Prophet 6 vs Prophet REV 2 video

LoboLives

Prophet 6 vs Prophet REV 2 video
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:10:58 PM »
Really informative video

Sleep of Reason

Re: Prophet 6 vs Prophet REV 2 video
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »
No real surprise for me here as I've always felt the DCO vs VCO debate is overplayed. If it weren't for the many major technical issues I've experienced with my REV2, I'd say it's the no-brainer choice on the market.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 04:22:11 PM »
I'd like to point out some of your "technical issues" are actually feature requests. If you do have any unsolved operational bugs, I encourage you to report them to our dedicated support channel to ensure we have recorded them: support (at) davesmithinstruments.com

Thanks!
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »
Actually no, they're technical issues. I've had to replace the boards and I currently have an ongoing issue that I'm talking to support about. On top of that I have note drop outs on both the triangle and pulse in certain shape settings that I don't believe should be there despite being told it's normal. None of this has anything to do with feature requests that we've locked horns over.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »

Apologies if nothing you were referring to was a feature request, and also that you had to replace PCBs. That was an unfortunate manufacturing mishap early on which has been resolved.

I can't speak to the details of your support tickets, but if DSI tells you it's normal or within spec then for all intents and purposes, it is normal for that product. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but you can't call something a technical issue just because the answer doesn't conform to your opinion of how something should operate, even if another synth operates like you believe this one should.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »
I've tried asking if other users also have note drop outs on the triangle and pulse in certain shape settings, but have yet to get a straight answer. If you watch the video, towards the 33 minute mark he mentions having two faulty units and that note drop outs is one of the issues. I'm not sure if he's having this come up on all settings, but mine renders around 4-5% of the triangle and pulse waveshape widths unsuitable for use. Now if this is something that happens with everyone's REV2, I would say fine, no issue. Then my question would be, is there any technical reason why you can't cut out those percentages on the triangle and pulse via a software update? Perhaps this would also take away from the saws, which would be undesirable... However, if this is not happening for everyone, then it's an issue even if it isn't as major as the other two that I've dealt with.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 01:58:42 AM »
Really informative video

Oh! :( I went on to the post thinking it was going to be P6 versus Rev 2  Prophet-5! I should have noticed that you wrote REV 2 in CAPITALS! I get fooled every time!
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

Kja

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »
I've tried asking if other users also have note drop outs on the triangle and pulse in certain shape settings, but have yet to get a straight answer. If you watch the video, towards the 33 minute mark he mentions having two faulty units and that note drop outs is one of the issues. I'm not sure if he's having this come up on all settings, but mine renders around 4-5% of the triangle and pulse waveshape widths unsuitable for use. Now if this is something that happens with everyone's REV2, I would say fine, no issue. Then my question would be, is there any technical reason why you can't cut out those percentages on the triangle and pulse via a software update? Perhaps this would also take away from the saws, which would be undesirable... However, if this is not happening for everyone, then it's an issue even if it isn't as major as the other two that I've dealt with.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Your not talking about the true zero pulse width right? Some synths don't make sound at the extreme range of knob movement of the pulse width, that is supposed to happen.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:02:34 PM »
No, 0% shape mod setting on the pulse does in fact make sound on the REV2.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 02:35:06 AM »
I have watched a couple of videos which compare P6 against Rev2/P08 and based on these I think it is difficult to hear a consistent difference in sonic character. When the difference is obvious it seems to be because of slightly differences in cutoff frequency, resonance, loudness etc. However, knobs that do different things will of course give different results and the workflow difference seems to be huge. I think it is much easier to hear a consistent difference in sonic character between the P6 and OB6. The OB6 has a signature sound that I recognize.
I own the rev2 and hear a lot of people saying that both the P6 and OB6 would be a good complement. Generally I think I like the P6 best, but it would perhaps be wasted money to buy something that sounds almost identical if this is the case. Do any of you own (or have played) both the Rev2, P6 and OB6 and can tell me whether the sound of rev2 is much closer to the P6 than the ob6? And is it true that simple patches will sound noticeable thicker with p6/ob6 than the rev2? Any advice is appreciated.