Pad lights behavior

idm

Pad lights behavior
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:46:09 AM »
Hi,

Got my tempest since last Sunday, and so far it's everything I had hoped for. A sound designers' dream, especially for techno sound design. It's a machine I've been thinking about buying for years now, but the many OS problems held me back. Seeing the many bug fixes in the current beta OS, And Roger helping out,  I pulled the trigger, and I'm very glad I did!
I already feel right at home, and it's just a matter of getting faster with it. I haven't even touched the FX yet, just the main controls designing kicks, basses, percussion, and sequencing. Awesome :).

Anyway, let me get to the point :P. It's a small issue, maybe it's expected behavior: The lighting behavior under the pads seems a bit unconventional. For almost every pad I program when I select a sound with a pad and play a sequence, the light turns off when the sample is triggered. It's a bit unconventional, but it's ok. However, on some other pads, when the sound is triggered, it goes from dimly lid to fully lid. Does it have to do with how long a pad is held maybe?

Re: Pad lights behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 02:52:12 AM »
Welcome and hope you have lots of fun with your Tempest.From the description of your issue i can tell this is not the expected behavior so i would contact support the guys there are very helpful.

idm

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:46:07 AM »
Hi Yorgos,

thanks for your quick response. If I understand correctly, the dimly lid pad going off on trigger isn't to be expected?

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 04:06:39 AM »
Tempest doesn't have a dimly mode pad lights are fully lid.

idm

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 04:18:50 AM »
Hum? It sure has. At least mine has...
I mean the lights under the 16 pads. In 16 mutes mode they are fully lid, in 16 sounds mode they are off, unless a pad is slected, then it is dimly lid.

Maybe I'm explaining it wrong.

- pad function: 16 sounds
- Select a pad which has a sequence
- Play sequence, on sound trigger light goes off, when unselected, light goes fully ON when triggered by sequencer.

I figured it out what the difference is with some pads going from dimly lid to fully lid on trigger:

- When a pad is in AD mode and selected, it will turn from dimly lid to OFF when triggered by the sequencer.
- When a pad is in ADSR mode and selected, it will turn from dimly lid to fully lid when triggered by the sequencer.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:21:58 AM by idm »

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:56:03 AM »
Can you upload a video of your issue?

idm

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 12:54:35 AM »
Got a reply from DSI :). It's normal behavior.
From Andy
" So, as you've noted, there are 3 states for the pad LEDs: off, half lit and fully lit. Your observations about the pad LED behaviors are correct. We find it handy to know when the envelopes for a given sound are in AD or ADSR mode with visual feedback. Since you have three states, the only way to indicate the envelope mode for the selected pad is with the combinations that are currently implemented."

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 02:56:06 AM »
Hmmm didn't know that...Glad everything's normal ;)