Hello from newbie

Hello from newbie
« on: January 04, 2024, 08:49:18 AM »
Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself. New to the forum and new in a few other ways.

About me:
- Old enough to remember the green label spinning on the record player for Sgt. Peppers
- Musician since a kid, currently play bass, guitar, MPC Key 61, random synth and electronic gear
- The OB-6 desktop is arguable my first "serious" synth. Also own a Moog Mother 32.
- Novice at keys
- Familar with sound design concepts. To be very honest, haven't really spent time a ton of time on any sound design, and so far prefer to find presets and maybe tweak a bit from there.

Would appreciate any tips or encouragement in the first few weeks with the OB-6!

Thanks

Re: Hello from newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 09:09:41 AM »
Welcome! The Sequential forum is a great place to chat synths and get tips or troubleshoot. The noise to signal ratio is low here, with the mods handling issues well, and there are a number of Sequential employees chiming in from time to time. Sequential support is excellent and you’ll find many good people amongst the posters.

I’m not an OB owner, but couldn’t help respond seeing you reference Sgt. Pepper!

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 10:08:46 AM »
Welcome aboard Joegrant413. 

OB6 is great at pads and leads, but sometimes not represented enough is its ability to produce some really pretty stringy pluck sounds.  One of my favorite doodling's with the OB6  is just to clock sync your bucket delay to a tempo you like.  Set clock division value to a dotted note value instead of just quarter or half note.  Make sure delay sustain is not too long, maybe just 1 tap of repeat.     Play a simple sequence into sequencer.  Then play along some.   You can sync the LFO as well to clock and route that to resonance, amp, or whatever.  It's just an easy and fun to use delay.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 11:54:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Hey, this might a super-newbie question, but I have OB-xd on my iPhone. Do you find that having these apps on your phone helps you to find and create settings to use later with your real OB-6 when you get back to your music room/ studio?

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 08:58:03 AM »
Something else I feel I must say:

Having this synth is at a whole other level compared to other synth-y gear or software. I had reservations about spending this kind of money, especially with YouTubers I've trusted pointing out how far along VSTs like Softube Model 80 have come along.

I've also owned the following:
- Minibrute
- Microfreak
- Model D
- Mother 32
- Deepmind 12
- Tons of iOS apps
- Several MPC plugin, including Jura which is quite good

The OB-6 is just in a different class. With all respect to those who feel otherwise, it's feels silly to not tell the quality difference in the OB-6 and almost everything else I've owned.  It immediately feels great. And most of the presets I've tried sound awesome. Or are just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, had to offer my testimonial :)

P.S. (Model D and Mother 32 are great soundwise, but not in this class for overall product experience.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:00:18 AM by joegrant413 »

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 12:08:30 PM »
Joegrant413,  Glad you like the OB6.  It's tactile immediacy and easy to program layout are certainly strong points.    Your question about a phone app, I have to be honest, I struggle with typing tiny little FP message replies into my phone, so I cannot imagine trying to program a synth via a phone app.   So no inspiration there, but if I did try such an app it would probably scare me back to the hardware unit quicker ;D
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 02:53:23 PM »
Thanks, Soundquest!

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 02:56:29 PM »
Another newbie question.... can the OB-6 reasonably cover most classic synth sounds? I'm old, and Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk, Wakeman, Genesis are the sounds I'd like to try sometime. They don't have to sound the same, but still sound like a nice "cover" of great sounds like Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Yeah, I have the presets on Analog Lab. But if the OB-6 can do it well, the grin factor would be awesome.