REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2017, 12:06:25 PM »
I got a chance to play with the REV 2 yesterday at the DSI booth and it looks and sounds great.  I'm hoping for a desktop version at some point.

The feature I’m most excited about is setting a modulation destination by selecting it directly.  Turn the resonance while holding one of the LFO buttons and then that LFO will be assigned to resonance.   Super easy to set up modulations.  The traditional method of selecting a source and destination still works, but grabbing the destination is really nice.

Are you familiar with the Prophet '08? If so how would you compare them when it comes to sound?

Yavn

« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2017, 08:18:56 PM »
I got a chance to play with the REV 2 yesterday at the DSI booth and it looks and sounds great.  I'm hoping for a desktop version at some point.

The feature I’m most excited about is setting a modulation destination by selecting it directly.  Turn the resonance while holding one of the LFO buttons and then that LFO will be assigned to resonance.   Super easy to set up modulations.  The traditional method of selecting a source and destination still works, but grabbing the destination is really nice.

Are you familiar with the Prophet '08? If so how would you compare them when it comes to sound?

The DSI staff said all the REV2s at the show were prototypes, so take my comments with a grain of salt. It was also pretty noisy on the show floor, even with the headphones on.

Overall with the effects turned off it sounds similar to the Prophet 8.  Things got more interesting when playing with the shape mod, especially when using a LFO to modulate it.  Being able to mod each of the waveforms is definitely a high light. I got some crazy sounds using different LFOs on each oscillator’s shape mod.

The effects sound nice and the presets did a nice job of showing them off.  I did not check all of them out, but did like the BBD and Chorus.  I did not play with the sequencer or try splitting the keyboard. The OLED display looks really nice and is a huge improvement from the Tetra / 08' screens. 

I think the expanded mod matrix, shape mod and effects give it a different, but familiar feel to the Prophet 08.  I have a Tetra & 08', but I'd sure like a REV2 as well!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:20:54 PM by Yavn »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2017, 01:26:12 AM »
Someone told me today, that the REV2 will also come in an 8voice version for about 1.500,- ... anyone who can confirm this?
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2017, 02:21:12 AM »
Someone told me today, that the REV2 will also come in an 8voice version for about 1.500,- ... anyone who can confirm this?

That's correct as far as US prices go. Music Store (Cologne) currently lists both versions for € 2,369 and € 1,779.

DiScO

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2017, 03:58:39 AM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but Dave said in one of his Namm videos that the 8 voice version is upgradeable to 16 which is pretty cool if you come in at the cheaper end. Sounds ideal to me!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2017, 12:06:53 PM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but Dave said in one of his Namm videos that the 8 voice version is upgradeable to 16 which is pretty cool if you come in at the cheaper end. Sounds ideal to me!

Yes, a "field upgrade."

« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »
Every distortion I've tried, for instance, has been far too harsh and unsubtle for my Prophet.

You will typically have better results with overdrives and fuzzes than most modern distortions.  Try a good old Blues Driver.

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »
However, I don't think Eventide has a dedicated distortion beyond their H9 unit.
Actually, the H9... all have great distirtions.

I didn't know the H9 had distortion... which algorithms/presets?

« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »
The new(ish) H9 algorithms:

CrushStation - https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/algorithms/crushstation
and
Sculpt - https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/algorithms/sculpt

allow a pretty wide range of distortion types.

However, I don't think Eventide has a dedicated distortion beyond their H9 unit.

Shaw

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2017, 05:09:18 PM »
The new(ish) H9 algorithms:

CrushStation - https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/algorithms/crushstation
and
Sculpt - https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/algorithms/sculpt

allow a pretty wide range of distortion types.

And they just announced another that will be available in March .... PitchFuzz

Sculpt should be awesome with a synth.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2017, 04:51:57 PM »
Had they announced this marvelous new instrument just a couple of weeks earlier they could have named it the obvious Prophet '16. What a lost opportunity…
Anyway, I hope to some day replace my aging '08 with this, of course. The only things I'll miss will be the name and typeface.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »
Yeah, "Prophet 16" would have been the consistent, logical, and preferred name.  Its present name is a rather bland association with the Prophet '08, which we can appreciate.  But the total lack of the dignified word "Prophet" is a sore omission. 

« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »
I see a huge upcoming market for white "Prophet" stickers.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2017, 06:17:11 AM »
Of course, "Prophet 16" wouldn't have covered the eight-voice version.  How about "Prophet 8?"

It is true that probably everyone here would like to have the name "prophet" somewhere on their REV2.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2017, 06:26:52 AM »
The next big news from DSI will be whether or not they'll produce a REV2 module.  If they do, then this will allow for the creation of an immense synthesizer by combining keyboard with module(s).  But if they don't, then combining the REV2 with Prophet '08 modules is the obvious solution.  It's one more reason that it does make sense to hold onto P'08 units, rather than look upon them as obsolete and irrelevant, due to the new instrument.  And besides, who knows at this point if there might be some presently unknown reason for liking the P'08 over the REV2?  It's unlikely, but perhaps the purest will have such a preference.

By the way, why is this instrument called the REV2, rather than the REV1?  Did I miss an instrument?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:20:05 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2017, 06:34:39 AM »
And besides, who knows at this point if there might be some presently unknown reason for liking the P'08 over the REV2?  It's unlikely, but perhaps the purest will have such a preference.

Yes, it's possible... but let's hope not! On paper, the Rev certainly seems to be better on all fronts.
Like you, I intend to hang on to my '08 module for the foreseeable future to use with the Rev2.

« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2017, 08:09:09 AM »
And besides, who knows at this point if there might be some presently unknown reason for liking the P'08 over the REV2?  It's unlikely, but perhaps the purest will have such a preference.

Yes, it's possible... but let's hope not! On paper, the Rev certainly seems to be better on all fronts.
Like you, I intend to hang on to my '08 module for the foreseeable future to use with the Rev2.
Even if the Rev2 is a little better in all departments, it doesn't make my existing P'08 any less useful to me. I almost always have a couple of parts using the 08 in anything I record, so a second one sure won't hurt. I wonder if it will be possible to dump programs made on the Rev2 in P'08 format, much as you could dump Tetra programs in P'08 format?

dsetto

« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
If there's anything I've learned in my recent attention to the synthesizer market is, as in my music, as in any action, no repeated attempt for improvement is like the other. Hopefully my next attempt is enjoyable, hopefully it is found enjoyable by others. It seems that is the case with all synthesizers. A developer makes a deliberate attempt at the same, but more, but the new brings in good, but also leaves behind good. And sometimes, those nuances are hard to observe until later, or a lot later. Now that we live in an era of many eras overlapped simultaneously, and with the internet, we may be able to catch these things faster. That's a lot of words to say - surely, Rev 2's got some fundamental improvements in the realm of "more". I would say, surely, the Prophet '08 will possess certain characteristics unique, and special to it. This doesn't make it easier. Because we all have a limit to our time, capacity, money, space, & focus. And for us who have greater limits to these things, well, there, there's a loss of devotion, specialness. Lots of words. Sorry.

« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »
Hopeful rev 2 will get its own sub forum. Its. A shame this excellent thread is burned down in the off topic section...

My question: would getting a rev2 seeing that i have an ob6 already, be superfluous?

Shaw

« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »
My question: would getting a rev2 seeing that i have an ob6 already, be superfluous?
Get on YouTube and compare OB-6 demos to P'08 demos... that should answer your question.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |