filter doesn't track with glide, pitch wheel

filter doesn't track with glide, pitch wheel
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »

To me this seems like a "bug". Try a simple mono synth (Unison) patch with glide, and set the glide so that it takes maybe half a second to glide an octave. Also have the filter keyboard tracking set to full.

The result sounds strange because the filter immediately jumps to the new value (i.e. immediately opens up when going up an octave), while the pitch lags behind. To my taste, the filter cutoff should also be gliding along with the VCOs.

I have the same issue with the pitch wheel - I wish that the pitch wheel affected the filter cutoff (if it is set to track the keyboard). Do others agree?

Re: filter doesn't track with glide, pitch wheel
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:35:12 AM »
Thinking about it, I'm surprised by your observations. From a historic perspective you would totally expect the filter to track the pitch voltage sent to the oscillators. This pitch voltage normally has a separate input from osc octave voltages, tuning and interval trims, but it should include glide since glide is normally added as a function of the sample and hold input coming directly from the keybed pitch voltage. I'm not sure pitch bend is expected as part of this or indeed any eg voltage, simply because there are times when an eg applied to filter cutoff didn't ought to effect oscillator pitch or similarly an octave pitch bend might pretty much close the filter. Although it would be nice if these were options. LFO is applied separately to both.
Agreed though the lack of glide on filter tracking seems like a bug on the P6. This is partly driven by the fact that the P6 low pass filter will self oscillate and can be used as a third oscillator.

Sadly though, my experiments on my P6 show that although the low pass filter will track for a reasonable range in tune relative to itself, it is more or less impossible to adjust the cutoff to get the filter in tune with the osc 1 and 2, if for example you want to replicate Hammond drawbar harmonics. This is because the cutoff pot resolution isn't fine enough. On a miniMoog for example, you've got a direct link from the pot voltage to the filter cutoff providing much higher resolution. This isn't the case on the P6. Instead the pot voltage is converted into a digital representation by the P6 pot ADC. Clearly either the ADC isn't up to the job or the value read is being compromised to suit Midi cc.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:12:36 AM by Hector Space »
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |