Does P6 Require a MIDI Keyboard?

Does P6 Require a MIDI Keyboard?
« on: August 21, 2016, 05:09:02 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a Prophet 6 Desktop Module, and was wondering if it is possible to create a sequence without a MIDI keyboard? The P6 Desktop manual is the same as the keyboard manual, so I couldn't find an answer there. I watched several YouTube videos, but none of them demonstrate creating a sequence without a MIDI keyboard. I'd be grateful if someone could clarify.

Re: Does P6 Require a MIDI Keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a Prophet 6 Desktop Module, and was wondering if it is possible to create a sequence without a MIDI keyboard?

From what I've seen, the sequencer appears to record notes played on the keys in real time. So yes, I believe you would need something to send MIDI notes to the sequencer to be able to create a sequence.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
This is an excellent question - as a keyboard player, I never understood the appeal of being able to generate a sequence of "notes" without using a keyboard - however, given the possibility that one could use the sequence track to generate a random / repeating modulation pattern, and/or non-uniform pitch values (c.f. "notes"), a light has gone off in my head. (I'm a bit slow, sometimes.)

The DSI Evolvers could do this, and the Poly Evolver keyboard had sixteen rotaries to be able to accomplish this (as does my Waldorf Q, eight, doubled up as envelope / wavetable edit controls). The Pro-2 has a step-value knob for each of sixteen step buttons, which works almost as well.

The only downside to knob-based step entry is that, once you attach a MIDI keyboard controller, you'd need to address the issue of a root pitch note for transposition on-the-fly, if pitch even matters to you at this point....
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:33:08 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »
From what I've seen, the sequencer appears to record notes played on the keys in real time. So yes, I believe you would need something to send MIDI notes to the sequencer to be able to create a sequence.

OK, for me that means unplugging my MIDI keyboard from other gear and connecting it to P6 whenever I want to use it, which is slightly annoying. Then again, buying an inexpensive MIDI controller would be less than the difference in price between the desktop and keyboard versions of P6, so that might be the way to go.

Many thanks for your reply natrixgli.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »
This is an excellent question - as a keyboard player, I never understood the appeal of being able to generate a sequence of "notes" without using a keyboard - however, given the possibility that one could use the sequence track to generate a random / repeating modulation pattern, and/or non-uniform pitch values (c.f. "notes"), a light has gone off in my head. (I'm a bit slow, sometimes.)

The DSI Evolvers could do this, and the Poly Evolver keyboard had sixteen rotaries to be able to accomplish this (as does my Waldorf Q, eight, doubled up as envelope / wavetable edit controls). The Pro-2 has a step-value knob for each of sixteen step buttons, which works almost as well.

The only downside to knob-based step entry is that, once you attach a MIDI keyboard controller, you'd need to address the issue of a root pitch note for transposition on-the-fly, if pitch even matters to you at this point....

Many thanks for your reply David. Yes, it would be slightly inconvenient for me. I don't want to have to unplug my MIDI keyboard from other gear and connect it to the P6 whenever I want to use it - e.g. to change notes in the sequence. A second cheap MIDI keyboard might be the way to go - I'd prefer the Sequential P6 if I could afford it!

I was wondering, do you know if Soundtower provides a way of sending MIDI notes to the sequencer without the use of a MIDI keyboard?

Sky

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
Greetings, I hope this question is on-topic. Is the built-in P6 keyboard a true CV controller internally, with CV<>MIDI happening separately from the signal chain? If so, then I understand why external midi control would be different and possibly less integrated.

Sky

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 03:28:57 AM »
You could use an iOS device with the app MIDI Pad 2. You can send note messages (with velocity information if desired) from that app. Costs £3. You just need a camera connection kit and you can then plug into the P6 module’s USB port.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
Why doesn't he use a MIDI interface such as what MOTU makes?  http://motu.com/products/midi/micro_usb/midi.html

I have all my MIDI instruments interfaced this way.  I can chose which keyboard I want to act as a controller for any given module or other instrument.  For example, I usually use my S-90 as the controller for everything - from my ARP Odyssey to my DX-7 and P-12M.  However, I will sometimes use the Pro-2 as a controller for my P-12M.  No rewiring.  I just have it preset that way.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

ddp

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 12:44:02 AM »
 there is software that can control the p6 desktop: http://www.soundtower.com/prophet6.  you can load this in ableton.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

Kja

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 02:57:50 PM »
You can use the arp, it lets you choose the note sequence, it basically a ten step sequencer or however many you can press at once.