REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2017, 08:19:46 PM »

There will be an indicator on the display when you've arrived at the originally programmed parameter value.

There is also a "show" function, by holding the Misc Params button and turning a knob or pressing a button the current value of the parameter is displayed without changing the value itself. Note the current value will be the same as the programmed parameter value when you first recall a preset, but if you've edited the preset it will display whatever value you've changed it to.

Well, the old saying "if it isn't broke.... etc. Please don't redesign things from the original that already make the synth brilliant in the first place. This new synth is going to be fantastic but just read what you have posted above and look how much more convoluted your 'new' method is compared to just simply displaying current value and the edited value.
Don't make it into a 'designed by committee' nightmare.
The way this is already implemented is perfect. Why would you change that?

Bump for Robot Heart.

« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:55 AM »

There will be an indicator on the display when you've arrived at the originally programmed parameter value.

There is also a "show" function, by holding the Misc Params button and turning a knob or pressing a button the current value of the parameter is displayed without changing the value itself. Note the current value will be the same as the programmed parameter value when you first recall a preset, but if you've edited the preset it will display whatever value you've changed it to.

Well, the old saying "if it isn't broke.... etc. Please don't redesign things from the original that already make the synth brilliant in the first place. This new synth is going to be fantastic but just read what you have posted above and look how much more convoluted your 'new' method is compared to just simply displaying current value and the edited value.

Bump for Robot Heart.

Bump again. Would like Robot Heart from DSI to comment on if they can avoid going through this convoluted way of doing things and go back to the way it is already implemented.

LoboLives

« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2017, 03:42:45 AM »
Is there a way to shut off the OLED display? Ever since I've started working with the Prophet 6 I've grown further and further away from menus and find them a bit distracting now or would that be detrimental to the programming of the Rev2?

« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2017, 04:36:52 AM »

Bump for Robot Heart.

Bump again. Would like Robot Heart from DSI to comment on if they can avoid going through this convoluted way of doing things and go back to the way it is already implemented.

Perhaps it's worth e-mailing DSI directly, if you feel so strongly that this behavior should be carried over as an option to the new display format....

Post bumps are noisy for those of us who run forum crawlers or simply view the forum channels by new posts.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
Perhaps it's worth e-mailing DSI directly, if you feel so strongly that this behavior should be carried over as an option to the new display format....

Post bumps are noisy for those of us who run forum crawlers or simply view the forum channels by new posts.

Perhaps you could learn to be more tolerant and try and live in the not so perfect world the rest of us have to inhabit......
Believe me, you will be reading MUCH more on here about this change of operation from new owners once the synth is released.

« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »
Perhaps you could learn to be more tolerant and try and live in the not so perfect world the rest of us have to inhabit......
Believe me, you will be reading MUCH more on here about this change of operation from new owners once the synth is released.

What DavidDever suggested was only that it would be far more economic communication-wise for you to just send a feature request to the support. That's what the support is there for.

Making use of the 'bump strategy' the way you did comes across quite aggressive. You quoted the original messages and added a bump, then quote that message again and added another bump, and so on. If anything that signifies a sort of pressure building with which you'd like to urge someone to give you an answer.

However, the answer to the question of how to compare settings between a saved and an edited program has already been given. You even quoted it yourself:

Implementing the compare function this way only streamlines the way the REV2 operates in comparison to all the other current DSI synths. Your response to that only indicated that you think this would be the wrong way to do it and that this would be a "'designed by committee' nightmare" (I don't really get why). Add the way your bump messages come across to that, and you really wonder why you didn't get a 'better' answer anymore?

« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »

What DavidDever suggested was only that it would be far more economic communication-wise for you to just send a feature request to the support. That's what the support is there for.

Making use of the 'bump strategy' the way you did comes across quite aggressive. You quoted the original messages and added a bump, then quote that message again and added another bump, and so on. If anything that signifies a sort of pressure building with which you'd like to urge someone to give you an answer.

However, the answer to the question of how to compare settings between a saved and an edited program has already been given. You even quoted it yourself:

Implementing the compare function this way only streamlines the way the REV2 operates in comparison to all the other current DSI synths. Your response to that only indicated that you think this would be the wrong way to do it and that this would be a "'designed by committee' nightmare" (I don't really get why). Add the way your bump messages come across to that, and you really wonder why you didn't get a 'better' answer anymore?

So, am I not allowed to suggest the original way it was implemented was better?
I already own the Prophet 08. I will buy this synth and have had NOTHING but positive things to say about it since it's announcement. Are you really telling me I can't make a suggestion to someone from DSI who pops in just to say I think it's a backwards step?
Take a look at your post count Paul. Are you really trying to make out that I am posting too much?

« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2017, 03:40:05 PM »
I already own the Prophet 08. I will buy this synth and have had NOTHING but positive things to say about it since it's announcement. Are you really telling me I can't make a suggestion to someone from DSI who pops in just to say I think it's a backwards step?
Take a look at your post count Paul. Are you really trying to make out that I am posting too much?

You are of course allowed to suggest whatever you like. My point was not to highlight what you said, but how you said it. I can't see how that is related to any number of posts.

The thing is though, DSI already decided upon a way to implement the compare function on the REV2. If you don't like it, you basically have two options:
1. Either you send an e-mail to the support in the hope that they will consider your suggestion in case it turns out that this is relevant to enough people (this is what happened with the 'trigger in' request for the Prophet-6), or
2. You just wait until the REV2 has been released and find out for yourself whether the way the compare function has been implemented actually turns out to be an obstacle for you.

« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »

You are of course allowed to suggest whatever you like. My point was not to highlight what you said, but how you said it. I can't see how that is related to any number of posts.

The thing is though, DSI already decided upon a way to implement the compare function on the REV2. If you don't like it, you basically have two options:
1. Either you send an e-mail to the support in the hope that they will consider your suggestion in case it turns out that this is relevant to enough people (this is what happened with the 'trigger in' request for the Prophet-6), or
2. You just wait until the REV2 has been released and find out for yourself whether the way the compare function has been implemented actually turns out to be an obstacle for you.

Or, three, ask the guy from DSI directly on here after he came in to say how it was currently being implemented.
You see how that works?
If someone who actually works for the company comes on here, why would I not ask him? As far as I know, you have nothing to do with DSI whatsoever.
I now understand why your post count is so high.

LoboLives

« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
Children please, let's not make this forum turn into that. We are all musicians and we all have the discipline and patience to program synthesis, we are more than capable of having discipline and patience with each other.

« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
Or, three, ask the guy from DSI directly on here after he came in to say how it was currently being implemented.
You see how that works?
If someone who actually works for the company comes on here, why would I not ask him? As far as I know, you have nothing to do with DSI whatsoever.

Again: I was talking about how you addressed the subject matter. You immediately voiced your opinion in a rather dismissive way based on no practical experience with the REV2 ("Well, the old saying 'if it isn't broke.... etc." / "Don't make it into a 'designed by committee' nightmare." / "this convoluted way of doing things") and then urged Robot Heart to reply to your statement repeatedly.

As for your other remarks:
I'm no employee at DSI, but as a moderator I do keep an eye on how the conversations are going. I have no issues with dissent or vivid debates as long as every contributor pays attention to his or her tone.

And to get this back on topic:
With regard to the REV2's compare functionality it might be good to know whether there's going to be a 'revert parameter' option like on the Prophet 12 and Pro 2, or whether such an option could be added. That way, the manner in which values are being displayed wouldn't have to be altered and reverting single parameter values could be performed much quicker than it can be done on the basis of a displayed comparison of values.

« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2017, 05:33:27 PM »
You see how that works?

Again: I was talking about how you addressed the subject matter. You immediately voiced your opinion in a rather dismissive way based on no practical experience with the REV2 ("Well, the old saying 'if it isn't broke.... etc." / "Don't make it into a 'designed by committee' nightmare." / "this convoluted way of doing things") and then urged Robot Heart to reply to your statement repeatedly.

As for your other remarks:
I'm no employee at DSI, but as a moderator I do keep an eye on how the conversations are going. I have no issues with dissent or vivid debates as long as every contributor pays attention to his or her tone.

And to get this back on topic:
With regard to the REV2's compare functionality it might be good to know whether there's going to be a 'revert parameter' option like on the Prophet 12 and Pro 2, or whether such an option could be added. That way, the manner in which values are being displayed wouldn't have to be altered and reverting single parameter values could be performed much quicker than it can be done on the basis of a displayed comparison of values.

So as moderator, can you please advise how I can address someone from DSI? Is there a special template? :-)
You are going to have the last word anyway. You have dragged this out far longer than I ever intended to do. I won't be replying to you anymore.
Quite a strange way to treat someone who is actually buying this product. Think you probably better just ban me from the forum if buying an update to the synth I already have and having the cheek to ask about it offends you so much.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: REV2 (16
« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »
I understand the concern about the editing of programs on the REV2.  I'm wondering why there was a change as well.  The Prophet '08's design of displaying both the original parameter digit and the new parameter digit at the same time seemed to be ideal because it was simple.  I've never found it in use to be a problem.  Then again, I've not played the newer instruments, so I can't say if DSI has improved on it.  Perhaps they have, and perhaps the REV2 will be more intuitive than it presently appears.  I wish one superior design for changing programs was maintained for all the DSI synthesizers.  But we're all stuck with patiently waiting to try the new design.

Regardless, perhaps Robot Heart could add another explanatory comment here to cool things down.  It would also be handy at some point to have a video demonstration that includes a short demonstration of the OLED screen in use.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:38:17 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »
I'm intrigued that the DSI forum and web site refer to this instrument as the Prophet REV2.  Yet, the name "Prophet" is found nowhere on the instrument.  Will that venerable name ultimately make it to the panel?  If not, then why is it called the Prophet REV2?

« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »
I'm intrigued that the DSI forum and web site refer to this instrument as the Prophet REV2.  Yet, the name "Prophet" is found nowhere on the instrument.  Will that venerable name ultimately make it to the panel?  If not, then why is it called the Prophet REV2?

This! +1

It feels like they are trying to re-invent a product, and that's simply not the case. It's a Prophet.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2017, 04:55:13 PM »
Tell me, did I just never notice the word, or is this a change?  Was the word "Prophet" recently added to the forum and web site?  I thought they had both said only "REV2."  I would love to see the word added to the instrument.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:01:38 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2017, 05:00:50 PM »
Tell me, did I just never notice the word, or is this a change?  Was the word "Prophet" recently added to the forum and web site?  I thought they had both said only "REV2."

It looks like DSI actually read this forum! I know I complained constantly and others did as well. Maybe the point came across? I just noticed this on the front page!!! Sorry, I zoomed in to see. You'll notice it's sporadic across site, some say Rev2, some newer pics shows PROPHET: Rev2. I really hope it's this new style at launch!

Yes, it was just Rev2 prior, you're not going crazy. Just randomly I saw this.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:02:32 PM by TacticalHamster »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »
Incredible!  Yes, we had a discussion about this, and most everybody agreed, the name should be "Prophet REV2".  Well, that's commendable of DSI - that they would listen to us at this late date in the instrument's development.  The Prophet is back! 

« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
Incredible!  Yes, we had a discussion about this, and most everybody agreed, the name should be "Prophet REV2".  Well, that's commendable of DSI - that they would listen to us at this late date in the instrument's development.  The Prophet is back!

I totally agree. I had some kind of iffy service from DSI a while back, and then got some rather great service as well recently. I have to remember that this company is small and crap happens as well as magic. Listening to your users/fans is definitely special when you look at Moog and other companies. Thanks DSI!

LoboLives

« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2017, 05:28:11 PM »
Now all they have to do is put Sequential somewhere on there ;).

In all seriousness it's great they are listening to their fans but I do have to wonder will the Sequential name ever be on another product or was that simply a one off for the Prophet 6 and more on that point would we ever see another VCO based synth from DSI or was the P6 and OB6 a final bow?