REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)

eXode

REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« on: January 19, 2017, 01:41:44 AM »
Oooh, what's this?

eXode

Re: REV2 (16-Voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:46:40 AM »
Different angle:

Both images were taken from gearslutz.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:06:04 AM »
There are a lot of knobs on that right side, interesting.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 02:07:28 AM »
I know a couple of people who will get really excited about what looks like a Prophet '08 REV2. That would also explain the not yet official announcement about the discontinuation of the Prophet '08.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:10:36 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 04:19:59 AM »
Different angle:

Oooh, that looks very good :-) Nice one.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 05:29:24 AM »
Different angle:

Yeah 5 octaves!!!

I'm very curious now.

Oooh, that looks very good :-) Nice one.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:59:54 AM »
I'll wait until I see the specs and hear the demo of it. I'm on the fence about a Prophet 08 REV 2 to be honest. While I appreciate them updating stuff or improving on ideas...it just feels like a step back as opposed to moving forward, especially if there's very little difference (same gated sequencer DCOs etc). We shall see.

chysn

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:16:11 AM »
I'll wait until I see the specs and hear the demo of it. I'm on the fence about a Prophet 08 REV 2 to be honest. While I appreciate them updating stuff or improving on ideas...it just feels like a step back as opposed to moving forward, especially if there's very little difference (same gated sequencer DCOs etc). We shall see.

Yeah, it's too early to be down on it. It'll probably be priced at around the Prophet 08 level, since it has the older-style metal chassis instead of the woodwork of the recent flagships. It looks like it's got a proper power supply now (judging by the empty table in the Sonic State video). I'm sure the engine has been updated, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still had DCOs, although I don't think there's much of a place for VCO/DCO debate in 2017.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:55:15 AM »
Different angle:

Am I dreaming?   One, two, three, four, five octaves!  Wooohooo!  Undeniably Prophet '08-esque and it appears to have the same chasis.  Has Dave broken with his own tradition and done a Mk II, or is this a Rev 2?  It appears as if "REV2" is the actual name.  But I see a bit more on the control panel.  Whichever, she's lovely. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:19:23 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 07:49:04 AM »

Yeah, it's too early to be down on it. It'll probably be priced at around the Prophet 08 level, since it has the older-style metal chassis instead of the woodwork of the recent flagships. It looks like it's got a proper power supply now (judging by the empty table in the Sonic State video). I'm sure the engine has been updated, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still had DCOs, although I don't think there's much of a place for VCO/DCO debate in 2017.

Welp, we shall see. I'm pretty disappointed so far.

dslsynth

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 09:11:53 AM »
DSI REV2 is a 16 voice Prophet '08 update:
https://youtu.be/FRMyTPaz55w

I think I know someone who will really love it! ;-)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
Bull's-eye!

It seems DCO's are back.

Funny, my Poly Evolver Keyboard was up early this morning vacuuming the house.  An hour ago she brought me a cup of coffee, and now she's ironing my shirts.  I don't know what's gotten into her, but she sure seems uneasy.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:24:00 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »
Bull's-eye!

It seems DCO's are back.

Funny, my Poly Evolver Keyboard was up early this morning vacuuming the house.  An hour ago she brought me a cup of coffee, and now she's ironing my shirts.  I don't know what's gotten into her, but she sure seems uneasy.

You better send back the recently purchased Prophet '08 module for a refund…

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
Full-sized image:

chysn

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 10:06:44 AM »
Tip, for folks like me who'd have to remove their glasses to read that: Drag the image to a new browser tab and you can see it full-size.

Some nice updates here, with the wave shaper and sub-oscillator.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 10:25:48 AM »
$1,999.00

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »
The whole interface really benefits from the Prophet-6/OB-6 design, i.e. everything is much easier to access via dedicated controls. I would even assume that the mod section works the way it does on the Prophet 12 and Pro 2, i.e. by holding down the source or destination button and just moving whatever parameter you'd like to choose. Additional buttons like HOLD and GLIDE are welcome too, as is the redesigned LFO section. The additional sub oscillator, I assume a more obvious slop like on the latest instruments, shape mod, USB, effects per layer or split, an a way easier to operate sequencer should make this quite competitive. Above all, I assume that it'll also allow for a much faster workflow.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 11:01:40 AM »
Demos: https://soundcloud.com/davesmithinstruments/sets/rev2-sound-demos

And the press release as posted on Matrixsynth:

Prophet ’08 Successor Boasts Expanded Polyphony, Digital Effects, Waveshaping Capabilities

Anaheim, CA—January 19, 2017—Dave Smith today announced the REV2, a new 16-voice analog synthesizer designed to be a successor to their popular Prophet ’08 poly synth. Like its predecessor, the REV2 features two DCOs per voice, and Curtis filters at the heart of its sound engine, but boasts a number of significant enhancements designed to make it more powerful.
As Dave Smith puts it, “The Prophet ’08 has been a real road warrior for 10 years now and people still love it. But we felt it was time to update it with new technology and new features and, at the same time, lower its cost.” Smith continued: “The REV2 is essentially the result of our effort to enhance and improve everything we could about the original Prophet ’08 and, in many cases, double its power.”

The most obvious difference between the REV2 and its predecessor is polyphony. The REV2 has 16-voices as its standard configuration — twice the polyphony of the Prophet ’08 (though an 8-voice option is also available). Since the synth features bi-timbral operation, two completely independent sounds can be stacked or split — layered together or assigned to two different zones on the keyboard.

The essence of its sound comes from two DCOs (plus a sub-octave generator on oscillator 1) per voice, with 4 waveshapes (sawtooth, triangle, sawtooth + triangle, and pulse) and a 2/4 pole low-pass, resonant Curtis filter per voice. These are the same filters used not only in the Prophet ’08, but also in many classic instruments of the ’70s and ’80s. A new feature unique to the REV2 is waveshape modulation. You can vary the “pulse width” of any of the four waveforms by manually dialing in a desired waveshape width or by using an LFO or other modulation source for continuously shifting timbre.

An effects section provides reverb, delays (standard and BBD), chorus, phase shifter, ring modulation, and distortion. In stacked or split voice mode, you can apply a different effect to each layer. Effects parameters can be modulated through the mod matrix, which is twice as extensive as its predecessor, with 8 individual slots and many more sources/destinations.

A new polyphonic step sequencer allows up to 64 steps and up to 6 notes per step. A different sequence can be created for each layer when working in stacked or split voice mode. A separate gated sequencer functions as a modulation source, allowing you to create up to 4 different 16-step sequences for complex modulation. Sequences allow ties and rests, and can sync to an external MIDI clock. The arpeggiator features note repeats, re-latching, and can be synced to external MIDI clock, as well. Other improvements include a premium-quality, five-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, an integrated power supply, USB support, and a crisp OLED display.

'We’ve created a monster,' joked Smith, 'and I mean that in the best possible way.'

The REV2 has a projected ship date of April 2017 with a MAP of $1499 for the 8-voice version and $1999 for the 16-voice version.

LoboLives

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
I don't know how I feel about it to be honest. It looks okay. In regards to the sequencer...can it be latched with the hold button? Can the sequences be transposed on the fly (ala Moog Sub 37)?

But only two split zones? Really? I guess it's good for a cheaper option for DSI to compete with the DeepMind12 I guess I was just expecting more.

I guess I was expecting something along the lines of the Andromeda but I guess that would be at least $5k to do these days.

I'll have to give it a listen a bit closer but for me as it stands, it's just okay. I do appreciate the fact the layout is easy to use though.

I think it would have been better, since they are going to allow an 8 voice OR 16 voice option to perhaps have DCOs for the lower price model and VCOs for the higher price model. I guess I'm nit picking.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
This is just spectacular news.  I'm so pleased to see the return of the DCO.  As far as I'm concerned, the Rev2 is the new Andromeda A6.  I will definitely be heading in this direction.

No, I don't yet regret recently buying a second Prophet '08 Module.  My three-way system can still do more than a single REV2, such as offer eight-voice tri-timbrality, which was the whole point of creating the system.  The big question is, will DSI create a Rev2 Module?  I expect so, but the argument could be made that there's no need with sixteen voices.  Regardless, I can see, for starts, the Rev2 replacing either one Prophet '08 or one poly Evolver Keyboard in my set up.