REV 2 in Multi mode

REV 2 in Multi mode
« on: October 12, 2020, 10:49:15 PM »
Hi guys,
I am struggling to control my Rev 2 in multi mode.
Running Cubase.
In global settings, multi mode is turned on.
MIDI channel is either set to 1 or all.
So, two separate MIDI tracks should control two separate patches.
However, while first one is responding to midi from channel 1, i cannot program change the second one.
Can someone who uses multi mode extensively explain how they re routing MIDI (i have 2 separate outputs in my mixer and effects ready for two patches, i just cant trigger the second one.

LPF83

Re: REV 2 in Multi mode
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 08:39:58 AM »
Hi guys,
Running Cubase.
However, while first one is responding to midi from channel 1, i cannot program change the second one.
Can someone who uses multi mode extensively explain how they re routing MIDI (i have 2 separate outputs in my mixer and effects ready for two patches, i just cant trigger the second one.

I'm not using it this way currently but I have quite a bit in the past.  When I do, I just have two MIDI tracks on two separate channels (layer B always goes to layer A channel + 1).  Usually I would select / work on a patch on layer A then copy it to B, and move another patch into A.  I'm not sure if you're saying you want to program change layer B from Cubase?  If so, I've never tried to do that, I always do patch selection on the synth.

Juggling which patch you're on, plus stack on/off, plus monitor/arm track on/off in Cubase is a workflow that takes a bit of getting used to.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 08:42:55 AM »
Hi guys,
Running Cubase.

I'm not using it this way currently but I have quite a bit in the past.  When I do, I just have two MIDI tracks on two separate channels (layer B always goes to layer A channel + 1).  Usually I would select / work on a patch on layer A then copy it to B, and move another patch into A.  I'm not sure if you're saying you want to program change layer B from Cubase?  If so, I've never tried to do that, I always do patch selection on the synth.

Juggling which patch you're on, plus stack on/off, plus monitor/arm track on/off in Cubase is a workflow that takes a bit of getting used to.
Cheers for the reply
i guess i dont need to send program change, just trying to figure out why is track 2 always controlling "blank patch" - so i need to load another layer manually on the synth. so if i have patch in the same bank in preset slots 120 and 121, i need layer a to be 120 and layer b 121, right? Midi set to channel 1, track will control layer A and midi channel 2 will control layer B.

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 04:24:51 PM »
Hi guys,
Running Cubase.

Cheers for the reply
i guess i dont need to send program change, just trying to figure out why is track 2 always controlling "blank patch" - so i need to load another layer manually on the synth. so if i have patch in the same bank in preset slots 120 and 121, i need layer a to be 120 and layer b 121, right? Midi set to channel 1, track will control layer A and midi channel 2 will control layer B.

Hopefully I'm understanding your question, but the relationship between the preset slot (or program number) and the layer is not as I think you're envisioning.

Each preset slot has an A or B layer.  So if you select factory bank 1, program 2 (F1 P2) for example you'll see the A layer which is called "All That Glitter".  This will also apply to the User editable bank version (U1 P2) if you have not already started changing the sounds in the user banks.  Press the Edit Layer B button and you'll see "All That Glitter B".   Switch back and forth between the two layers for various programs and pay attention to the subtle differences of the lights on the keyboard.   A lot of times the B layer is some variation of the A...  maybe it's an arpeggiated version of A, or maybe the two layers are panning left and right, or one layer is tuned or modulating differently (or all of the above).   Sometimes they will be completely different patches and be split instead of stacked, such as a bass sound on the left half of the keyboard and a strings sound on the right.  If you don't want both layers, disable stack or split and choose between A or B using the button.  Or you can set the program volume for a particular layer.   But notice the layers have nothing to do with which patch you are on.   You can edit the patches and put any sound you want on any layer... You can copy the sound that's on U1 P20 layer A and put it on U1 P2 layer B and rename it to something else, tweak it, etc, and in doing so you are still working with preset U1 P2.

About multi-mode.... This is just whether you want the two layers mentioned above to function on different (consecutive) MIDI channels.  For me this is always channel 3 and 4 but that's just because I set the global channel to 3 on the Rev2 and by design than means channel 3 = A and channel 4 = B.

So when you set up two separate tracks for the two MIDI channels in Cubase, you are effectively just telling the Rev2 to treat the two layers like separate synths.

What might be helpful as you're getting the synths is to just put a set of headphones in to the Rev2, and get the hang of manipulating layers to your liking.  Because once you enter the DAW into the equation, you have a few more things to be aware of (like where the track is sending MIDI, whether Local Mode is on or Off, whether the track is armed or monitored, or selected,  etc.) and when dealing with multi-timbral layers it helps to eliminate all the possible variables that can affect its behavior.  Also remember that if you have audio cables plugged into B, you have to pay attention to the audio track that corresponds to the output from B.

During the first couple of weeks with my Rev 2, there were times I thought I was encountering bugs, when really it was mostly the interaction with the DAW and teething pains.  Simpler synths like the Prophet 6 and OB-6 are simpler beasts in that regard.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC