Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Other Hardware/Software / Re: 3rd Wave
« Last post by LPF83 on Today at 11:41:48 AM »
Sounds really cool.  Was hoping this update would drop before the long weekend.

That would have been nice, indeed. 

Another side of me kind of hopes they take their time to get it right and test thoroughly before they release it, as being a beta tester is time consuming too :)   As far as I know all of the Groove team have day jobs and do this in their spare time.  Pretty amazing what they've already accomplished! 
Prophet Rev2 / How to copy "half" a preset onto another preset
« Last post by nubba111 on Today at 11:19:15 AM »
Is there a way to copy the "A" part of a preset onto the "A" part of another preset? I can't figure it out!  Thanks in advance!
Hi there. The 2.0.4 beta OS is stickied at the top of this P5/10 forum thread. It's here: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4873.0.html
Hello, all -
Is this 2.0.4 OS a beta or an official release?  On Sequential's support area for the Prophet 5/10 there is only listed 2.0.1, nothing more recent.  Any clarifications much appreciated, as I am hesitant to update from 2.0.1.
Thank you.

As a new owner, THIS. A bit confused. Mine shipped with 2.0.0, so I went to the Sequential download page and updated to 2.0.1 (no change log found???), then I find out there's also a 2.0.4, but can't even find the download for it...
Prophet-5/Prophet-10 / Re: Key commands
« Last post by gus on Today at 10:19:45 AM »
Have not seen this in the manual:

- While holding down Global and selet Program 5 (the global option buttons) there is an option that says 000 and can be set to + or - values. What is that?

- When then hit one more time it says Jup, what is that?

Global + 5 is for CV calibration - more details on Page 54 of the manual. It gets cal'd from the factory, so you generally shouldn't have to adjust these settings.

Enter cv cal mode   "Hold Global + 5
2) Prog 1 = CV out lo; 2 = CV out high; 3=CV in lo; 4= CV in high . Inc/Dec to change value
3) Hitting 5 does cv in auto cal
4) Hitting 8 exits cal mode, at any time"
OB-X8 / Re: presets
« Last post by gus on Today at 10:13:25 AM »
Hi Josh,

The left encoder from the screen changes the Bank (OB-X8, OB-8, etc.). The right encoder from the screen changes the Group (each group contains 8 presets). Once you've selected your Bank and Group using the encoders, press the Programmer buttons 1-8 to select a preset. The A/B/C/D letters are present on the legacy banks, as that was how the vintage presets were originally categorized. You can find more info on page 6 in the manual.

To reset all patches to their factory state, navigate to the 'Reset Prgm To Factory' Global and select ALL.
« Last post by Soundquest on Today at 07:24:37 AM »
Update from Bob Coover on the Miles Away video comments:

"Final spec - We will have a total of 35 seconds and also lower sample rates that will give you more time. You can drop the bit depth from 16 to 12 or 8 bit as well. You can have 8 possible samples spread across the note range per patch that can be assigned any where on the keyboard. You can do looping with either equal gain or equal power crossfades with a settable crossfade length for each sample. And each multi-sample can be tuned independently. Any or all of the oscillators can be samples in addition to our other three oscillator types."

Very exciting!

Sounds really cool.  Was hoping this update would drop before the long weekend.
General / Re: Sequential Synths - Overbridge - Reaper
« Last post by hoodoo_ray on Today at 05:44:30 AM »
If I am understanding correctly, overbridge is something like the "total integration" feature of the Virus TI line.

There are a number of issues that tend to emerge with this approach (like the synth vendor's ability or willingness to keep up with changes to the host operating systems version over time), dealing with USB latency on high voice counts and other integration woes, to the point that support for the integration costs the vendor more than the support for the hardware.. which is one reason I believe that more products don't do this.

For me, the biggest problem with audio over USB is that it never sounds as good or as alive as just using analog outs going into the converters of a good audio interface on the same synth.  To my ears it just seems to suck the life out of the signal (and I've seen reviewers say the same thing, at least about the Virus).

I totally get the convenience factor of USB integration... and to some extent maybe the plug-out model of the Roland System 8 is a good approach to integration for a virtual analog synth that solves some of these problems....   But Sequential/Oberheim synths are best known for their analog sound and how they function as stand alone instruments, so huge investments in DAW integration might not make that much sense for them from a business model perspective.

Most of the time, working with analog gear and DAW integration is an inherent pain in the ass compared to the convenience of VSTs, and I totally respect that some vendors seek to bridge that gap with proprietary solution, but I don't think it is every vendor's responsibility to integrate with every other vendor's proprietary solution.  MIDI is kind of a lowest common denominator but it still remains the most universal method of interoperability.

I didn't understand the challenge around having a MIDI and an audio track.  If any DAW doesn't give both options to do either that, or have an integrated "external instrument" track, I would definitely seek out another DAW, both Ableton and Cubase do this no problem.

Agreed with pretty much all this! The only thing I would say is that I don't have too much of an issue integrating analog stuff with DAWs - in my experience the key thing is getting the MIDI aspect sorted out, once that's done everything else is pretty easy in my view. Something simple like the Kenton MIDI boxes are great if anyone is trying to integrate a number of devices at the same time. How I am working currently is basically doing one thing at a time, so I just swap the cables around as needed right now - only 2 MIDI cables in use! Sounds a bit archaic, but it takes just a few seconds to do - my only worry with this approach is doing something to the physical MIDI ports!

Agree it's not difficult if you're used to it.   I cut my synth teeth on hardware plus Atari ST in the 80s, so I am used to dealing with external gear.  But a lot of folks who start out in-the-box are used to a level of convenience that you get with strictly software setups... not dealing so much with MIDI channels, midi and audio timing issues, bouncing things that will be impossible to recall any other way, ground loops and other noise issues, etc.   So I think that some of the proprietary hw/sw integration solutions are designed to find the middle ground between plug-in convenience and the sound quality and tactile experience of hardware.

Yes that's a good point about people starting off in the current era. And things are definitely going in the direction of integration of software and hardware for sure.
General / Re: Sequential Synths - Overbridge - Reaper
« Last post by LPF83 on Today at 05:35:46 AM »
If I am understanding correctly, overbridge is something like the "total integration" feature of the Virus TI line.

There are a number of issues that tend to emerge with this approach (like the synth vendor's ability or willingness to keep up with changes to the host operating systems version over time), dealing with USB latency on high voice counts and other integration woes, to the point that support for the integration costs the vendor more than the support for the hardware.. which is one reason I believe that more products don't do this.

For me, the biggest problem with audio over USB is that it never sounds as good or as alive as just using analog outs going into the converters of a good audio interface on the same synth.  To my ears it just seems to suck the life out of the signal (and I've seen reviewers say the same thing, at least about the Virus).

I totally get the convenience factor of USB integration... and to some extent maybe the plug-out model of the Roland System 8 is a good approach to integration for a virtual analog synth that solves some of these problems....   But Sequential/Oberheim synths are best known for their analog sound and how they function as stand alone instruments, so huge investments in DAW integration might not make that much sense for them from a business model perspective.

Most of the time, working with analog gear and DAW integration is an inherent pain in the ass compared to the convenience of VSTs, and I totally respect that some vendors seek to bridge that gap with proprietary solution, but I don't think it is every vendor's responsibility to integrate with every other vendor's proprietary solution.  MIDI is kind of a lowest common denominator but it still remains the most universal method of interoperability.

I didn't understand the challenge around having a MIDI and an audio track.  If any DAW doesn't give both options to do either that, or have an integrated "external instrument" track, I would definitely seek out another DAW, both Ableton and Cubase do this no problem.

Agreed with pretty much all this! The only thing I would say is that I don't have too much of an issue integrating analog stuff with DAWs - in my experience the key thing is getting the MIDI aspect sorted out, once that's done everything else is pretty easy in my view. Something simple like the Kenton MIDI boxes are great if anyone is trying to integrate a number of devices at the same time. How I am working currently is basically doing one thing at a time, so I just swap the cables around as needed right now - only 2 MIDI cables in use! Sounds a bit archaic, but it takes just a few seconds to do - my only worry with this approach is doing something to the physical MIDI ports!

Agree it's not difficult if you're used to it.   I cut my synth teeth on hardware plus Atari ST in the 80s, so I am used to dealing with external gear.  But a lot of folks who start out in-the-box are used to a level of convenience that you get with strictly software setups... not dealing so much with MIDI channels, midi and audio timing issues, bouncing things that will be impossible to recall any other way, ground loops and other noise issues, etc.   So I think that some of the proprietary hw/sw integration solutions are designed to find the middle ground between plug-in convenience and the sound quality and tactile experience of hardware.
« Last post by LPF83 on Today at 05:30:49 AM »
Update from Bob Coover on the Miles Away video comments:

"Final spec - We will have a total of 35 seconds and also lower sample rates that will give you more time. You can drop the bit depth from 16 to 12 or 8 bit as well. You can have 8 possible samples spread across the note range per patch that can be assigned any where on the keyboard. You can do looping with either equal gain or equal power crossfades with a settable crossfade length for each sample. And each multi-sample can be tuned independently. Any or all of the oscillators can be samples in addition to our other three oscillator types."

Very exciting!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10