Poly After Touch and OB-X8

Poly After Touch and OB-X8
« on: April 12, 2024, 01:19:03 AM »
Bought an Korg Keystage 61 (but returned as MIDI 2.0 didn’t worked out at expected and the keys were not good) that has a Poly Aftertouch and MPE keyboard. OB-X8 receive external Poly Aftertouch and it worked out at once without any problems.

I thought I would use Poly AT for everything, but it wasn’t the case - it works for some few sounds but not the majority of sounds I use.

The next MIDI controller I will buy will be with Poly AT (still there are only some few around but I’m sure it will be more common for new models) as the OX-X8 receives Poly AT. If Poly AT can be set per patch at the controller it would make everything smoother.

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
Re: Poly After Touch and OB-X8
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 09:09:59 AM »
In general all of the aftertouch implementations on Sequential synths have a generic "Aftertouch" amount and it will use Channel or Poly based on what the controlling keyboard sends. That's just kind of how they've done it for a long time and I don't expect it to change. Probably easier to change what type of AT your controller is sending.
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 01:41:02 PM »
I have a vintage Ensoniq SQ-80 with PolyAftertouch and have tried it playing my OB-X8. It works as a polyphonic Aftertouch for the filter (controlling each voice's filter independently) but for controlling the modulation it acts as a channel Aftertouch.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Prophet REV2 (16V), VC340

g3o2

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 03:17:02 PM »
That’s because on the OBX8 and the Prophet rev 4, the LFO is not polyphonic, aka per voice. Then again, controlling LFO with polyAT is kind of missing the point. In a polyAT setting, you want your fingers to become the LFO or the envelope rather than to control an LFO or an envelope.

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:48:26 AM »
I can also confirm:
-obx8's own keyboard does channel aftertouch only, which makes aftertouch for lever box lfo amount possible.
-obx8 keyboard does not support poly pressure and can't modulate the filter using aftertouch.
-obx8 will respond to external midi keyboard poly pressure for modulating filter for individual voices.
-obx8 will respond to channel aftertouch from external keyboard to modulate lever box lfo amount.

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:24:36 PM »
-obx8 keyboard does not support poly pressure and can't modulate the filter using aftertouch.

OBX8 keyboard does modulate filter cutoff (all voices) using its channel aftertouch.  Check your page 2 menu, there's a setting to vary the amount of filter aftertouch and it may not be turned up.

-obx8 will respond to channel aftertouch from external keyboard to modulate lever box lfo amount.

And filter cutoff (all voices), see above.

« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:03:45 AM »

OBX8 keyboard does modulate filter cutoff (all voices) using its channel aftertouch.  Check your page 2 menu, there's a setting to vary the amount of filter aftertouch and it may not be turned up.

And filter cutoff (all voices), see above.

Thanks Real MC. You are right! That good old page 2.

I am most happy to get poly pressure working as I never realized it was possible based on what people were saying online..