REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

Sacred Synthesis

Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
This is just spectacular news.  I'm so pleased to see the return of the DCO.  As far as I'm concerned, the Rev2 is the new Andromeda A6.  I will definitely be heading in this direction.

No, I don't yet regret recently buying a second Prophet '08 Module.  My three-way system can still do more than a single REV2, such as offer eight-voice tri-timbrality, which was the whole point of creating the system.  The big question is, will DSI create a Rev2 Module?  I expect so, but the argument could be made that there's no need with sixteen voices.  Regardless, I can see, for starts, the Rev2 replacing either one Prophet '08 or one Poly Evolver Keyboard in my set up.

eXode

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 12:14:18 PM »
It seems to me that the slop range has been extended on the REV2. Check the video from about 2 min:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0-KRniNh-A

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »
It seems to me that the slop range has been extended on the REV2. Check the video from about 2 min:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0-KRniNh-A

That was to be expected. I assume that the new slop parameter was updated to the standard of pretty much every instrument from the Prophet 12 on.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 12:27:51 PM »
The big question is, will DSI create a Rev2 Module?  I expect so, but the argument could be made that there's no need with sixteen voices.  Regardless, I can see, for starts, the Rev2 replacing either one Prophet '08 or one poly Evolver Keyboard in my set up.

I assume there's going to be one. Maybe in fall. The Rev2 does include a poly-chain port, which could be regarded as an indicator. It would be interesting to know whether it could be poly-chained to all the Rev1 incarnations (Prophet '08, Tetra, Mopho, etc.). But if all the sounds from the Rev1 engines can be imported into the Rev2 that might be possible, since there must be backwards compatibility with regard to parameter recognition.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:32:01 PM by Paul Dither »

eXode

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
It would be interesting to know whether it could be poly-chained to all the Rev1 incarnations (Prophet '08, Tetra, Mopho, etc.). But if all the sounds from the Rev1 engines can be imported into the Rev2 that might be possible, since there must be backwards compatibility with regard to parameter recognition.

I doubt it since they are different with regards to added shape mod on all waveforms, sub octave and possibly extended slop on the REV2.

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »
It would be interesting to know whether it could be poly-chained to all the Rev1 incarnations (Prophet '08, Tetra, Mopho, etc.). But if all the sounds from the Rev1 engines can be imported into the Rev2 that might be possible, since there must be backwards compatibility with regard to parameter recognition.

I doubt it since they are different with regards to added shape mod on all waveforms, sub octave and possibly extended slop on the REV2.

What do you doubt? The poly-chain compatibility or the patch compatibility? The latter has been confirmed already. You can play all the old Prophet '08 sounds on the REV2.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 01:08:34 PM »

eXode

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 01:18:27 PM »

What do you doubt? The poly-chain compatibility or the patch compatibility? The latter has been confirmed already. You can play all the old Prophet '08 sounds on the REV2.

I know they are patch compatible. I doubt you could polychain a REV2 -> Prophet 08 in that order. As far as I know on the older gear you had to use the Prophet 08 as the "base" and you could use i.e. a Tetra to expand it and not the other way around (if you consider their architectural differences).

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »

I know they are patch compatible. I doubt you could polychain a REV2 -> Prophet 08 in that order. As far as I know on the older gear you had to use the Prophet 08 as the "base" and you could use i.e. a Tetra to expand it and not the other way around (if you consider their architectural differences).

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »
If they do a 16 voice module with MPE support I would buy it on the spot.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 02:12:18 PM »
It seems to me that a combination of a REV2 Keyboard and one or more Prophet '08 Modules would work together just fine.  I'm not sure to what degree the former will be able to control all the parameters of the latter, but otherwise MIDI-ed together they should make a fabulous combination

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
And interestingly, there will be eight and sixteen-voice versions of the REV2.

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »
If I didn't already have a P-08, the Rev 2 would interest me a lot.  Unlike Sacred Synthesis, I don't think I will want both a P-08 and a Rev 2.   Of course, there's always the possibility of selling the P-08.  I do think DSI went the right direction.   The Rev 2 will be a lot more live performance user friendly with the on board effects.  Sixteen voices is really nice.  With the Rev 2, I'm not sure how someone would justify a P-6 except those die hard VCO fans.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
I think I will gradually merge from the old to the new.  I won't go crazy and sell all my Prophet '08 equipment.  No, it takes years to build up such a set up.  But gradual replacement makes sense. 

Dave described the REV2 as an "update" of the Prophet '08.  I never thought I'd see the day.  This is an unusual step for him, since it isn't even a revision in the old Prophet 5 sense of the term.  It really is a Prophet '08 MK II.  I'm so glad he's chosen to keep this masterpiece around.  Wooohooo!

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »
With the Rev 2, I'm not sure how someone would justify a P-6 except those die hard VCO fans.

That's easy: VCOs that allow for FM, different LP filter, added HP filter, even less menu diving, and more simplicity. And it's called "Prophet."  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:02:28 PM by Paul Dither »

chysn

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 03:04:19 PM »
Dave described the REV2 as an "update" of the Prophet '08.  I never thought I'd see the day.  This is an unusual step for him, since it isn't even a revision in the old Prophet 5 sense of the term.  It really is a Prophet '08 MK II.  I'm so glad he's chosen to keep this masterpiece around.  Wooohooo!

He made it for you. If you don't buy one, he's giving up.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 03:05:48 PM »

He made it for him because he was expecting Sacred Synthesis to buy at least four of them.

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »
If they do a 16 voice module with MPE support I would buy it on the spot.

Same here. I bought a Prophet 08 module at the same time I bought my Linnstrument, before really knowing much about MPE. I assumed since it had 8 voices and that the voices could be stacked/split, I thought I could assign one or two voices per channel and play them multitimbrally in ch-per-note mode with my Linnstrument. I was incredibly sad when I finally got a clue. I "downgraded" to a Tetra (1 voice per channel tetra-timbrality). I would love a module of a Rev2 if it has fully realized MPE functionality.

Shaw

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 04:14:24 PM »
This is just spectacular news.  I'm so pleased to see the return of the DCO.  As far as I'm concerned, the Rev2 is the new Andromeda A6.  I will definitely be heading in this direction.

No, I don't yet regret recently buying a second Prophet '08 Module.  My three-way system can still do more than a single REV2, such as offer eight-voice tri-timbrality, which was the whole point of creating the system.  The big question is, will DSI create a Rev2 Module?  I expect so, but the argument could be made that there's no need with sixteen voices.  Regardless, I can see, for starts, the Rev2 replacing either one Prophet '08 or one poly Evolver Keyboard in my set up.
SS, I knew you would be ecstatic over this.  I'd really like to see a Rev2 / Andromeda comparison.  That was my first thought as well.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 04:25:49 PM »

They could have called it "RevSS", or "Sacred Rev"
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |