Prophet 10 rev 4

Prophet 10 rev 4
« on: February 14, 2023, 07:33:58 AM »
Is the prophet 10 rev4 considered the best analog offering that sequential offers? It certainly is the most expensive. I’ve read that people consider it to be the best analog poly  available today.  I choose the OBX8 over it  since I wanted stereo outs. Was interested in hearing what others that may have both the OBXA and the Prophet 10  think.  It seems that these two synths although different are competitive. It seems to me that thier the flagships  and that thier the most coveted.

Re: Prophet 10 rev 4
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 02:33:49 PM »
Is the prophet 10 rev4 considered the best analog offering that sequential offers? It certainly is the most expensive. I’ve read that people consider it to be the best analog poly  available today.  I choose the OBX8 over it  since I wanted stereo outs. Was interested in hearing what others that may have both the OBXA and the Prophet 10  think.  It seems that these two synths although different are competitive. It seems to me that thier the flagships  and that thier the most coveted.

First the Sequential line: If it’s old vintage sound, without any other expectations than what it is: An old synth, very limited features but THE SOUND than it is the best of their synths. If you expect something more modern with many features, effects, stereo outetc than I would say Trigon. But to me it’s just one synth that rules them all: The P5/10 rev 4.

I’ll guess you mean the OB-X8 vs P10? Many have them booth,  shelf included, and they are different beasts with differnt sound. The OB-X8 is FAT and the P5/10 is PUNCHY and exceptional good to stack with other instruments or synth overdubs without taking over the whole mix but easy to blend in to the mix.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 08:11:45 PM »
I see thanks for your perspective. I really like the way the prophet 10 looks and sounds. I thought the voyager and the pro3
were expensive. I purchased my voyager used and the pro3 new total for $ 200 more than the price of a new prophet 10.
I have a beer budget with champagne taste. I would think in time when the prophet10 is discontinued it will go up in price just like the Minimoog voyager and the Minimoog model D 2016 reissue.  Just to get even the prophet5 rev4 would be fantastic. If I hadn’t purchased the voyager used in 2015 like I did I wouldn’t be able to afford it now considering how they have increased in price although the market seems to fluctuate and there seems to be price gouging going on as well especially with reverb being one of the main culprits. I noticed there seems to be a lot of copycats when it comes to pricing
Which falsely inflated the market. The Minimoog 2016 RI was I believe $3500 dollars new originally and I saw some going as high as 7,000 used.  Moog realized the prices for the 2016 RI Minimoog used were high so they figured they could offer the current Minimoog RI at a lower price new than the used 2016 RI minimoogs. The Korg Arp600  suffered the same price gouging effect. I saw some of them as high as $11,000 dollars. Originally I believe they cost $3500 dollars and included
The road case as well. I wonder if the same thing will happen when the OBX8 is discontinued. I don’t think many of these
Synths even as great as they are worth the price of admission new or used. I used to sell grand pianos. Certain brands had
A mystique and that’s what sold them especially  Steinway. I think the same is true for synths as well. Brands like Moog ,Oberhiem,Sequential are the gold standard when it comes to analog. 

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 04:33:46 AM »
I do believe the Prophet rev 4, esp the Prophet 10 in PU2/Stacked mode, is the best sounding synth Sequential has *EVER* made.. including vintage P5's (that may have the edge here or there but not going into the the beautiful velocity filtered/poly unison/warmer bottom ended/mix match filtered/smooth but punchy sound of the Rev 4s).

OB-X8 and OB-6 also sound good, but something about the rev 4 prophets is indeed 'the synth to rule all synths' when talking about classic analog poly sound/feel/looks.

P.S you like to start a LOT of threads basically about the same subject don't you? :p
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 12:44:44 PM »
I do believe the Prophet rev 4, esp the Prophet 10 in PU2/Stacked mode, is the best sounding synth Sequential has *EVER* made.. including vintage P5's (that may have the edge here or there but not going into the the beautiful velocity filtered/poly unison/warmer bottom ended/mix match filtered/smooth but punchy sound of the Rev 4s).

OB-X8 and OB-6 also sound good, but something about the rev 4 prophets is indeed 'the synth to rule all synths' when talking about classic analog poly sound/feel/looks.

P.S you like to start a LOT of threads basically about the same subject don't you? :p

I agree in every way. Best synth ever.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 02:24:27 PM »
Is the prophet 10 rev4 considered the best analog offering that sequential offers? It certainly is the most expensive. I’ve read that people consider it to be the best analog poly  available today.

Considered by who? Which people? It’s a silly question really. What does best mean? Everyone will have different views.. I always say that the ‘best’ one is the one that inspires you the most, the one that brings something out of you.. but even that’s a one dimensional view truth be told.

g3o2

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 06:56:32 PM »
It’s a silly question really. What does best mean? Everyone will have different views..

Everyone will indeed have different views and Not Everyone will own a Prophet 8)