REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2017, 06:58:45 AM »
If you Google "Prophet REV2" See what you get.... So how about Prophet 8\2. (8^2) :-) What will the first patch name be ?"it's not a Prophet" or "It's a REV2" ?

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2017, 07:02:26 AM »
A QUESTION FOR DSI:

What keybed does the REV2 have? ... is it the same brand (FATAR) as on the Prophet 6 ?

The keys look slightly thinner and sharper-edged than my P6 and OB6. I think FATAR is only in the VCOs.

DSI: I'm curious too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRMyTPaz55w - at 1:40, you can see the side of the keybed / 1:48 top.

Looks like a FATAR keybed, though there doesn't seem to be a top-side slot for the key retention tab on the prototype (FATAR replacement keys shown below are used on the Prophet '08) :

Prophet '08 keybed :

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:08:02 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

eXode

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
According to this post the REV2 uses the same FATAR keys as the P6/OB6: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12390765-post229.html

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2017, 09:51:29 AM »
Regarding the name: I think that adding a date like '08 (or '17) dates an instrument. We don't think in terms of dates with other classic synthesizers, and the REV2 seems like as classic a synth as we're ever going to have. So I don't think that '08 should be added. I would personally prefer to see "Prophet Rev2" on my next instrument... But given that there are other synthesizers with the name Prophet, I would not expect to see that.

Of all the features, I am most interested in the possibilities of the new waveshape modulation. For those of us trying to capture that elusive, classic oscillator drift, being able to vary the "pulse width" of a saw wave sounds very interesting.

The 16 voices combined with the A and B jacks will allow many more people to discover the enchantment of creating a true stereo field. For those who don't use splits and layers, this benefit can soon be had in one instrument without a real sacrifice of polyphony. For myself, I use splits and layers too much, so I will continue to use a supplemental module... hopefully, eventually... a REV2 module.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:54:46 AM by Jason »

LoboLives

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2017, 10:03:10 AM »
I just wish you could have more than one split. Especially with this much power why not have like 4 different zones with different patches? That would be something really unique in today's market.

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »
Anymore news or info on the Sub Octave pot?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:46:13 AM by vinnyburns »

eXode

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
Anymore news or info on the Sub Octave pot?

I'd guess a square since you can create a sub square from a DCO very easy by using a flip flop.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
I just wish you could have more than one split.

Well yes. I hate to be negative with such a wonderful instrument. But if we could use the 16 voices with four different programs instead of two, then I think I could be quite happy with a single Rev2, with no need for a secondary module.

But having said that, there are so many other things to be thankful for with the Rev2. I'm very happy to see more memory banks and what sounds like better presets. I love that there's a sub, which I enjoy on my Tetra. (That can really add a lot to the warmth and thickness to a sound.) I'm encouraged by the suggestion that there's a new keybed and hope that it is indeed superior to the old one. Additionally, one of my biggest concerns with a replacement for the '08 was the idea of having to start all over again with programming. The countless hours that we have into programming the '08 are now going to continue to pay off with the Rev2, and that makes me very happy indeed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:59:03 AM by Jason »

LoboLives

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »

Well yes. I hate to be negative with such a wonderful instrument. But if we could use the 16 voices with four different programs instead of two, then I think I could be quite happy with a single Rev2, with no need for a secondary module.

But having said that, there are so many other things to be thankful for with the Rev2. I'm very happy to see more memory banks and what sounds like better presets. I love that there's a sub, which I enjoy on my Tetra. (That can really add a lot to the warmth and thickness of a sound.) I'm encouraged at the suggestion that there's a new keybed and hope that it is indeed superior to the old one. Additionally, one of my biggest concerns with a replacement for the '08 was the idea of having to start all over again with programming. The countless hours that we have into programming the '08 are now going to continue to pay off with the Rev2, and that makes me very happy indeed.

Yeah, there's a lot of great things about the synth. I'm not sold on it personally. It looks great on paper with an insanely economical price but I need to give it some time. I think my biggest issue is, if they were going to offer two versions...why not differentiate them more. I think 16 voices is overkill like I mentioned before...but I could justify it if you could do more with the higher priced synth instead of just having more voices. Make one for the bedroom musician and make one for the "professional".

Plus now that DSI has proven that can do a synth at this price point...there really shouldn't be an excuse to do a price increase with their next one which hopefully won't just be what is essentially Tweaking an established product as opposed to moving forward with a totally new one.

eXode

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »
I really don't like making suggestions for an unreleased instrument, but, I wonder if we could convince DSI to add a Juno 60 style HPF as a digital effect, that would be super useful imho. :)

« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »

But having said that, there are so many other things to be thankful for with the Rev2. I'm very happy to see more memory banks and what sounds like better presets. I love that there's a sub, which I enjoy on my Tetra. (That can really add a lot to the warmth and thickness of a sound.) I'm encouraged at the suggestion that there's a new keybed and hope that it is indeed superior to the old one. Additionally, one of my biggest concerns with a replacement for the '08 was the idea of having to start all over again with programming. The countless hours that we have into programming the '08 are now going to continue to pay off with the Rev2, and that makes me very happy indeed.

Yeah, there's a lot of great things about the synth. I'm not sold on it personally. It looks great on paper with an insanely economical price but I need to give it some time. I think my biggest issue is, if they were going to offer two versions...why not differentiate them more. I think 16 voices is overkill like I mentioned before...but I could justify it if you could do more with the higher priced synth instead of just having more voices. Make one for the bedroom musician and make one for the "professional".

Plus now that DSI has proven that can do a synth at this price point...there really shouldn't be an excuse to do a price increase with their next one which hopefully won't just be what is essentially Tweaking an established product as opposed to moving forward with a totally new one.

Out of curiosity, what reservations do you have? Just that's it's 16? There is a 8 voice version too. Trying to soak up as much as I can about DSI synths. My experience with DSI is limited to P6/OB6.

blewis

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2017, 02:06:29 PM »
Interesting suggestion. Especially since you can now modulate effects params. 

I really don't like making suggestions for an unreleased instrument, but, I wonder if we could convince DSI to add a Juno 60 style HPF as a digital effect, that would be super useful imho. :)

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »

That'd be a bass boost / cut, as with the Juno-* units, right?
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »
Regarding the name: I think that adding a date like '08 (or '17) dates an instrument.

It's funny.  I had forgotten that the P-08 was Prophet '08 as in 2008.  I had transposed it in my mind as Prophet 08 as in eight voice. 

REV 2 makes sense. Most people who will be interested in the instrument will know the heritage from the P-08.  The full name would have to be "Prophet 08 REV 2".  Can't be Prophet REV 2 because of the other Prophet instruments out. 

Another interesting tidbit.  Notice that the name "Sequential" doesn't appear on the instrument. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2017, 03:09:30 PM »
Regarding the name: I think that adding a date like '08 (or '17) dates an instrument.

It's funny.  I had forgotten that the P-08 was Prophet '08 as in 2008.  I had transposed it in my mind as Prophet 08 as in eight voice. 

REV 2 makes sense. Most people who will be interested in the instrument will know the heritage from the P-08.  The full name would have to be "Prophet 08 REV 2".  Can't be Prophet REV 2 because of the other Prophet instruments out. 

Another interesting tidbit.  Notice that the name "Sequential" doesn't appear on the instrument.

As far as I remember, it was released in 2007 and the 08 has nothing to doing with the year of release.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »

I believe it's both.  The "08 referred to both the year of its release and to its number of voices.  And yet, wasn't the instrument actually released in very late '07?

The only thing I don't like about the REV2 name (besides the font) is that it suggests it will be the one and only revision of a DSI synthesizer.  I wish it had been qualified as the Prophet Rev2. 

Seeing a revision of the Prophet '08 somewhat gives one the hope that the Poly Evolver could see a revision, too.  Unlikely, I realize, but it gives a little life to the dream.

I really like the font used on the Prophet '08.  It's classic and dignified.  I wish the REV2 used the same. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:22:37 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »

I believe it's both.  The "08 referred to both the year of its release and to its number of voices.  And yet, wasn't the instrument actually released in very late '07?

The only thing I don't like about the REV2 name (besides the font) is that it suggests it will be the one and only revision of a DSI synthesizer.  I wish it had been qualified as the Prophet Rev2. 

Seeing a revision of the Prophet '08 somewhat gives one the hope that the Poly Evolver could see a revision, too.  Unlikely, I realize, but it gives a little life to the dream.

I really like the font used on the Prophet '08.  It's classic and dignified.  I wish the REV2 used the same.

The Prophet '08 was officially announced on August 20, 2007: http://web.archive.org/web/20070905232403/http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/news/index.php

PS: True retro design: http://web.archive.org/web/20020222114949/http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/index.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:18:19 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »
Good catch, Paul.  As the article says, the Prophet '08's were being shipped at the time of that announcement, as of August, 2007.

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2017, 03:45:45 PM »
Also, the letter "E" in REV2 resembles the design of Aldo Novarese's Stop font, which has been used for the original Sequential logo. The other letters differ quite a bit though, and all in all the Stop font is stretched a bit more in height. See example below.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:49:08 PM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »
Notice that the name "Sequential" doesn't appear on the instrument.
Perhaps because "Sequential" didn't appear on the Prophet '08 either.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |