Pioneer Toraiz AS-1

Re: Pioneer Toraiz AS-1
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
Okay, I moved this thread back to "Off Topic". The reasoning behind moving it over to "Other Hardware/Software" was that I thought it might be associated more with Pioneer and because the Toraiz products are not listed on DSI's product site.

I'll ask DSI to create a subforum for Toraiz-related products after the NAMM weekend is over. I can't create a new subforum from scratch myself because I don't have general admin rights over the forum as a whole.

Hope this will do for the coming days.

chysn

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 02:34:37 PM »
I would think that folks with questions about the AS-1 would be welcome here to ask questions about it, and those questions would be answered, if possible, even though it's not nominally a DSI product.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 05:48:27 AM »
Since it's a two VCO voice can each VCO be tuned differently?

I also wish there was an ability to chain sequences. I wonder if there's a hands off work around for that.

chysn

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 06:07:58 AM »

Yes, oscillators 1 and 2 each have a "base frequency" control with a 9-octave range, adjustable in semitones. Oscillator 2 has a fine-tune control.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 06:21:13 AM »

Yes, oscillators 1 and 2 each have a "base frequency" control with a 9-octave range, adjustable in semitones. Oscillator 2 has a fine-tune control.

Awesome. I don't see them on the panel. I'm assuming you have to hold Shift and menu dive a bit.

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 10:55:54 PM »
Sounds pretty good :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 06:20:10 AM »
I would love to hear a Pro 2 controlling a Toraiz AS-1.  This would make for a huge range of mono synth sounds together with programmability.  The two instruments seem like a natural pair.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 07:17:43 AM »
I would love to hear a Pro 2 controlling a Toraiz AS-1.  This would make for a huge range of mono synth sounds together with programmability.  The two instruments seem like a natural pair.

...already in my purchasing plan for the year, to combine with Pro-2 and SEM. I've been very impressed with the demos so far.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 07:23:07 AM »

...already in my purchasing plan for the year, to combine with Pro-2 and SEM. I've been very impressed with the demos so far.

Yikes, that would make one mammoth mono synth!  One center, one left, and one right?  That's how I configure my Prophet '08 system at the mixer.

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »

Yikes, that would make one mammoth mono synth!  One center, one left, and one right?  That's how I configure my Prophet '08 system at the mixer.

The Pro-2 + SEM is interesting (each panned to 10:00 / 2:00), once you dial in the Pro-2 to match the quirks of the SEM's filter tracking / envelopes, etc. The Toraiz AS-1 would be the other prong, so to speak, using the SSM-style filter on each.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »
Welcome to the new TORAIZ subforum!

LoboLives

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 03:09:27 AM »
This sounds like a great sequencer. Shame you can't chain the sequences. It would go well along side my Prophet 6. Set a sequence on the Toraiz AS-1 and play a lead or pads on the Prophet 6.

dslsynth

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »
Wonder if DSI did the voice OS for the AS-1 and if the sysex messages will be documented including the program vector format.

DSI mentioned something about making two keyboards this year. Perhaps a new Pro One based on one voice of Prophet-6 would be released in the summer? Personally I would prefer it to be a Prophet-2 with external input and support for panning the voices in stereo. More modulation features would be cool too!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:31:05 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »
DSI mentioned something about making two keyboards this year. Perhaps a new Pro One based on one voice of Prophet-6 would be released in the summer?

I was wondering about that.  Did DSI specifically say two keyboards?  I remember their mentioning only two instruments.  I thought the two announced at NAMM were all there would be this year.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:00:54 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »
DSI mentioned something about making two keyboards this year. Perhaps a new Pro One based on one voice of Prophet-6 would be released in the summer?

Where did you read about 2 keyboards? In their New Years message they only mentioned the following: "In fact, at this very moment we’re hard at work on some interesting new things for 2017 and beyond. In mid-January you’ll get to see the first of these."

That only indicates more than the REV2 for this year, but not any specifications about the format of further planned instruments.

dslsynth

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »
I cant remember where I saw it. Possibly in their new years posting which seems to have been removed now. Or in a Dave interview. And of cause I could be remembering it wrong.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
I was wondering if the two announced at NAMM were all there would be this year, or if one instrument still remained to be announced.  A Sequential mono synth would be very exciting - almost as exciting as the REV2!

Given the way they described it in the note I quoted above, the REV2 has to be the first and only instrument they talked about announcing in mid-January. The AS-1 doesn't count because it's manufactured by Pioneer. As Dave mentioned in some NAMM videos, the AS-1 is considered to be one half of a DSI instrument. Hence, I don't think it was included in the New Years message. Either way, that leaves us with "new things for 2017 and beyond" minus the REV2 and the AS-1.

dslsynth

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »
Translation for outsiders: good old patience as we know it! ;)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
I cant remember where I saw it. Possibly in their new years posting which seems to have been removed now. Or in a Dave interview. And of cause I could be remembering it wrong.

Yeah, I pasted the according sentence from the New Years message into my post above. There were two more interviews from before the NAMM show in which Dave said that there will be more synths in the future (without mentioning any specific time frame). That's about it.