Help Me Design A Realistic E-piano Sound? (audio sample video link)

I have been trying to get close to the E-Piano sounds in this video with the rev4

I can get kind of close, but it still sounds very synthesizery, whereas the sounds in this video (to my ears) really sound like a piano- does anyone have tips for designing E-piano (Rhodes, Whurly) like sounds?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 06:26:40 AM by dmatts94 »

Re: Help Me Design A Realistic E-piano Sound? (audio sample video link)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 07:32:29 AM »
Wurlitzers are reeds so square waves work best. A bit of LFO to filter cutoff to mimic the tremolo.

My best Rhodes sounds use oscillator sync with the synced oscillator tuned up to get that characteristic major 10th (or 22nd) interval. Usually half key tracking. Quite short filter release and longer amp release to mimic the dampers closing.

I’ve found it tricky to get one patch that covers the whole range so I’ve done one that gets the bell-like upper tones and another that does the grunting lower notes and then combined them as a split patch.

Think I’ve usually done zero attack and fairly short decay with high sustain on the filter envelope. Filter on about 4 maybe. Low to medium envelope depth. Low to medium resonance.

Amp sustain at zero, zero attack, decay to taste for naturally struck and held key.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 08:31:28 AM »
I’m out of the country, away from my P5, but I’ve got a a really nice e. piano tone conjured on the synth. Not exactly Wurly or Rhodes, but a sexy, murky hybrid tone. If you’re still searching in a week, I can try and send the parameters via sysex or wot…

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 08:46:40 AM »
Your other option of course is to purchase that sound pack for $30, if you can spare that of course. That way you have the patches right there, and you can see exactly what the settings are, as well as supporting the person who’s put these patches together.