Panning Question - Headphone vs DAW

Panning Question - Headphone vs DAW
« on: February 15, 2024, 10:08:29 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm back with yet another newbie question.  I'm a bit confused about panning voices.

I've searched the forums and found great questions/answers to parts of this question, like how to pan etc. but i'm very confused about the following:

In the attached image > Voice A is panned hard left through Soundtower Editor via my DAW (motuM6) and appears to be left in the Rev2 Editor and Logic pro - all good

However, when I plug my headphones in, the audio is coming through my right headphone only

When I switch the cables around, the same happens as well.

For reference:
I have Rev2 left out to input 5 and Rev2 right out to input 6

Is there something I'm missing, like a setting I need to change or is my unit maybe messed up - sending to support as well but wanted to check here to see if this was a common issue or maybe I'm just not understanding panning ...

As always, thanks!
justin
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 10:35:25 AM by justincarter »

Re: Panning Question - Headphone vs DAW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 09:40:25 AM »
Preset F1P8 and F4P1 is done the same way, layer A to the left with DC as source, and layer B to right.

I looked in the generous gift to community from a guy and is a sticky with all factory presets listed with all parameters on top of forum. Very handy.

So turn off stack and listen to one layer at a time with toggle Edit B button.

So you can test if REV2 phones pan as program suggest, that negative goes to left.

There is also some video on youtube doing binaural preset on REV2 as I recall. There was DC source used to pan also. To learn more trix.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 10:56:59 AM »
Hey Autosynther -

thank you for the suggestion.  I had d/l ed this book but didn't think to do this.

Per your suggestion:

on F1 P8 I turned off stack on my unit and Layer A comes through the right headphone speaker but shows as Left in my DAW

and F4P1 did the same and the audio comes through the left on the daw / monitors and then the right on the headphones speaker.

I also tried another pair of headphones which gave the same result.

:( I hope this is fixable via settings or a firmware issue.  Still no response from Sequential but will update here once i hear back.

Thanks again for the suggestion re: the book.

justin

Preset F1P8 and F4P1 is done the same way, layer A to the left with DC as source, and layer B to right.

I looked in the generous gift to community from a guy and is a sticky with all factory presets listed with all parameters on top of forum. Very handy.

So turn off stack and listen to one layer at a time with toggle Edit B button.

So you can test if REV2 phones pan as program suggest, that negative goes to left.

There is also some video on youtube doing binaural preset on REV2 as I recall. There was DC source used to pan also. To learn more trix.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 11:53:42 AM »
I powered up the REV2 and tried.

I tested now, and phones out on REV2 have channels swapped.
- just swap you phones around on your head to get the same as on main/A out is marked
- I have not tried using out B at all so far, so both layers are on main/A only

DC -127 put on left channel main out with fixed pan mode, and +127 is right channel main out.
- I tried with Basic program also just modifying this a bit

Nice catch, but nothing you need firmware updates for. v1.2.1 is the last we will get.
- not even sure that is possible, but hard wired
- if vital maybe a service center will resolder phones connector for you

Don't worry, be happy....