Pioneer Toraiz AS-1

eXode

Pioneer Toraiz AS-1
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:34:53 AM »
Interesting, a spiritual successor to the Mopho by Pioneer and DSI? Pioneer Toraiz AS-1:

http://djtechtools.com/2017/01/19/toraiz-1-pioneer-dj-launching-synth-namm-2017/

Re: Pioneer Toraiz AS-1
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:38:07 AM »
And people complain about mini keys, lets see what they say about this one!

eXode

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:00:24 AM »
And people complain about mini keys, lets see what they say about this one!

I'm guessing that this is more about tapping down sequences on the go than actual playing. It is marketed as a DJ Product after all.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 01:04:59 AM »
Interresting. Are they phasing out the cheaper DSI in favor of doing the low cost devices with Pioneer now and focusing the DSI brand on the higher end of the market?

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 02:11:34 AM »
Interesting, a spiritual successor to the Mopho by Pioneer and DSI? Pioneer Toraiz AS-1:

http://djtechtools.com/2017/01/19/toraiz-1-pioneer-dj-launching-synth-namm-2017/

It's basically the Pro-One everybody was asking for after the release of the Prophet-6.

chysn

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 05:56:04 AM »

Partnering with Pioneer is a pretty brilliant solution to the problem of staying price-competitive with small instruments. It looks attractive, has quarter-inch outputs rather than RCA. It doesn't look like there are any particular compromises that came out of being aimed at DJs. Lack of an audio in is unfortunate, but the Prophet 6 doesn't have it either.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »
It's basically the Pro-One everybody was asking for after the release of the Prophet-6.

I can't decide whether to rejoice that they saw the need, or despair that it's in a desktop format. The Mopho Keyboard followed the Mopho Desktop, of course, so who knows.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:32:26 AM »

I can't decide whether to rejoice that they saw the need, or despair that it's in a desktop format. The Mopho Keyboard followed the Mopho Desktop, of course, so who knows.

I think you already answered your own question by stating this:

Partnering with Pioneer is a pretty brilliant solution to the problem of staying price-competitive with small instruments.

So I would assume, this is it. Plus: the AS-1 already has a keyboard, sort of.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:40:16 AM by Paul Dither »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 07:09:26 AM »
Don't know if this has been postet here yet:

https://youtu.be/JUDZoDJHzdA
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 07:25:45 AM »
https://youtu.be/JUDZoDJHzdA

Nice. It's funny how interested I am in what is in the background of this video, with essentially no interest in what Dave is actually talking about.

chysn

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »

I think you already answered your own question by stating this:

Partnering with Pioneer is a pretty brilliant solution to the problem of staying price-competitive with small instruments.

Well, there's a big difference between recognizing a nice solution to a manufacturing problem and wanting to buy a thing. I don't think that the partnership means "all DSI monosynths will be made by Pioneer," and I think there's a place for a high-end monophonic synth with the P6 architecture, with the wood case and everything.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:19:45 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »
The one thing that's make or break for me....can the sequences be transposed on the fly without having to hold down the record button?

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 05:45:13 PM »
The one thing that's make or break for me....can the sequences be transposed on the fly without having to hold down the record button?
It looks that way.

This should totally flatten out the vintage monosynth + sequencer market (Roland MC-202, et al)–after all, with two VCOs, a sub-oscillator, cross-mod and an SSM filter or two, with built-in effects, how could one complain? I'd chuck a three-octave MIDI controller on it and call it a day.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »
It looks that way.

This should totally flatten out the vintage monosynth + sequencer market (Roland MC-202, et al)–after all, with two VCOs, a sub-oscillator, cross-mod and an SSM filter or two, with built-in effects, how could one complain? I'd chuck a three-octave MIDI controller on it and call it a day.

I agree.... also for me I preferred the sound of the OB-6 over the P-6 (but that assessment is just from YouTube videos) yet the AS-1 sounds very nice to me from the demo.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
It looks that way.

That was my main gripe with the Prophet 6. You couldn't transpose the sequence without having to hold the Record button. I'm not sure why while the Sequencer is on you could engage the Hold button which would allow you to do this. I really hope that's part of a new OS.

sofine

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 01:56:13 AM »

In one of the YT NAMM demo videos the presenter transposes the held arp, so there's that at least! Maybe you can do this with the sequence too.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 03:30:41 AM »
The P6 sounds great as a mono in single-voice unison mode so, despite recently selling my P6, I'm actually pretty interested in this as a Minitaur replacement/alternative.

I even don't mind the limited UI as it appears to give me the numerical values for parameters that I so missed on the P6.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 03:48:30 AM »
Why has this thread been placed in "other Hardware/Software" ?

The synth has Dave Smith Instruments written on it, as well as Pioneer, and the devices are also present here on DSI's webpage... how much did Pioneer actually create in this exept for the design, to warrant this to be considdered "other hardware/software" ? :D
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 06:38:46 AM »
Why has this thread been placed in "other Hardware/Software" ?

The synth has Dave Smith Instruments written on it, as well as Pioneer, and the devices are also present here on DSI's webpage... how much did Pioneer actually create in this exept for the design, to warrant this to be considdered "other hardware/software" ? :D

NOTE to MODERATORS: while I understand that you wish to flow support-related questions and discussions through to Pioneer DJ, could we have a sub-forum setup (similar to the Prophet-* structure) for discussion of the Toraiz units?

I, for one, will be buying one of these.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000