OB-6 Unstable USB MIDI under Logic Pro X

Re: OB-6 Unstable USB MIDI under Logic Pro X
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
It might be worth checking the volume on the instrument has not been set to zero - this was definitely an issue for me when I thought USB wasn't working. For a while I had an expression pedal plugged in to the volume input and this turned the volume back up again - CC4 not CC11. Sending a CC7 command didn't reset it either, which was weird. At least I didn't have to keep cycling power. May be a red herring but worth a try?

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »

That's certainly convoluted, just one question: what's your firmware version? Have you updated to 1.1.4?

Mine shipped with the latest already installed.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

autoy

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 02:42:02 AM »
Hi,
i have the same Problem.But im running Cubase Pro 9.01.OB 6 Keyboard freezes all the Time. Cant say its only happening when i play Chords.Its also happening when i play some Unison Sounds.When it happens i have to power Cycle the OB 6.
Will test it with Pro Tools HD 12 also.But i guess it isn't a DAW issue.Im running 1.1.4.1.

Thanks for your experience. As expected, it's a 1.1.4.1 bug and not a DAW or configuration problem. We'd be thankful if someone at DSI could acknowledge this bug, there seems to be a pretty wide evidence.

autoy

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 02:43:49 AM »
It might be worth checking the volume on the instrument has not been set to zero - this was definitely an issue for me when I thought USB wasn't working. For a while I had an expression pedal plugged in to the volume input and this turned the volume back up again - CC4 not CC11. Sending a CC7 command didn't reset it either, which was weird. At least I didn't have to keep cycling power. May be a red herring but worth a try?

Nope, nor reset command related, that's been ruled out. Hanging notes and entire MIDI IN freeze are not caused by reset commands and happen regardless of their activation state.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:14:02 AM by autoy »

autoy

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 01:21:42 AM »
A little update on this: seems to be a problem with Logic Pro X rather than the OB-6 fortunately. I couldn't reproduce the bug with Ableton Live. It also seems limited to USB MIDI and not DIN MIDI, so that could be a temporary workaround.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 01:42:34 AM »
A little update on this: seems to be a problem with Logic Pro X rather than the OB-6 fortunately. I couldn't reproduce the bug with Ableton Live. It also seems limited to USB MIDI and not DIN MIDI, so that could be a temporary workaround.

Yes I think you are right - yesterday I had the same issues with USB/Logic but when I tested it in Live it was fine. I think have fixed the problem - it's been fine since last night. Check the Library/Audio/Midi Drivers folder and remove any MIDI Plugins that you aren't using -  one of which was actually a Digidesign MIDI Plug. If you use Pro Tools you could just move the Digidesign one to your desktop and then try Logic. Before this 'fix' I could get the OB-6 to crash by playing a sequence and editing the sound at the same time.

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 04:53:37 AM »
Yep, having the same issue with Logic and latest version of firmware.  Removed Midi Drivers in OSX for stuff I no longer have, rebooted, but still it causes stuck notes etc.
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

autoy

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 01:23:15 PM »
I wasn't able to fix it removing midi drivers either, nor with the latest Logic Pro X 10.3.1 released this week. I'll be opening a bug with Logic engineers and keep you guys updated.

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
I wasn't able to fix it removing midi drivers either, nor with the latest Logic Pro X 10.3.1 released this week. I'll be opening a bug with Logic engineers and keep you guys updated.

Any update? Adding to the chorus that the OB-6 (firmware 1.1.4) crashes consistently for me when playing a sequence via Logic Pro X (10.3.1) and editing a sound at the same time, using USB midi. The result is stuck notes and/or the OB-6 becoming unresponsive.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:23:06 PM by mcnitt »

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
For those of you experiencing MIDI troubles specific to Logic, I wanted to pop in and list some things to try in terms of reconfiguring Logic's settings, one or more of which is often successful in resolving MIDI issues (not just with the P6, I should add). The following list has been compiled from user feedback, including from our own Bob the Dog--thanks!

1. Uncheck all reset messages: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13368?locale=en_US

I hope this helps.

This has worked for me!  8)

Disabling all Reset messages in Logic has cured the problem. I tested my OB-6 module and P-6 keyboard all morning with Live and they were both perfect - no issues whatsoever. So this afternoon I went back to Logic and turned off all the Reset Messages - no problems for 4 hours! The only thing I have to do is create a Midi region for OB-6 and P6 that just has CC#4 message. This is the Foot Control message which I set to 127 and forget about it. Logic will chase and pick this up everytime you press play. Message is Bn 04 7F  or 04 127 in decimal. I've now saved this as part of my template. I've been using MIDI clock (both set to nSS) as well.

BTW if I delete these messages both synths eventually produce no sound.

To summarise:

OB-6  Firmware 1.2
P-6 Firmware 1.4  (Local Off)
Logic 10.2.4

Both units run perfectly in Ableton Live so nothing wrong with my synths.
Logic runs fine with reset messages turned off but with the CC#4 messages at the top of the song.

I will test with Cubase tomorrow.

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
This has worked for me!  8)

Disabling all Reset messages in Logic has cured the problem. I tested my OB-6 module and P-6 keyboard all morning with Live and they were both perfect - no issues whatsoever. So this afternoon I went back to Logic and turned off all the Reset Messages - no problems for 4 hours! The only thing I have to do is create a Midi region for OB-6 and P6 that just has CC#4 message. This is the Foot Control message which I set to 127 and forget about it. Logic will chase and pick this up everytime you press play. Message is Bn 04 7F  or 04 127 in decimal. I've now saved this as part of my template. I've been using MIDI clock (both set to nSS) as well.

This does not work for me. All Logic reset messages were already turned off, and I created a CC#4 message set to 127 -- no difference. Turning any knob on the OB-6 while in Logic crashes the OB-6 almost instantly making the OB-6 completely unusable in Logic Pro X, my only DAW.

Can you help, DSI? If I can't resolve basic midi operation I will have to sell the OB-6. A shame.

OB-6 Firmware 1.2.0
Logic Pro X 10.3.1

rtb

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 06:19:38 PM »
Even with the 1.2 update mine still hangs notes in Logic when using midi then the sound cuts out altogether and I have to restart the unit. Is there a fix for this?

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
OB-6 Desktop OS 1.2.0
DAW: Reaper v5.40 64bit

Hello people,

having the same issue: OB-6 sometimes freezes and needs restarting when receiving MIDI events via USB (using Reaper).

I will try to narrow down the issue as I'm not entirely sure what causes it. The last time it happened:

- Reaper was sending 4-beat-long chords to OB-6 (plus MIDI clock)
- OB-6 Arp was switched on
- I was tuning the OSC 1 frequency

.. and it got stuck. Annoying as I lost the patch I was working on.

I'm wondering whether the cause of this issue is that the OB-6 tries to access an out-of-bounds MIDI note; or a Note On event was never freed by a corresponding Note Off, so the array holding the currently playing MIDI notes grows past its size limit..

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:03:47 PM by arhythmetic »

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »
Hi!
I searched an answer to my problem which was about Prophet 6, not OB6. Anyway I found this thread and someone mentioned about switching to midi cable instead of using usb. I tried using only midi cable, not with the usb, but with a midi cable thru midi interface. And so far my pro6 is working as expected, not a single freeze since. So, thanks, and hope this thing gets fixed for everybody else too!

Globals are set as follows:
Midi Channel: 16
Midi Clock: nSS
Clock Port: Mid
Parameter Tran: NR
Parameter Rcv: NR
Midi Control: On
Midi Sysex: midi
Midi Out: midi
Local Control: off

autoy

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 03:32:30 AM »
I can confirm switching to MIDI DIN cables there seems to be no issues. It's only under USB there's problems but we can work around this way until Apple fixes the bug in Logic.

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
I can confirm switching to MIDI DIN cables there seems to be no issues. It's only under USB there's problems but we can work around this way until Apple fixes the bug in Logic.
What I don't understand is why my Sub 37 runs perfectly in Logic Pro X 10.2.4 even with the Sub editor as a plugin running along side a MIDI track. The Sub sends a lot of data although I don't think its NPRN - which maybe the issue. I can get the OB-6 module to crash by simply looping a few single notes and sweeping the Filter Amount knob from -127 to +127 and/or sweeping the Filter Release - only takes a couple of seconds. I can bring the OB-6 back to life by doing a Reset from the MIDI preferences menu.

As a work around for Logic I have a bought a secondhand MIDISport 2x2 and both synths work perfectly on MIDI DIN in Logic. I would like to know the answer to this problem though I suspect it's down to how the software is handling NRPNs over USB.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:22:40 PM by vcfvca »