Pioneer Toraiz AS-1

LoboLives

Re: Pioneer Toraiz AS-1
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »
They'll probably bring out the desktop module and be like "See! A new synth!" Lol

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
Haha no. We'd never consider a desktop module of an existing instrument a brand new synth, although as I've mentioned elsewhere on our forum any product we release whether big or small still takes significant time and resources to develop.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

dslsynth

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »
At least it was a smaller module this time around. Thanks!

Questions: How was the software development split between DSI and Pioneer? Voice OS by DSI? How about OS for the UI? Did DSI make the front panel and user interface design alone? How much contributed Pioneer to UI?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »
At least it was a smaller module this time around. Thanks!

Questions: How was the software development split between DSI and Pioneer? Voice OS by DSI? How about OS for the UI? Did DSI make the front panel and user interface design alone? How much contributed Pioneer to UI?

I can't speak for DSI, but I'd guess that the AS-1 display and the REV2 display libraries are similar (as the Prophet-6 does not have a graphical display).

Can you think of any reason as to why Pioneer would need to add anything to the AS-1? I'd surmise that it was probably a canned unit in terms of voice architecture, effects and underlying code, with a few design constraints* thrown in to hit its ambitious price point.

* - or features removed that would have not been relevant for the target market, e.g., effects types
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:21 AM »
Is it just me or is there no "Noise" knob on there? Assuming it has this feature it accessed via some menu diving?

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2017, 03:49:37 AM »
Is it just me or is there no "Noise" knob on there? Assuming it has this feature it accessed via some menu diving?

The Noise Level parameter is part of the mixer section/page. You'll find all the specs over here: https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product/production/toraiz-as-1/black/specifications/

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2017, 08:00:14 PM »
Does anyone know if there will be a PC Editor and if so, who is doing the code? Thanks.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
So I found out that Soundtower will be doing the editor for the AS-1 in case anyone is interested. Pass.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »
Since the synth is basically a 1-voice Prophet 6, I bet ALL of the code was done by DSI... they have the code for it, they have the knowledge of it, it would only be more complicated, if some of the Pioneer people would be involved in it (I bet DSI remember the problems working with others on the Tempest regarding user samples)... If I am right, Pioneer probably designed the housing, since this is way different than what DSI normally does, but all the rest I'm fairly certain is done by DSI.... For some reason, there must be some benefit on the sales and manufacturing by Pioneer because I really see this synth as a DSI synth, in Pioneer's clothing... nothing else.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:19:53 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 07:42:19 AM »
Since the synth is basically a 1-voice Prophet 6, I bet ALL of the code was done by DSI... they have the code for it, they have the knowledge of it, it would only be more complicated, if some of the Pioneer people would be involved in it (I bet DSI remember the problems working with others on the Tempest regarding user samples)... If I am right, Pioneer probably designed the housing, since this is way different than what DSI normally does, but all the rest I'm fairly certain is done by DSI.... For some reason, there must be some benefit on the sales and manufacturing by Pioneer because I really see this synth as a DSI synth, in Pioneer's clothing... nothing else.

...which would explain a quick SoundTower port (change a few SysEx headers, remove Unison setting, adapt FX options).

It also means that DSI now has a bit of experience with Pioneer Pro DJ Link: http://faq.pioneerdj.com/files/img/DRI1124C.pdf

And, as an aside, check out this remark from Roger Linn:
During Tempest development, here's a much more elaborate design we considered. I'm still working on a drum machine but it won't be like this. It will have a combination of the real-time live performance workflow of Tempest plus samples and the expressive 3D touch sensing of LinnStrument.

That might be an interesting 1 + 1 = 5 iff Pioneer DJ were to become involved.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:46:58 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2017, 10:57:20 AM »

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »
Toraiz SP-16 & AS-1 @Dancefair 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dBPjR2Kok

LoboLives

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2017, 11:01:06 PM »
"We’ve essentially concluded that the AS1 is the modern day Pro One."

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/01/26/pioneer-dave-smith-instruments-toraiz-as-1-synthesizer-audio-demo/

Just please make a keyboard version.

It would be nice to combine 4 engines into a keyboard version and have a Pro 4. A VCO based, 4 engine synth where you can run four sequences simultaneously with different patches, run two sequences and play the other two patches live, chain sequences...almost like a Two Voice Pro...but with 4 voices and with the Prophet 6 sound. Hell...stack all four engines for one massive mono synth tone.

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 05:37:36 PM »
Now shipping! I hope to have mine by week's end.

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2017, 12:42:16 PM »
Arrived today - and really quite good!

I still firmly believe that THIS is the modern equivalent of the Pro-One, relative to the Prophet-6. The unit is built very solidly (on Pioneer DJ's behalf, in Malaysia) and sounds the part.

The lack of built-in reverb effects is actually a plus, as it shows off its naked strengths without any sonic sugar-coating.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:43:51 PM by DavidDever »

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2017, 10:10:04 AM »
The one thing that's make or break for me....can the sequences be transposed on the fly without having to hold down the record button?

This is what I am wondering, if you can "play" the sequencer on the fly. That, and if I can use it like a regular mono synth with an external MIDI keyboard. Both seem like obvious yes's but not seeing much online yet.

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »

I still firmly believe that THIS is the modern equivalent of the Pro-One, relative to the Prophet-6. The unit is built very solidly (on Pioneer DJ's behalf, in Malaysia) and sounds the part.

The lack of built-in reverb effects is actually a plus, as it shows off its naked strengths without any sonic sugar-coating.

Congrats! Looks like a fun synth. I had an original Evolver back in the day that I ended up selling out of financial desperation and this is looking to be it's replacement. I didn't like the rotary encoders nor the clunky menu system though with all the shifting and whatnot. This seems to have just what I need no more no less. I did want to ask, it doesn't have reverb but it does have delay, correct?

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »

Congrats! Looks like a fun synth. I had an original Evolver back in the day that I ended up selling out of financial desperation and this is looking to be it's replacement. I didn't like the rotary encoders nor the clunky menu system though with all the shifting and whatnot. This seems to have just what I need no more no less. I did want to ask, it doesn't have reverb but it does have delay, correct?

Yes - bucket brigade delay (BBD) emulation.

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2017, 05:00:02 PM »
The one thing that's make or break for me....can the sequences be transposed on the fly without having to hold down the record button?

This is what I am wondering, if you can "play" the sequencer on the fly. That, and if I can use it like a regular mono synth with an external MIDI keyboard. Both seem like obvious yes's but not seeing much online yet.

Yes - I'm using a Mopho SE with it presently.

Herr Schmitz

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
The packaging loooks quite nice, better then the DSI packages. But probably more costly.