REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

Sacred Synthesis

Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2017, 05:44:36 PM »
That's the mystery.  I had thought this new instrument announced at NAMM 2017 might be a Sequential synthesizer, but I do think the present decision was a smart one.  The Prophet '08 needed and deserved to be resuscitated. 

I would expect the next opportunity for a Sequential instrument would be a monophonic VCO synthesizer, sort of a Pro One REV2.  But the Toraiz AS-1 makes that unlikely.  For what it's worth, I'd love to see DSI produce such a keyboard instrument - an old school analog mono synth with a three-octave keyboard and onboard effects.  Call it the Toraiz AS-1 Keyboard.  Oh, aren't we just full of ideas!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:47:31 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #221 on: February 07, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »
I think DSI reserved Sequential for the P5 successor. I also feel that's the end of poly VCOs from them. That may be best, as it keeps those two as flagship legends. An 8 or 12-voice would be amazing, but then you can just grab a module. Same for the short keybed...it is what it is.

It is a shame to see the Sequential name come back for a very late encore appearance, and not be used further. Sequential Circuits sounds and looks a lot cooler than DSI. Sorry, but it's true lol. However, the Prophet line is an even cooler name and series, so I'm excited to see that continue on the Rev2!

« Reply #222 on: February 07, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
Prophet Rev2

Good decision. Thanks DSI!

« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2017, 09:32:14 PM »
I'm sure Dave Smith is (rightfully) very protective of what he puts the "Prophet" name on.  The P-08 was very worthy of the Prophet name.  He was probably testing the waters before he crowned the Rev2 with the Prophet name.

I think that "Sequential" may be problematic for future instruments.  While Dave Smith became famous under the Sequential Circuits name - the company ultimately failed.  I'm sure it was a terrible time for him and he has some bittersweet memories of Sequential.  I'd probably be a little superstitious about including a failed company name on my products.  He's become very successful again under DSI.  Why tempt fate.     
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

dsetto

« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »
Good news.

eXode

« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2017, 01:48:22 AM »
Hires product photos have been updated too: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product-photos/

LoboLives

« Reply #226 on: February 08, 2017, 03:41:09 AM »
Question is regards to the sequencer. Is it possible to have only one layer or split play it's sequence while you play the other layer or split manually?

Also is it possible to transpose these sequences on the fly (ala Moog Sub 37?)

LoboLives

« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2017, 03:49:48 AM »
I think DSI reserved Sequential for the P5 successor. I also feel that's the end of poly VCOs from them. That may be best, as it keeps those two as flagship legends. An 8 or 12-voice would be amazing, but then you can just grab a module. Same for the short keybed...it is what it is.

It is a shame to see the Sequential name come back for a very late encore appearance, and not be used further. Sequential Circuits sounds and looks a lot cooler than DSI. Sorry, but it's true lol. However, the Prophet line is an even cooler name and series, so I'm excited to see that continue on the Rev2!

I really hope that's not the case. What a waste that would be to make such a big deal about "Sequential is back" for just a one off.

Perhaps, just speculating here. There would be a branch off or subsidiary company under the DSI banner with the Sequential name which focuses on higher end instruments (higher price range, VCOs, VS synthesis etc) with limited production while the DSI name focuses on lower cost more accessible instruments. Perhaps if DSI grows larger (Which I'm confident it will) this may be a possibility.

« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2017, 03:54:09 AM »
Question is regards to the sequencer. Is it possible to have only one layer or split play it's sequence while you play the other layer or split manually?

Each layer has it's own sequence, so yes, you can do what you were asking for.

The Prophet '08's gated sequencer transposes on the fly. If the REV2's polyphonic sequencer - i.e. the second sequencer mode - operates like the one in the Prophet-6 and OB-6 it won't unless you press the REC button while playing.

LoboLives

« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2017, 04:09:49 AM »

The Prophet '08's gated sequencer transposes on the fly. If the REV2's polyphonic sequencer - i.e. the second sequencer mode - operates like the one in the Prophet-6 and OB-6 it won't unless you press the REC button while playing.

Interesting cause I noticed on the demos when Sequence is engaged and either split or stack button is pressed BOTH sequences play as opposed to one or the other.

« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2017, 04:15:58 AM »

Interesting cause I noticed on the demos when Sequence is engaged and either split or stack button is pressed BOTH sequences play as opposed to one or the other.

That may be because the single layers have been edited this way, i.e. with the sequencer activated for each layer. On the Prophet '08 at least, you can activate the sequencer individually per layer.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2017, 06:29:32 AM »
I'm sure Dave Smith is (rightfully) very protective of what he puts the "Prophet" name on.  The P-08 was very worthy of the Prophet name.  He was probably testing the waters before he crowned the Rev2 with the Prophet name.

That's the truth.  But it was strange that the name "Prophet" was at first withheld from a synthesizer that was clearly and strictly an upgrade of a previous Prophet synthesizer.

LoboLives

« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2017, 06:32:54 AM »

That may be because the single layers have been edited this way, i.e. with the sequencer activated for each layer. On the Prophet '08 at least, you can activate the sequencer individually per layer.

Hmm is there a way you can lower/raise the volume or manipulate a layer in real time without affecting the other layer? Just thinking of having one sequence play while slowly bringing in another with another patch. Not sure if this is possible or not.

« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2017, 06:50:57 AM »
Placed an order a few days ago for the REV2. I have been wanting a poly for a long time and this looks like it might be the one. I went with the 8 voice because I don't really see a reason for 16 and I had a Facebook discussion with DSI. They mentioned that the price for the extra voices should be around $500. So even if they charge a premium to add-on the extra voices, it wont be much. For those of us looking for a cheaper start into the DSI world, its nice to know we can add the extra voices with out getting gouged later on.

I am going to dive into some videos on how the 08 sequencer works. I have a Moog sub37 and the sequencer is amazing. you can edit each note after the fact and really tweak your sequence. the use of lights for this are also brilliant. Also the Moog software is literally perfect for the sub 37. A huge asset for deep diving easily. I hope DSI has something in store for the REV2. Either way, I am excited to try it....we shall see if I end up keeping it!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2017, 07:10:24 AM »
Ah, a pre-orderer.  You're the kind of guy that keeps DSI in business!  As opposed to those of us who wait up to a year until an instrument has received its upgrades.

I hope you're thrilled with the Prophet REV2.

LoboLives

« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2017, 07:17:48 AM »
Placed an order a few days ago for the REV2. I have been wanting a poly for a long time and this looks like it might be the one. I went with the 8 voice because I don't really see a reason for 16 and I had a Facebook discussion with DSI. They mentioned that the price for the extra voices should be around $500. So even if they charge a premium to add-on the extra voices, it wont be much. For those of us looking for a cheaper start into the DSI world, its nice to know we can add the extra voices with out getting gouged later on.

I am going to dive into some videos on how the 08 sequencer works. I have a Moog sub37 and the sequencer is amazing. you can edit each note after the fact and really tweak your sequence. the use of lights for this are also brilliant. Also the Moog software is literally perfect for the sub 37. A huge asset for deep diving easily. I hope DSI has something in store for the REV2. Either way, I am excited to try it....we shall see if I end up keeping it!

Agreed I would never get a 16 voice for the Rev 2. Unless it's multitimbral like the Andromeda there's no sense in getting a 16 voice when it's only Bitimbral. Plus like I said before after so many voices it just sounds like a mess and the nuances are indistinguishable...especially in stack mode.

« Reply #236 on: February 08, 2017, 07:32:18 AM »

Agreed I would never get a 16 voice for the Rev 2. Unless it's multitimbral like the Andromeda there's no sense in getting a 16 voice when it's only Bitimbral. Plus like I said before after so many voices it just sounds like a mess and the nuances are indistinguishable...especially in stack mode.

I am curious if there are any pad patches that will truly benefit from the layering.  Realistically I doubt that will fit in a mix at all. Where I could see this being useful is during a jam session where the keyboardist does a loop and then plays over top of it with the second layer. This might be useful. Not for me, but for my far better keyboardists friends. The only other would be if you have a huge slow pad that needs more than 8 voices or you can hear it stealing voices. This will be an issue for me .005% of the time, so I will save the money for now.

« Reply #237 on: February 08, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »
Hmm is there a way you can lower/raise the volume or manipulate a layer in real time without affecting the other layer? Just thinking of having one sequence play while slowly bringing in another with another patch. Not sure if this is possible or not.

Sure. Each layer is basically an independent patch. You can program one layer's VCA or oscillator level to be controlled by the mod wheel or an expression pedal while the other layer is already present from the get-go.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: REV2 (16
« Reply #238 on: February 08, 2017, 07:56:41 AM »
I would be interested in the Prophet REV2 sixteen-voice even if it was mono-tymbral.  One of the most annoying shortcomings of polyphonic synthesizers, due to the paucity of voices, is the resultant "pop" of voice re-assignments.  Sixteen voices would put you above and beyond that shortcoming.  Consider left-handed arpeggios, which can at times cover the entire five-octave range. If you're playing a melody with your right hand and an accompaniment with your left, it's easily possible to strike and have ringing from eight to ten notes.  With only eight voices, the ninth note will rob you of the first note, which is likely to be the lowest and the root of the chord - the worst note of all to lose. 

This is only one example of the benefits of having sixteen voices.  In bi-tymbral mode, it's even more true that the more voices you have, the greater the musical potential.  On my eight-voice Prophet '08's, I'm constantly running out of voices, especially in bi-tymbral mode.  It's a real problem that I'm expecting the Prophet REV2 will at last solve. 

If all goes well and I'm satisfied with the instrument, I intend to eventually get two sixteen-voice REV2's.  If I get an eight-voice, it will be as a part-time monophonic instrument.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:12:31 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #239 on: February 08, 2017, 08:06:59 AM »

I am curious if there are any pad patches that will truly benefit from the layering.  Realistically I doubt that will fit in a mix at all. Where I could see this being useful is during a jam session where the keyboardist does a loop and then plays over top of it with the second layer. This might be useful. Not for me, but for my far better keyboardists friends. The only other would be if you have a huge slow pad that needs more than 8 voices or you can hear it stealing voices. This will be an issue for me .005% of the time, so I will save the money for now.

One of the HEAVIEST pads I've ever heard were on the Scarface soundtrack for Tony's Theme by Giorgio Moroder. That was a CS-80 which only had 8 voices. The second being the Jan Hammer strings on Crocket's Theme from Miami Vice are from the Jupiter 8 (again only eight voices). So really at what point does it just become unnecessary and too cacophonous to really work alongside anything.