthesizing the future. One day at a time.
    • Synthetic Things
Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2017, 05:45:40 AM »
I just watched a vid demoing the step sequencer on the PROPHET rev2:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QPp5yVQGA

I played it back a few times and it appears that it's a 16-step sequencer (dual, of course). I was under the impression it would be 64 like the P6/OB6. Does anyone know what the case is here? 16 would suck :/

Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests. (Like Ob/P6)
Separate 16 x 4 gated step sequencer. (Like P08/Mopho)
Each layer can have a separate sequence.

« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2017, 12:13:35 PM »
I just watched a vid demoing the step sequencer on the PROPHET rev2:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QPp5yVQGA

I played it back a few times and it appears that it's a 16-step sequencer (dual, of course). I was under the impression it would be 64 like the P6/OB6. Does anyone know what the case is here? 16 would suck :/

Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests. (Like Ob/P6)
Separate 16 x 4 gated step sequencer. (Like P08/Mopho)
Each layer can have a separate sequence.

Thanks for that info. My only experience with DSI is the P6 and OB6. Would it allow 2 layers, both with 64 steps, or does it divide? I guess I don't understand the difference between the poly seq and the gated one.

« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »

Thanks for that info. My only experience with DSI is the P6 and OB6. Would it allow 2 layers, both with 64 steps, or does it divide? I guess I don't understand the difference between the poly seq and the gated one.

You can have a gated sequence or a poly sequence on each layer. If you had a poly sequence on both layers, you still get 64 steps with up to 6 notes per step for each sequence.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »

I would strongly assume that you will get 64 steps for each layer, since that feature is not related to the number of voices. The difference between the sequencer modes is the following:
In poly mode, the sequencer is basically for recording notes or chords, like a MIDI sequencer. In gate mode, the sequencer operates like a modulation source. You will also be able to control notes, but for that you have to assign one sequencer track to control the frequency of one or both oscillators. It will also allow you to modulate any other parameter available like the filter frequency for example. So in practice that means that the gate mode is more related to automated control and sound design, while the poly mode is a straightforward option to enter musical snapshots like chord sequences or melodies.

« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »

I would strongly assume that you will get 64 steps for each layer, since that feature is not related to the number of voices. The difference between the sequencer modes is the following:
In poly mode, the sequencer is basically for recording notes or chords, like a MIDI sequencer. In gate mode, the sequencer operates like a modulation source. You will also be able to control notes, but for that you have to assign one sequencer track to control the frequency of one or both oscillators. It will also allow you to modulate any other parameter available like the filter frequency for example. So in practice that means that the gate mode is more related to automated control and sound design, while the poly mode is a straightforward option to enter musical snapshots like chord sequences or melodies.

Oh that's awesome re: the automation. Definitely can't wait for the Rev2. I've been force-feeding automation to my VCO DSIs via the DAW, but in the box is always preferable!

« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
Also you can run the sequencers at different tempos and time divisions giving many possibilities for detailed sequences!

Re: REV2 (16
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »

If such is the case, if this is Dave's actual reasoning, then it would be consistent to bring back as well a successor to the Pro One.  I know - there's the Pro 2 - but that's an entirely different instrument.  A Pro One REV2 would be one voice of the Prophet-6.  It could be called a "Prophet One".

I sure hope so.  I really want the sound of the Pro One, and as much as I like all the things that get close (Evolver, Mopho, Pro 2, AS-1), none of them really nail *that sound*.  They're all amazing for what they are, but they aren't a Pro One.

« Reply #287 on: February 24, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »
Indeed, who wouldn't prefer an Andromeda A6 to nearly every other synthesizer?  I certainly would.  But is it worth the gamble?  No service, hard to find parts, bugs.  Otherwise, it would be a no-brainer.

I mean that's like any other classic or vintage synth. If I could find one in good condition for a good price I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I really wish another of it's kind would come out. It really was where analog synthesis should have been heading to. Despite it bankrupting Alesis I think if they brought it out now it would sell very well and blow the Rev 2 away.  think it simply came down to poor timing. There was no analog boom or resurgence at the time of it's release so nobody really knew what to make of the thing.

It brings up an interesting point, which is to say that DSI really needs a multi-timbral flagship with more than two layers, built-in effects, dual filters (a la the Pro-2), etc. The REV2 seems to have wasted a tremendous amount of capability at 16 voices with only two layers....

I know I've said it a dozen times but it have been nice to have done the Rev 2 with 8 voices with the new features bi timbral and the 16 voice multitimbral. If they had the intention to put out two synths and two different price points why not have two different sets of features? By default most people will get the 16 voice because it's not that drastic of a price difference and people generally want more. The eight voice is redundant as most people are going to upgrade later anyway but again the price difference isn't that drastic so they'll most likely just save a bit more and get the 16. I don't mean to harp on it but I just feel they sort of missed an opportunity.

If nothing else, transmitting >2 midi zones would make it the ideal 5 octave master controller. 2 onboard sounds, then use the other zones to play other modules / sound sources. That seems like it would be doable in a future software rev.

« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2017, 04:49:06 AM »
I just wish you could have more than one split. Especially with this much power why not have like 4 different zones with different patches? That would be something really unique in today's market.

Well, not really unique... If you look at the Radikal Technologies Accelerator that is a great sounding DSP based synth, you get 5 octaves but also up to 8 parts multi-timbral with separate sequencer and FX by part (20 voices with one expansion card extending the multi-timbrality from 2 to 8. You can get a second extension bringing it to 32 voices...)

For the DSI synth providing a sequencer and arp I think they should at least be tri-timbral so you could play one part with chords, one part with arp and also get one part run by the sequencer.
This would be unique and as far as I'm aware, no manufacturer is providing this...
And it is a pity that when you get 16 voices, arp and seq you are limited to 2 parts instead of 3.
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

LoboLives

« Reply #289 on: March 21, 2017, 07:03:57 AM »
I just wish you could have more than one split. Especially with this much power why not have like 4 different zones with different patches? That would be something really unique in today's market.

Well, not really unique... If you look at the Radikal Technologies Accelerator that is a great sounding DSP based synth, you get 5 octaves but also up to 8 parts multi-timbral with separate sequencer and FX by part (20 voices with one expansion card extending the multi-timbrality from 2 to 8. You can get a second extension bringing it to 32 voices...)

For the DSI synth providing a sequencer and arp I think they should at least be tri-timbral so you could play one part with chords, one part with arp and also get one part run by the sequencer.
This would be unique and as far as I'm aware, no manufacturer is providing this...
And it is a pity that when you get 16 voices, arp and seq you are limited to 2 parts instead of 3.

I meant unique for an analog instrument that's on the market.

LoboLives

« Reply #290 on: March 21, 2017, 07:06:51 AM »
With the Polyphonic sequencer can you transpose it on the fly without having to hold down the record button? I know someone said you can do it with the gated sequencer but it would be incredible to have that option for the polyphonic sequencer as well. Just don't want to have to keep breaking out tape to hold down the record button on my Prophet 6. ;)

eXode

« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »
I hope we get a sneak peek of the REV2 manual soon! :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #292 on: April 06, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »
On the purely practical level, there are several aspects of the Rev2 that I'm hoping will solve a few music room dilemmas.  First is the obvious benefit of having onboard effects.  I actually need only reverb and delay, and since I use a Lexicon MX300 for reverb, I'm lacking only delay.  The Rev2's onboard delay will allow for the elimination of an effects unit.  That's one power cable and two audio chords less.  Alas!  But even better is the panning issue.  Since the larger version of the Rev2 has sixteen voices, as well as a pair of B Output jacks, it has the much-coveted ability to be an eight-voice bi-timbral stereo instrument.  One Rev2 will be the equivalent of a Prophet '08 Keyboard and Module pair.  This is incredibly exciting, and will greatly simplify my set up.  If DSI also issues a Rev2 Module version, then I'll be in music room heaven.

My present Prophet '08 set up has tuned into a bit of a nightmare and produced a total music room mess.  The module-heavy set up has gobbled up all my power outlets, mixer channels, and physical space.  I've actually packed away all the P'08 pieces, and now am using an all-Evolver set up.  It's simple and tidy, but it amounts to one keyboard too few.  Three keyboards is the perfect number for my needs.

Ah, I'm looking forward to the REV2!  I do hope it sounds at least as good as the Prophet '08.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:02:18 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #293 on: April 06, 2017, 10:32:39 AM »
I personally hope it has the ability to sound a bit more like the P6 than P08. But it seems to have a bit more of a hands on approach and a bit more of a knob to the vintage ability of the P6 than P08. With slop, "pulse width" etc If it has the ability to transpose polyphonic sequences on the fly and without having to hold anything down...then I'd easily get this as a compliment to the P6 set up I have. I'm still a bit on the fence on it. If Marc Doty does a extensive and in depth review like he usually does, then I'll make my decision based on that. There's a couple things that are make or break for me that I'm not sure about yet.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #294 on: April 06, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
I personally hope it has the ability to sound a bit more like the P6 than P08.

Yes, that would be a happy improvement.  I'm sure there will soon be Prophet '08/Rev2 comparison videos galore.  Perhaps we'll have a few from Starsky Carr.  It's the most obvious synthesizer comparison to presently make.  But I also intend to make the comparison myself, since these situations often turn out to be other than as we had hoped. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #295 on: April 13, 2017, 07:50:55 AM »
Still hoping for a knobby Rev2 Module, Prophet '08 style....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:14:50 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #296 on: April 13, 2017, 08:53:58 AM »
Something I noticed: Dave has always been about "If you want more...use the modules polychain them." Yet this essentially is a polychained Prophet 08 (although with a better interface).

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #297 on: April 13, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
True, but why not offer a module version to those who don't want a keyboard version, and let those who would use both in combination do so?  There's something for everyone in the two version option.

« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »
On the purely practical level, there are several aspects of the Rev2 that I'm hoping will solve a few music room dilemmas.  First is the obvious benefit of having onboard effects.  I actually need only reverb and delay, and since I use a Lexicon MX300 for reverb, I'm lacking only delay.  The Rev2's onboard delay will allow for the elimination of an effects unit.  That's one power cable and two audio chords less.  Alas!  But even better is the panning issue.  Since the larger version of the Rev2 has sixteen voices, as well as a pair of B Output jacks, it has the much-coveted ability to be an eight-voice bi-timbral stereo instrument.  One Rev2 will be the equivalent of a Prophet '08 Keyboard and Module pair.  This is incredibly exciting, and will greatly simplify my set up.  If DSI also issues a Rev2 Module version, then I'll be in music room heaven.

My present Prophet '08 set up has tuned into a bit of a nightmare and produced a total music room mess.  The module-heavy set up has gobbled up all my power outlets, mixer channels, and physical space.  I've actually packed away all the P'08 pieces, and now am using an all-Evolver set up.  It's simple and tidy, but it amounts to one keyboard too few.  Three keyboards is the perfect number for my needs.

Ah, I'm looking forward to the REV2!  I do hope it sounds at least as good as the Prophet '08.
Every synth I own goes through Eventide boxes so for me the rev2 would be just fine without any FX  :) They never sound on par with eventide/strymon. Now, if you could modulate FX parameters then yes even lower quality would make sense.
I do get the "space" benefit but in my opinion resources spent on those subpar  sounding FX would be better spent somewhere else.
Unless DSI put some serious FX there and I'm wrong of course :)

True, but why not offer a module version to those who don't want a keyboard version, and let those who would use both in combination do so?  There's something for everyone in the two version option.
I'm almost certain they will do a module but question remains if it will look like the 08 one or the prophet 12 with close to none knobs.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:58:09 AM by Eastern Noise »

« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2017, 02:34:17 PM »
You can indeed modulate the FX parameters as well as the FX mix. While they're certainly not as expansive as a dedicated outboard effects processor, it's still tons of fun and the modulation opens a lot of new possibilities.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM