Take 5 USB MIDI troubles

Take 5 USB MIDI troubles
« on: November 05, 2021, 03:34:31 AM »
Hi!

First post and short time lurker here.

I have a recently purchased Take 5 that I love the sound of. However, I have trouble connecting it to a computer using USB. MIDI DIN works fine.

I have reset globals and then set MIDI control on, MIDI syx on, MIDI syx cable USB and all remotely relevant parameters to on or USB or all or whatever. I have tried multible USB cables, all of which work flawlessly with other gear such as a Deepmind 12, MS-20 mini, Viscount Legend solo, Dreadbox Erebus etc etc. My main computer is a Mac Mini M1, but I also tried my old Macbook pro from 2013 to no avail. I have no other choice but to conclude that somehow the USB functionality is somehow broken in my synth.

Any tips?

gus

Re: Take 5 USB MIDI troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
Hi evergud,

If you're still having issues, go ahead and send a message directly to support@sequential.com and we can get this resolved for you.

For troubleshooting general USB issues, always connect directly to your computer (no hubs or adaptors) and see if the connection is detected in System Information (Mac) or Device Manager (PC). Sweetwater has a really helpful, thorough guide for this that I'll link to below:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/resolving-midi-device-issues-on-pc-and-mac/
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 12:10:11 PM »
Hi!

First post and short time lurker here.

I have a recently purchased Take 5 that I love the sound of. However, I have trouble connecting it to a computer using USB. MIDI DIN works fine.

I have reset globals and then set MIDI control on, MIDI syx on, MIDI syx cable USB and all remotely relevant parameters to on or USB or all or whatever. I have tried multible USB cables, all of which work flawlessly with other gear such as a Deepmind 12, MS-20 mini, Viscount Legend solo, Dreadbox Erebus etc etc. My main computer is a Mac Mini M1, but I also tried my old Macbook pro from 2013 to no avail. I have no other choice but to conclude that somehow the USB functionality is somehow broken in my synth.

Any tips?

Hi, I had the same problem with it not being recognised by Logic, I solved it by unplugging the USB from the USB hub and plugging it back in again while in Logic.Then it worked fine, but it seems strange to have to do this everytime. My other hardware, eg Elektron, don’t need to do that. Maybe worth trying.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 01:35:25 PM »
I have contacted support and they suggest that the motherboard is faulty. I will get a replacement motherboard.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 02:12:30 AM »
Just to close this topic: I got a new board, installed it and tested it, all in the course of half an hour and now the synth works flawlessly. Thank you for the great customer support, Sequential!.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 04:15:51 PM »
Just to close this topic: I got a new board, installed it and tested it, all in the course of half an hour and now the synth works flawlessly. Thank you for the great customer support, Sequential!.

I've experienced the same USB issue and have just received (UK location) and fitted a new main board. Not sure what's causing these USB issues but Sequential support and response to the problem is first class.

xoxo

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 06:24:09 AM »
i had the same problem with usb into MacBook Pro 16 (USB3)
it didn't work with an usbC to A adapter.
I remembered that some equipment have problems with USB 3 so I put an USB Hub with USB2 ports in between and that worked fine for me.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 03:13:15 PM »
One thing I've noticed in V2.0 is there are no MIDI thru controls in the Globals and I think a lot of MIDI problems are originating from being unable to process a Soft Thru in USB mode.

MIDI thru should be supported.  There's a blooming DIN connector for it.  My problems started with updating from 1.2 to 2.0.0

We need a fix and we need it fast!!!

Gary

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 12:13:41 AM »
same here // i connected the synth 1 time via usb..i made SysEx Librarian connection , backup sounds and upgrade to 2.0.   .. decided to use the take 5 as main controller synth in the studio but usb connection failed .tested all global settings. next week after tryouts i took it back to the store to compare settings with other take 5 and all was the same, result in store that one synth connect to ableton or other software but mine not .. shop decide to send it back for repair .. now 6 weeks later..sad..