Can Tempest do this?

Can Tempest do this?
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »
Can the tempest do what I want it to do? I want to program beats (verses,fills,chorus, bridges), bass lines, and leads to back up my songs while I sing and play guitar for 2-3 hours. Ideally I could record guitar parts into this, but I've heard it won't do that. Is there enough memory in this sequencer to accomplish my goal of going laptop-less?

Re: Can Tempest do this?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:32:19 PM »
I've moved your question to this topic cause it was irrelevant with the feature request thread..
Tempest can do all of what you've said except recording your guitar as it doesn't have an a line input.Also it's limited to 6 voices but with careful programming & choking you can make it work.Lastly i'm guessing you already know it doesn't samples so along with the onboard and external  Sysex patches you have to program your own sounds.
Can the tempest do what I want it to do? I want to program beats (verses,fills,chorus, bridges), bass lines, and leads to back up my songs while I sing and play guitar for 2-3 hours. Ideally I could record guitar parts into this, but I've heard it won't do that. Is there enough memory in this sequencer to accomplish my goal of going laptop-less?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:35:36 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

idm

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 02:47:40 AM »
Can't believe this is my first post here, as I'm a very new owner of an older Tempest and I'm incredibly happy with it so far! However, I can't help but giving advise on this as I'm also a guitar player next to being producer, and I kind of get what you are aiming for:).

Honestly, I'd go for a standalone sampler if I were you. Akai is releasing some stand alone samplers soon that would serve your purpose better than Tempest. Unless you really want to get into sound design and program drum sounds etc. from the ground up... You cannot record anything into tempest, while with the Akai stuff you get a full workstation. So if you want to go laptop less, this is your best bet imho. Even found the perfect video for you about the akai ;p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=457&v=yDoHh3nRQyg
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:49:36 AM by idm »

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:50:24 AM »
What I can recommend is you assign specific beats/bass lines to each pad and use a midi foot controller to toggle between them while you sit and play guitar. This is what I do and it works well. You can program a full song using the beats/bass lines to play right through but personally I think it's better to have a little more personal interaction and control over the machine and have you lead it as opposed to it leading you.

Shea

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
i've jammed with my guitar, pedals, looper and tempest, but just with a 808 kit i made.

if you treat T as an on the fly drum machine, it's very immediate and open to improvisation. there are so many things you could do. it's even more manageable if you stick to 1 bar and do live mutes etc. i could see maybe jamming with 4 bars and doing some synth lines also, but you'd need a somewhat involved setup to do this and it sounds like you don't want that. tempest will teach you a lot, but it takes a year or so to really get it. you need a mixer and a couple effects to make the tempest more palatable for standalone use.

if you don't want to wait for mpc live, go for an electribe 2 sampler. they imitated the design scheme of the tempest, but you can load samples into it also.