Rev 2 - dual layer panned delays

LPF83

Rev 2 - dual layer panned delays
« on: November 11, 2021, 05:44:33 PM »
If I have two layers, A panned left with B panned right (via DC offset in mod matrix), is it possible for the delayed signal for each layer to stay on the layer channel only, or is that a limitation of the signal path design?

I can do this on the P12, the pan setting on each delay line makes it easy.  The delay FX on the Rev2 aren't quite as granular but I thought maybe there's a way to do it I'm missing.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Rev 2 - dual layer panned delays
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 03:41:37 AM »
I think the reason that no one answers is that your question is unclear. It is at least to me. Among other things, I do not understand what you mean with "layered signal".
Edit: another read helped, sorry. So, you want the delay effect stay panned on the side where the voice started. Pretty sure stereo delay should do this.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 03:44:46 AM by skipgilles »

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 04:44:34 AM »
I think the reason that no one answers is that your question is unclear. It is at least to me. Among other things, I do not understand what you mean with "layered signal".
Edit: another read helped, sorry. So, you want the delay effect stay panned on the side where the voice started. Pretty sure stereo delay should do this.

To clarify the steps a bit better:   Pan layer A completely to left, and pan layer B to right by setting pan mode for each layer to Fixed, and in the mod matrix use DC as source and Pan as destination, with values -127 for layer A and 127 for layer B.  For each layer, regardless of Mono or Stereo Delay effect chosen, enabling FX for the layer and increasing Mix results in sound both left and right.  I'm wondering if there's a way (as you stated) to keep all sound for a layer on the panned side.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

maxter

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 03:50:38 AM »
Not possible without some hassle...

The "stereo delay" is set to cross-feedback between the channels, so any hard panned signal will have the first delay repeat on the opposite side, and then it will "ping-pong" between the channels. I wouldn't call it a ping-pong delay though, as it's stereo, but it's strictly cross-feedback.

A workaround is possible, but not "on the fly" by just switching patch. You could connect both stereo outputs, and hard pan the parts on a mixer or DAW for instance (à la The Musical Synthesizer/Sacred Synthesis ;) ) Probably the best solution.

Or you could hardpan the layers, connect both stereo outputs, and instead use just one output channel from each. But this would make every other repeat "vanish" on each layer, effectively doubling whatever delay time you have set.
The Way the Truth and the Life

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 04:14:53 AM »
Not possible without some hassle...

The "stereo delay" is set to cross-feedback between the channels, so any hard panned signal will have the first delay repeat on the opposite side, and then it will "ping-pong" between the channels. I wouldn't call it a ping-pong delay though, as it's stereo, but it's strictly cross-feedback.

A workaround is possible, but not "on the fly" by just switching patch. You could connect both stereo outputs, and hard pan the parts on a mixer or DAW for instance (à la The Musical Synthesizer/Sacred Synthesis ;) ) Probably the best solution.

Or you could hardpan the layers, connect both stereo outputs, and instead use just one output channel from each. But this would make every other repeat "vanish" on each layer, effectively doubling whatever delay time you have set.

I figured it was probably just a limitation of the signal flow (assuming the flow diagram is what I'm envisioning).  In terms of workarounds, I did consider using both stereo outs as an option -- I was using both at one time, but as I started getting back into hardware, interface inputs started to become kind of a precious commodity so I decided to limit the Rev2 to only using the main outs.  I wasn't sure if there was maybe a hidden shortcut that could achieve this... but I suppose the delay configuration would need to be something similar to the P12 to do it in the way I was hoping.