Feature Request: Prophet 6 deeper Poly-Mod

Feature Request: Prophet 6 deeper Poly-Mod
« on: December 18, 2020, 12:11:58 PM »
As a long time Pro One owner I have been aware that my Prophet 6 poly-mod is more or less 1/2 half the depth of the original design. It would be great to get that extra 50% and get more aggressive with sound design. Alongside a proper Vintage knob update, perhaps the Super Plate Algorithm, it would make this synth really reach its potential as a synth. Why not?

Elektron, Novation and Roland updates of recent years have been real game changers, many free and some for purchase, and sometimes for 10+ year old instruments....

Sequential Prophet 10, Dave Smith Oberheim Ob-6, Dave Smith Prophet '08

Re: Feature Request: Prophet 6 deeper Poly-Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 12:30:24 PM »
Um, it's actually the opposite. To quote Carson from the Gearslutz thread on the Prophet-6:

"The Prophet 5's max modulation depth of the filter via polymod is equivalent to about a fifth of the Prophet 6's positive modulation knob range."

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 02:43:35 PM »
At 30/31 minutes there is a good demo of what I'm referring to:

I'd have to double check my 6 and Pro One again specifically about the filter. If I'm wrong about the depth, totally possible. I have not compared in a year or two directly but will this weekend. Maybe it is a pro one thing (have spent lots of time with the Prophet 3.3), or the actual oscillator shapes themselves from the chip design. I feel confident to say it sounds a fair bit tamer on my 6.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:56:52 PM by fixture »
Sequential Prophet 10, Dave Smith Oberheim Ob-6, Dave Smith Prophet '08

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 06:07:28 PM »
Maybe it could be a simple hardware diy mod?

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 04:13:26 PM »
I never was a fan of the idea that every synth should be able to do everything else another synth does, and therefore only one generic do-everything synth needs to exist.

The limitations and quirks of an instrument are what give that instrument its character and are its greatest distinguishing feature.  Make music with the instrument, then cherish the moments you find in explaining why your track sounds the way it does.  It keeps music interesting.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC