REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

Sacred Synthesis

Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2017, 06:11:36 AM »
It's definitely the "new and improved" Prophet '08.  But I'll be very interested to compare its sound with the original.

« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2017, 06:23:10 AM »

I agree. I'm opting for the 16 just for long tails not having any note robbery going. And I think that you are dead on about that being the 8 voice keyboard. I listened again and I can distinctly hear the note loss. That video showed off the mod new mod assign style and now I'm super excited. It's the little things that changed that I'm looking forward to the most (like not using a pot to select osc wave).

I opted for 8 voice because with tax it was exactly the cash I got for selling a barely used phatty stage 2 and an unused LA2A clone I had lying around.... the other 8 voices are in my future if it makes sense. Either way, very very stoked to finally have a poly around and my first Dave Smith. I have no idea where its going to go in my tiny room though....

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2017, 06:29:44 AM »
It makes sense to buy the eight-voice and spread out the expenses by upgrading later.

eXode

« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2017, 10:18:29 AM »
I'd probably go for the 16 voice myself if I end up getting one. It is looking VERY tempting.

dsetto

« Reply #264 on: February 10, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »
I think it's been said, but, yes, the ability to upgrade the voices is a great feature. If there's doubt, start at $1500. If & when it makes sense, upgrade. Less $ commitment, fun install. win-win. And we write about it. Triple-win.

« Reply #265 on: February 10, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
From the video looks like the sequencer is set up similarly in concept to OB6. (meaning having ability to play/solo on top of the sequence).  If that is the case then a nice feature would be for this instrument to allow the "solo" volume to be controlled independent of the sequence.  Also, for chord progression on sequencer to be trigger by playing keys, rather than holding down a button.    Again, just basing this observation from a limited scope from a video here, so maybe it does do this.   But I'm curious what other on-board sequencer users out there think.   I preferred the PEK sequencer options opposed to the OB6's options.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LoboLives

« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2017, 03:50:56 AM »
From the video looks like the sequencer is set up similarly in concept to OB6. (meaning having ability to play/solo on top of the sequence).  If that is the case then a nice feature would be for this instrument to allow the "solo" volume to be controlled independent of the sequence.  Also, for chord progression on sequencer to be trigger by playing keys, rather than holding down a button.    Again, just basing this observation from a limited scope from a video here, so maybe it does do this.   But I'm curious what other on-board sequencer users out there think.   I preferred the PEK sequencer options opposed to the OB6's options.

I do prefer the P6/OB6 sequencer except I wish you could transpose it on the fly without having to hold the record button (Again this SHOULD be rectified in a new OS) but it's nice to have both a Poly and Gated sequencer as an option. I think the best sequencers I've seen on board have been the Oberheim Two Voice Pro (It's a bit awkward at first because it's so hands on but it's incredible once you get it going) and the Alesis Andromeda (Which was Multitimbral meaning you could have multiple patch zones/splits and layers going in mix mode and each patch zone or layer could have it's own sequence running all in sync to the same internal clock. This is probably why I would get an Andromeda (warts and all) over a Rev2 because I think there's far more capabilities.

dsetto

« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
From what you've expressed, it sounds like the Andromeda is the current synthesizer you are wanting.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
Indeed, who wouldn't prefer an Andromeda A6 to nearly every other synthesizer?  I certainly would.  But is it worth the gamble?  No service, hard to find parts, bugs.  Otherwise, it would be a no-brainer.

LoboLives

« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2017, 03:04:48 AM »
Indeed, who wouldn't prefer an Andromeda A6 to nearly every other synthesizer?  I certainly would.  But is it worth the gamble?  No service, hard to find parts, bugs.  Otherwise, it would be a no-brainer.

I mean that's like any other classic or vintage synth. If I could find one in good condition for a good price I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I really wish another of it's kind would come out. It really was where analog synthesis should have been heading to. Despite it bankrupting Alesis I think if they brought it out now it would sell very well and blow the Rev 2 away.  think it simply came down to poor timing. There was no analog boom or resurgence at the time of it's release so nobody really knew what to make of the thing.

« Reply #270 on: February 13, 2017, 05:08:04 AM »

I mean that's like any other classic or vintage synth. If I could find one in good condition for a good price I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I really wish another of it's kind would come out. It really was where analog synthesis should have been heading to. Despite it bankrupting Alesis I think if they brought it out now it would sell very well and blow the Rev 2 away.  think it simply came down to poor timing. There was no analog boom or resurgence at the time of it's release so nobody really knew what to make of the thing.

It brings up an interesting point, which is to say that DSI really needs a multi-timbral flagship with more than two layers, built-in effects, dual filters (a la the Pro-2), etc. The REV2 seems to have wasted a tremendous amount of capability at 16 voices with only two layers....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #271 on: February 13, 2017, 06:23:57 AM »
It brings up an interesting point, which is to say that DSI really needs a multi-timbral flagship with more than two layers, built-in effects, dual filters (a la the Pro-2), etc. The REV2 seems to have wasted a tremendous amount of capability at 16 voices with only two layers....

The reason the Rev2 is so cheap is because its a Prophet08x2. They aren't rethinking synthesis here. They added another 8 voices and looked at how to integrate it without breaking the instrument and restarting design. So it might not be what you are looking for, but it give you a prophet 08 on steroids. the extra 8 voices gives you options you never had. Its a beast update that will sell like crazy. Everything about it is logical form a production standpoint. All their years of development patched together in a simple way.

Dave smith doesn't "need" a multi-timbral flagship with all those things you mentioned. Who knows if they will do it eventually, but they are killing it right now and they know how to run a business. They also are very in tune with price points.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2017, 07:38:15 AM »

I mean that's like any other classic or vintage synth.

Right, but the condition of the Andromeda put it in that vintage category of concern rather quickly.  I wouldn't have nearly the same concern about the Poly Evolver Keyboard, even though it was discontinued only a short time after the Andromeda.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:40:58 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #273 on: February 13, 2017, 07:41:53 AM »
The reason the Rev2 is so cheap is because its a Prophet08x2. They aren't rethinking synthesis here. They added another 8 voices and looked at how to integrate it without breaking the instrument and restarting design.

Exactly.  The Prophet REV2 is simply a large-scale Prophet '08 with a few extra features.  It's not a new instrument; it's an old instrument that's been upgraded.

LoboLives

« Reply #274 on: February 13, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »

I know I've said it a dozen times but it have been nice to have done the Rev 2 with 8 voices with the new features bi timbral and the 16 voice multitimbral. If they had the intention to put out two synths and two different price points why not have two different sets of features? By default most people will get the 16 voice because it's not that drastic of a price difference and people generally want more. The eight voice is redundant as most people are going to upgrade later anyway but again the price difference isn't that drastic so they'll most likely just save a bit more and get the 16. I don't mean to harp on it but I just feel they sort of missed an opportunity.

« Reply #275 on: February 13, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
By default most people will get the 16 voice because it's not that drastic of a price difference and people generally want more. The eight voice is redundant as most people are going to upgrade later anyway but again the price difference isn't that drastic so they'll most likely just save a bit more and get the 16. I don't mean to harp on it but I just feel they sort of missed an opportunity.

See your bolded line. Dave smith offers 2 versions of a synth making it affordable and most people upgrade later if they don't get the 16 in the beginning. They basically in the long run are only selling REV2 16 voice. THATS a sweet deal for them. Adding more features to the 16 would have required architecture changes that I bet they explored and decided against because the R&D wasn't worth it. They are cashing in on an easy (and awesome) upgrade.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #276 on: February 13, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »
I hold nothing against DSI for this "cashing in."  I would have been happy if they had only maintained the Prophet '08.  I'm even happier that they have improved it.  A new synthesizer next time around; for now, an improvement of an old standard.

LoboLives

« Reply #277 on: February 13, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »
I'll have to give it a whirl when it comes in the stores here. I may change my feelings towards it.

« Reply #278 on: February 13, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
Dave smith doesn't "need" a multi-timbral flagship with all those things you mentioned. Who knows if they will do it eventually, but they are killing it right now and they know how to run a business. They also are very in tune with price points.

I suppose that one could consider the Tempest to be a six-of-sixteen (with voice stealing) part multi-timbral unit, though it lacks built-in effects. It may be as close to the notion of an analogue (or hybrid) workstation as currently exists....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:59:06 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #279 on: February 15, 2017, 02:10:43 AM »
I just watched a vid demoing the step sequencer on the PROPHET rev2:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QPp5yVQGA

I played it back a few times and it appears that it's a 16-step sequencer (dual, of course). I was under the impression it would be 64 like the P6/OB6. Does anyone know what the case is here? 16 would suck :/