Converting AS-1 patches for use in Prophet 6?

Converting AS-1 patches for use in Prophet 6?
« on: August 31, 2020, 01:26:31 PM »
Has anyone successfully converted or successfully transmitted Toraiz AS-1 patches to the Prophet-6? I can successfully transmit a patch from the Prophet 6 to the AS-1 via program dump from the P6, but cannot get it to work trying to send a patch from the AS-1 to the P6.

I would add that the Prophet 6 makes a fantastic patch editor for the AS-1!

Re: Converting AS-1 patches for use in Prophet 6?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 06:23:49 PM »
Has anyone successfully converted or successfully transmitted Toraiz AS-1 patches to the Prophet-6? I can successfully transmit a patch from the Prophet 6 to the AS-1 via program dump from the P6, but cannot get it to work trying to send a patch from the AS-1 to the P6.

I would add that the Prophet 6 makes a fantastic patch editor for the AS-1!

Oh! Does this mean I could upload a P6 sound bank into my AS-1 with the editor?? That sound be amazing!!
OB6, PROPHET 6, REV2, PRO 3, AS-1, MOOG GRANDMOTHER, HYDRASYNTH, B2600, DIGITAKT, ANALOG RYTM, ASSORTED EURORACK

Jexus

• www.sounds-for-synths.com
    • www.sounds-for-synths.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 03:46:21 AM »
I'd like to know the answer too. Can Prophet-6 patches be imported into the AS-1?

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 06:26:54 AM »
I'm going to say no but if you have an AS1 and P6 editor you can try and match the patches you want.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 08:58:07 AM »
I am under the impression that you can actually literally send a sysex P6 patch to an AS-1 and it will work. I could be wrong, but I believe they use the same sysex format. That said, there might need to be some conversion (e.g. the SoundTower editor might import P6 patches and convert them to AS-1) but I seem to recall (though I can't find it now) someone (from DSI?) saying it was directly compatible, without conversion.

[Edit: There is an AS-1 forum section here. You might be better off posting there than here in the P6 section, since your question more correctly applies to the AS-1, not the P6.]
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 12:06:09 PM »
I am under the impression that you can actually literally send a sysex P6 patch to an AS-1 and it will work. I could be wrong, but I believe they use the same sysex format. That said, there might need to be some conversion (e.g. the SoundTower editor might import P6 patches and convert them to AS-1) but I seem to recall (though I can't find it now) someone (from DSI?) saying it was directly compatible, without conversion.

[Edit: There is an AS-1 forum section here. You might be better off posting there than here in the P6 section, since your question more correctly applies to the AS-1, not the P6.]

Unfortunately the Pioneer/Toriaz section of the forum is a ghost town.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 03:29:19 PM »
Unfortunately the Pioneer/Toriaz section of the forum is a ghost town.

Only because questions like this which might liven it up don't get posted there instead!  ;D
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 04:54:28 PM »
I've never tried to send a patch from one to the other, but I have recreated some patches manually (using an editor to confirm values on both synths) and doing so was a reasonably fast for each patch..  although I wasn't doing dozens or hundreds at a time.

Keep in mind FX implementation is different between the two synths, and in my tests, the AS-1 sounded a little punchier for bass sounds compared to the P6 with patch parameters being equal (I wrote about this and posted clips in this post:  https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,5559.0.html). 

If anyone tries sending sysex for one to the other I'd love to hear how it goes either in this thread or the AS-1 thread.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

KenM

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2024, 06:08:33 PM »
Yes: a P6 edit buffer dump is accepted by the AS-1 :)  NRPN must be mostly the same also - can control the AS-1 with a P6 editor. Note that poly sequence data is not included (not surprisingly).

(much like the later Tetra and Rev2 can receive the earlier Prophet 08's programs, with some differences in some sounds)

Would need a converter to send AS-1 programs to a P6 ... probably not too hard to make