Prophet WallWort Transformer

Prophet WallWort Transformer
« on: April 19, 2024, 09:18:07 PM »
I have owned my P-12 module for nine years.  Has been wonderful and trouble free EXCEPT for one area - the transformer.  I am now on my third WallWort transformer. 

The symptoms are that the synth starts acting up and won't save correctly, sounds change, and the controls don't operate corrrectly.  It happens slowly over time.  Then suddenly, the machine will light up but the sounds will not boot. 

The transformer is designed for 13.5 volts.  This last go-around, I checked the voltage and the transformer was only putting out 9.8 volts.  I replaced it, and the synth started acting perfectly normal again.  The new transformer was putting out the spec 13.5 volts. 

My P-08 also has a WallWort and is supposed to operate at 15 volts.  While the synth was still operating well, I checked the transformer and it was only putting out 12.5 volts.  So, I replaced it as preventative maintenance.  The new transformer is putting out the spec 15 volts.

Bottom line, if your synth has a WallWort transformer, and it is starting to act up, first suspect the transformer.  They wear out!  Also, consider replacing your transformer every several years as preventative maintenance. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.