Trigon-6 MPE

Trigon-6 MPE
« on: May 16, 2024, 09:15:10 PM »
I'm using the Trigon-6 desktop with the Osmose keyboard, both setup in MPE mode.
Most patches sound kind of funny in such mode, I wonder if there is a subset of factory patches
that are designed to work nicely in MPE mode. That would be really a convenient way to showcase such mode.

Also, when the Trigon is in MPE mode (Midi Channel: MPE) The arpeggiator and the Hold function
doesn't appear to work, is that the intended behavior? Couldn't find anything in the manual
supplement.

Thanks!

BT

Re: Trigon-6 MPE
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 09:08:21 AM »
Hi. The notion of some presets that showcase MPE is a good idea - noted!

It is expected that neither the arpeggiator nor the hold function will work while in MPE mode. In this mode, the controller takes precedence (due to the multi-MIDI-channel nature of MPE), so arpeggiation will need to come from the MPE device.
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 04:00:26 PM »
Excellent! A description or perhaps a video showing what is relevant when creating an MPE patch would be very useful too :)

Thankfully it seems that the next version of the Osmose OS will finally support the MIDI MPE arpeggiator

I noticed that the MPE settings are in the Global settings page 3. It would be more flexible if they can be stored independently for each patch instead of globally. I wonder if that is possible.

I'm not positive about this, but it appears that the Amp envelope is still triggered when in MPE mode. In the case of the Osmose, it's the finger vertical motion (channel pressure?) that "generates" the envelope shape. I find hard to replicate the same sensitivity in the Trigon, but probably I'm missing something.

Thanks!

g3o2

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 08:48:16 AM »
I'm not positive about this, but it appears that the Amp envelope is still triggered when in MPE mode. In the case of the Osmose, it's the finger vertical motion (channel pressure?) that "generates" the envelope shape. I find hard to replicate the same sensitivity in the Trigon, but probably I'm missing something.

In the video here below, Josh and Anthony show what’s needed to make synths behave better under MPE. Their solution is a “gate which fires the envelope generators” (check at around 8:00 and following):

The synths in this video are modular, so I guess in the case of Trigon, Sequential would have to code this on their side as a sort of EG trigger/gate parameter.

Btw, Osmose’s sound generator (EaganMatrix, also a modular synth) does not only derive the envelope shape and duration from the fingers but also from programmed envelopes baked into the presets. I guess the idea is similar to the demonstration in the above video, even though the implementation might be very different in the EM.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 08:57:19 AM by g3o2 »