Rev 2 Keyboard Responsiveness

Rev 2 Keyboard Responsiveness
« on: March 23, 2018, 06:45:55 PM »
Hey guys, Rev 2 just came in the mail today. I have the 16 voice version I'm having an issue with keyboard responsiveness, as in some of the notes I press aren't cueing a sound. It seems to only happen on some of the more "electric piano" sounds will just not play a note randomly. For example if i press middle c 16 times in a row the 9th and 13th press will not trigger a note. Then if I do it again the 3rd or 7th note might not trigger. It doesn't seem to be connected to velocity. I thought it might be from running out of voices but it doesn't seem to be something that happens on the 16th note being hit.

Also worth mentioning this is my first hardware synth so I'm new to all this.

I just wanted to ask the community if they thought it was a quirk of the synth or worth contacting support?

Re: Rev 2 Keyboard Responsiveness
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 02:34:37 AM »
Try to switch off unison and just use one of the layers ?

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:52:53 AM »
Hello and welcome Cosmoproblems.

I strongly suggest calibrating the synth, if you haven’t done so already.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
So I started calibrating it, but now its stuck on Voice 12 Osc 1. Do you think its okay to power it down? It says not to in the manual but I don't know what else to do...

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:20:42 AM »
So I started calibrating it, but now its stuck on Voice 12 Osc 1. Do you think its okay to power it down? It says not to in the manual but I don't know what else to do...

Yes, it's okay to power it down.
Power it back up again, wait for it to complete boot up, and then press both the "Down" and "Up" buttons and hold them, and press "Global" to access the Debug Menu.
Then under item number 1, proceed to clear the calibration data by pressing the "Write" button. Then press "Global" to get out of that Menu and proceed to calibrate the synth once again, and things should get back in order after that.

Note: the calibration might take longer since it will have to start from scratch for every voice and not take into account any previously saved calibration data. Be patient. And if it still gets stuck along the way, simply power down, and redo another calibration.

Several REV2 owners, including myself, will confirm that the calibration does get stuck sometimes on a voice, and it can take a few calibrations for things to get back on track.

If, however, after several attempts at calibration with the synth still getting stuck each time, maybe it would be time to contact DSI support about it.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:32:50 AM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »
Alas, no such luck. Calibration gets stuck at voice 12 Osc 1 every single time. I keep getting random notes that won't trigger, and I suspect the two problems are linked.

Alain thanks for your help, I guess its time to see what this Dave Smith customer support is all about.