Oops I partially blew one up :(

Oops I partially blew one up :(
« on: January 12, 2017, 06:49:10 AM »
So in an act of gross stupidity I connected a 12V supply to the USB Hub my P2, P12, Kemper and SY300 were attached to.

The Kemper and SY300 survived but the P2 and P12 both have USB problems, not sure if there are other issues yet, they both seem to work and midi seems good.

So I have opened the P2 to have a look, part of the PIC32 seems to be melted right near the usb pins so I guess some of the internal traces got a bit hot.

The PIC32 seems to be running ok though as the rest of the synth seems fine.

Next to see if the P12 is the same...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:03:03 AM by BobTheDog »

NLB

Re: Oops I partially blew one up :(
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »
Ouch, that looks scary. My condolences. I hope there's an easy fix.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »
Ouch! Looks like you may have to get the main board replaced, or at least have it double-checked first to see whether everything is still running as it's supposed to (on the board, not in the OS).

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
I'm just going to rework that IC, the issue is not covered by warranty and DSI told me to talk to cimpersolutions (who had my Tempest for 4 months to fix two voices) or synthersizerservice.de who will probably charge around 300 euros for each one, that was the G2 USB fix cost form them anyway. So I will just do it myself.

There is another component near the USB port that also might have gone but there is no id on it, I'll email DSI and ask them what it is and replace that at the same time as I do the PIC32.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:18:14 PM »
The wonderful Tracy has been in touch and if I send the boards to DSI they will repair them for me.

Very good news, very pleased.

Saves me arseing anything more up!

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
That's very cool! Glad that everything worked out this way.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:52:11 PM »
Have you ever tried to profile the SY-300, Bob?

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:39:07 PM »
No I haven't, must admit it never crossed my mind!

ARNK

• Audio wishes from planet Mars / MEME DespiZer
    • Returning to Zero
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »
Damn man, I'm checking all of my power supplies now.
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
The wonderful Tracy has been in touch and if I send the boards to DSI they will repair them for me.

Very good news, very pleased.

Saves me arseing anything more up!
That's super cool! A++ Customer Service!

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
I have the fixed boards back now and I just want to post here about the fantastic DSI support I have had on this matter.

Considering I was the numptie that caused the problems they fixed both boards for $50 including postage back from the states to the UK.

I don't think you could ask for any better support than that!

Thanks DSI.

Andy

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »
Fantastic!
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
I have the fixed boards back now and I just want to post here about the fantastic DSI support I have had on this matter.

Considering I was the numptie that caused the problems they fixed both boards for $50 including postage back from the states to the UK.

I don't think you could ask for any better support than that!

Thanks DSI.

Andy

That's my DSI!  I've had the same types of experiences with them.  They're the best.