REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

LoboLives

Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
If I didn't already have a P-08, the Rev 2 would interest me a lot.  Unlike Sacred Synthesis, I don't think I will want both a P-08 and a Rev 2.   Of course, there's always the possibility of selling the P-08.  I do think DSI went the right direction.   The Rev 2 will be a lot more live performance user friendly with the on board effects.  Sixteen voices is really nice.  With the Rev 2, I'm not sure how someone would justify a P-6 except those die hard VCO fans.

As insane as it sounds I'd probably would get another Prophet 6 over the Rev2 as it stands now. I think if they were going to bring out two different models at two different price points they could have had one with DCOs and the other with VCOs. That said I do appreciate the ease of the layout. There's a few questions I have in regards to the sequencer but I'll wait until I see a full review first.

LoboLives

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 05:27:22 PM »
With the Rev 2, I'm not sure how someone would justify a P-6 except those die hard VCO fans.

That's easy: VCOs that allow for FM, different LP filter, added HP filter, even less menu diving, and more simplicity. And it's called "Prophet."  ;)

I don't see any Pulse Width on the Rev2 unless my eyes are going. I thought it would have been cool to decrease the polyphony of the Prophet 6 to 5 but have two separate Prophet VCO based modules under one 5 octave keyboard and much like the OBXa it has a split and layer function where both modules can be played simultaneously layered, split across the keyboard or have one play a sequence while you play overtop with the other module. In essence a polyphonic version of the Oberheim Two Voice Pro concept.

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 05:31:49 PM »
I don't see any Pulse Width on the Rev2 unless my eyes are going.

It's called SHAPE MOD, because it applies to all waveforms.

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 05:35:29 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, the Rev2 is the new Andromeda A6.

Yes - was thinking the same thing - but eminently serviceable, to boot.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »

However–unlike the Korg Minilogue, it can be selectively applied (in either direction), independently on a per-oscillator basis.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »

However–unlike the Korg Minilogue, it can be selectively applied (in either direction), independently on a per-oscillator basis.

Sorry for the wording, but by all waveforms I meant all kinds of waveforms as in saw, triangle, square.

Shaw

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »

I can't wait for the PDF manual to be released so I can compare it to the A6... I'm really excited about this release.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 06:58:11 PM »
He made it for you. If you don't buy one, he's giving up.

Did you say just "one"?   ;D

I'm telling you, I would have thought Dave had gotten into my personal synthesizer notebook.  I'm going to ask my wife if he was poking around my study one day while I was out.

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
New guy here. I've been lurking since Dec. 23, when I pulled the handle on a P'08 which arrived a week later. I love this synth! Thanks to all your excellent insights - and especially to our mod, Sacred Synthesis - I was (am) sure this is the "right synth" for me.

Yeah, I knew that it was soon to be discont'd - so I bought online from GC while I could (Sweetwater was already discont'd).
So, as of today...hmmmm...I'm really happy that the P08 lives on! But sad too, as I have a (used) Tetra from ebay due in soon (to make 12/6 polyphony), and now I'm in a quandary...

I doubt that GC would let me return it (the return policy states that discont'd items can't be returned), even though I'm within my 30 days(??). And if I did - it looks like April or so for new unit deliveries on the REV2.

Alternately, I can "stay the course" and realize:
- The "bugs and S/W revs" have already been wrung out on this platform - as SS stated in another thread, it's "proven" (10+ years)!!
- I have a solid keyboard. DSI makes quality stuff, but you never know what will happen during transit.
- There is freedom in limitations. It's supposed to be about "analog explorations." I have expensive VST's already.
- Do I REALLY need the wave-shaping, SubOSC, effects (I have some already), and 16-note polyphony? I ordered the Tetra because - really - 12 voices, and stacked 6 is fine. I usually only do root/5th, root/9th, root/7th or octave in the left hand anyway - and that still leaves room for a ton of voicing possibilities (4) in the right hand anyway...

*sigh*

I suppose if I was successful in returning the P08, there's still a ton of "unknowns" - and I don't like being an 'early adopter' even though DSI stuff is exquisitely made.

Hey, thanks guys, for all the info I've gleaned here for the past 3 weeks!! This is a helluva' post for my first one, but I just registered last night - and today's events kind of scrambled me a little...

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
This is just spectacular news.  I'm so pleased to see the return of the DCO.  As far as I'm concerned, the Rev2 is the new Andromeda A6.  I will definitely be heading in this direction.

No, I don't yet regret recently buying a second Prophet '08 Module.  My three-way system can still do more than a single REV2, such as offer eight-voice tri-timbrality, which was the whole point of creating the system.  The big question is, will DSI create a Rev2 Module?  I expect so, but the argument could be made that there's no need with sixteen voices.  Regardless, I can see, for starts, the Rev2 replacing either one Prophet '08 or one poly Evolver Keyboard in my set up.

I believe they will make a module because the REV2 allows for poly chaining from what I recall reading.

I almost bought a P-08 years ago but this is a nice improvement, when things are settled for me financially I may consider this.... but i'm also very partial to the OB-6 too (i've always wanted an Oberheim and love it's sound).
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2017, 07:52:15 PM »
I bought a Prophet 08 recently, and it's within the 30 day return policy.  I am HEAVILY considering it -- same price, more synth.  Anybody know how soon I could get the REV2 after returning my Prophet 08?

LoboLives

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2017, 07:58:04 PM »

I can't wait for the PDF manual to be released so I can compare it to the A6... I'm really excited about this release.

Correct me if I'm wrong I believe the Andromeda had more oscillators, plus a mix mode which allowed different zones with different patches and different sequences to be played across the keyboard. Where I think the Rev2 falls short is that you are regulated to two zones for split mode instead of being able to have like 4-5 different patches in different areas. I just feel they should have made the eight voice and sixteen voice have different features other than polyphony. Have the eight voice be where you can split the keyboard in half and the sixteen voice where you can have different zones.

Also, for me personally sixteen voices is way too much. It's almost too powerful and once you start to add slop and de tuning it can get a bit messy. CS-80, OBXa, Jupiter 8 all only had eight voices and listen to the power those things had. Sometimes less is more.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
Fellas, let's take a deep breath and remember that a REV2 is a super Prophet '08.  If you like the P'08, then you'll love the REV2, but if you'd love the REV2, then you also like your P'08.  I don't mean to sound cryptic, but don't torture yourselves over this new instrument.  It should be available in about two months.  Several months will pass, and then there will be a first software update.  If you're good at installing updates yourselves, then go ahead and buy a low serial number REV2.  If you're not, then just wait a few months until you can buy one with the first update already installed.  Either way, don't suddenly regret having or just buying a Prophet '08 or Tetra if it's the right instrument for you.  The REV2 will have that same exact sound, but with many more features.  Maybe you don't need those features?  Regardless, the appearance of the new instrument doesn't make the old one any worse.  I'll possibly hold on to one of my P'08's for some time, and I'll  enjoy making music with it tomorrow every bit as much as I did the other day before I learned about the REV2.

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 08:40:49 PM »
Fellas, let's take a deep breath and remember that a REV2 is a super Prophet '08.  If you like the P'08, then you'll love the REV2, but if you'd love the REV2, then you also like your P'08.  I don't mean to sound cryptic, but don't torture yourselves over this new instrument.  It should be available in about two months.  Several months will pass, and then there will be a first software update.  If you're good at installing updates yourselves, then go ahead and buy a low serial number REV2.  If you're not, then just wait a few months until you can buy one with the first update already installed.  Either way, don't suddenly regret having or just buying a Prophet '08 or Tetra if it's the right instrument for you.  The REV2 will have that same exact sound, but with many more features.  Maybe you don't need those features?  Regardless, the appearance of the new instrument doesn't make the old one any worse.  I'll possibly hold on to one of my P'08's for some time, and I'll  enjoy making music with it tomorrow every bit as much as I did the other day before I learned about the REV2.

true, though it's a real punch to the gut to learn i could've had more features for less price just because i chose a poor time to buy.  still love my new prophet 08 and i guess we'll see what happens in the next few days of NAMM.

i would like most of all to get a better look at the front panel, since it looks so foreign from the original design.  i might prefer the workflow of one over the other.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:44:02 PM by Benji »

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2017, 08:47:58 PM »
...it just feels like a step back as opposed to moving forward

Is the REV2 missing anything that exists on the Prophet 08?  From the videos I have seen so far, it looks like it only adds to the Prophet 08.

dsetto

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2017, 08:49:54 PM »
You have a head start on incorporating the prophet 08 into your workflow. And an opportunity to reassess it, a rev 2, or other contenders. Once you are antsy from that, you can make a move or not. And pat yourself on the back for plunging when it was good for you, rather than waiting indefinitely. ... I hear you. Just trying to spin the upsides. And the original is historical. Who knows what subtle differences will arise between it and rev 2. We all know about our musical revisions. We make new things. It doesn't mean each new thing is better in all ways from the older thing. Each is a new thing.

chysn

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
true, though it's a real punch to the gut to learn i could've had more features for less price just because i chose a poor time to buy.

It's possible that you chose a poor dealer from whom to buy. Prophet 08 prices have been in a nosedive for months, and a Prophet 08 should have been a huge savings over a REV2. I mean, if it's a matter of returning the Prophet 08 and getting a REV2 for the same price, that's a no-brainer. But your choice should be whether to return the Prophet 08 to pay $500 more for a REV2--a somewhat tougher call.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

dsetto

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »
The 16 voices and the split are the key elements steering me towards a P'08 rev 2 over the better tone of the recent 6 series. I am a piano player first. And I like programming possibilities. Sure, I'd like the hypothetical "combo" all-in-one, but the $2k price point and the fact it (almost) exists today have me strongly leaning towards yielding on better tone.

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
I'll possibly hold on to one of my P'08's for some time, and I'll  enjoy making music with it tomorrow every bit as much as I did the other day before I learned about the REV2.

Indeed.

I bought a P08 Keyboard just a few weeks ago after confirming that it had been discontinued.  I expected there was a very good chance that there would be a big brother announced at NAMM, which is great, but I wanted a P08, so I got one.

The REV2 looks awesome but I have zero regrets over acquiring the P08.  If I did, I could still return it.  I won't.

Besides... it doesn't have to be OR.  It can be AND.   ;)

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2017, 09:14:39 PM »
I'm a P6 and OB6 owner. I've never owned a DCO. I'm on my 3rd P6, which is being returned for a refund due to constant issues (first tuning problems, second a squelch at startup, the last a bad keybed). My sales rep explained that they've had some returns on the P6s lately (all serials are >4,000).

I was considering crossing fingers for a problem-free desktop P6 or hunt for a used (old serial) P6. But, with the Rev2...I don't know...

I've heard great pads and soundscapes (mostly from sacred synthesis), but what is the core sound like, from someone intimate with it and not rushing through a video demo?

My works have usually been an Ob6 (and Xa before) for my music group (Future Islands-ish), and a Prophet 5/6 for soundtrack work (a bit Carpenter-esque). Does the P08 cover at least most of that basic analog sound of the P6? I'm not asking about the Rev2 specifically, I get that's new. But I know it's basically an 08.

Not sure I want to trust another (new) P6, or leave ship to another guy's camp for my basic analog tone needs. I'm also a guitarist, with 80% of studio full of tube amps and various fenders/gibsons/basses/world instruments; so while I'd like a wall an entire DSI display, I can only feasibly host two to cover my synth needs. Note: not a fan of Moog or Junos.

Hoping for some Sacred Synthesis chime-in! =D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:20:10 PM by TacticalHamster »