Tuning /calibration

Re: Tuning /calibration
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »
Hi guys,
I've got exactly the same problem. I've calibrated my synth many times but after a while I start getting this tune drift which makes the synth useless ... I recalibrate, it works for a while 5-10 minutes... then it starts again. Here's an example:

https://soundcloud.com/mjukost-1/weird
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:38:31 PM by valsolo »

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »
Hi guys,
I've got exactly the same problem. I've calibrated my synth many times but after a while I start getting this tune drift which makes the synth useless ... I recalibrate, it works for a while 5-10 minutes... then it starts again. Here's an example:

Hi Valsolo. Please see the previous posts in this thread from other DSI staff regarding calibration.
SEQUENTIAL

Jdoo

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:40 PM »
Hi guys,

Something you can do, is check, and write down the internal temperature of your OB when it's drifted out of tune.  It would give you a data point, if you think it's not holding tune at the same temps...

What’s the OB’s current internal temperature?
Hold the "transpose" buttons and press the "3" button.   
If you have the desktop module, to display the internal temperature, press the "hold" and "portamento" buttons and press number 3.
Clear Internal Temperature Tables? (careful!)
   [MANUAL] + 3
Again- be careful doing this, as it will (may?) reset the internal calibration tables, and your OB will need to relearn temperature variations.   This last tip... I haven't done... for fear of whacking something out of kilter on my OB desktop.  Proceed at your own risk...

I'm a horder.. when it comes to tips/BKMs...

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
I have run the calibration several times - my room temp stays very consistent.  No problems - all works well.

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »
Valsolo: I have exactly the same issue with mine. I had it for two month's and I cant get it to stay in tune for more than a few minutes until I have to recalibrate. Done at least 200+ calibrations at different temperatures.

Been in contact with DSI support that kindly ask me to do further calibrations to solve the problem, meaning the instrument is somewhere in between two temperature tables and therefore "jumps" up and down in tuning.

I'm thinking of returning the instrument cause it is useless, cant even record a 5 min track without out of tune, and for live use.... forget it!

Have a few other VCO instruments in the same room without auto tuning, and temperature calibrations and such bells and whistles, and they stay perfectly in tune.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 06:48:55 AM »
Yes you should absolutely return it if you keep having such issues and its useless to you.

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 07:16:17 AM »
Have my OB6 about three weeks now.  I've run the calibration as described in manual quite a few times over the last three weeks to give a sampling of room temperatures.  My room doesn't vary widely,  but after each power up/ warm up, I'm way out of tune.  The quick and simple calibration procedure resolves this for me, but seems like I should be past this phase of calibrating every time I switch on.
Anyone else?

Wow. Some of the problems on this thread sound a little scary! I have a Prophet-6 and have not had this extent of problems. I've never actually played it with another synth so I should perhaps check that it's in tune with them!

I do however seem to have one voice that gets a little off compared to the others. I think it is one voice. However sometimes, it could be that this voice may be responsible for the real "sweetness" of the sound and some other wonderful quirks that I hear now and then that make me glad that I have a real analogue synthesizer.

I'm going to check my P6 against another synth. A digital one. They're useful for something!  ;)
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »
Just a heads up/follow up about tuning and temperatures. For months I had to wait for my OB6 to be warm-up to be stable, and even then after a while it would go out of tune. Not anymore. Because after clearing the temperatures reference table, and doing about a dozen calibrations as soon as it was out-of-tune, my OB6 is now flawless without the need for any further calibrations. It's in tune instantly, from cold to warm to hot transparently.
So if you have an OB6 that gets out-of-tune after a while, or is not in tune when powering it up, and you've already done many calibration calls to no avail, maybe clearing the temp table might be a solution. It was for me.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:11 PM »
I got mine at the beginning of 2018. It took a while but settled down. I still occasionally notice a slow beat frequency when I first set up a new voice...very noticeable with two sawtooth waves in OSC1 and OSC2. A recal fixes it immediately.
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 08:08:15 PM »
I had to erase the calibration table on mine when I first got it, even after a couple weeks of frequent recals it was still off more than I wanted each time I powered it on.  After clearing the tables and doing a few more recals, it's been fine ever since.

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 12:15:47 AM »
Is [Module+3] the same Key Combi on the Desktop Module as well to clear the calibration table? I pressed it and already calibrated during the past couple of days at least two or three dozen times but i keep having Tuning issues.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 12:22:03 AM by pulsn »

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
Is [Module+3] the same Key Combi on the Desktop Module as well to clear the calibration table? I pressed it and already calibrated during the past couple of days at least two or three dozen times but i keep having Tuning issues.

Yes, Manual+3. You will get no feedback.
Before recalibrate, you can check the actual temperature by pressing Hold+Portamento+3. You will need to do recalibration on different temperatures. For example doing several recalibrations at one particular temperature will make no sense.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2021, 10:56:34 AM »
Just a heads up/follow up about tuning and temperatures. For months I had to wait for my OB6 to be warm-up to be stable, and even then after a while it would go out of tune. Not anymore. Because after clearing the temperatures reference table, and doing about a dozen calibrations as soon as it was out-of-tune, my OB6 is now flawless without the need for any further calibrations. It's in tune instantly, from cold to warm to hot transparently.
So if you have an OB6 that gets out-of-tune after a while, or is not in tune when powering it up, and you've already done many calibration calls to no avail, maybe clearing the temp table might be a solution. It was for me.

I went for years like this.  It wasn't a big problem, but a problem that was noticeable as I always needed it to warm up.   But when I updated OS last month I decided to give this "clearing the table" a try.    I entered like 12 new calibrations at 12 different temps and the instrument is spot on ever since.    I would recommend this for any new owner.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1