Thinking of buying a Rev 2 but..Tony Banks/Prophet 5

Thinking of buying a Rev 2 but..Tony Banks/Prophet 5
« on: November 18, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
Is it possible to obtain the old Prophet 5 Soundbanks/patches on the Rev 2 just like the 06 does??
I am considering buying a Rev 2 but I also want to replicate those old Prophet sounds from Tony Banks such as:

Abacab Organ
Dodo String and Distorted Synth with MXR Distortion effect
Man On The Corner (In The Air type) Pad plus Dirty Resonate Synth that's layered plus Sweeped Filter during the bridge.
Detuned Pad during Keep It Dark
Hammond Organ that he used live during In The Cage, Supper's Ready, It's Gonna Get Better, Afterglow with MXR Phase effect
Fat String synth during the bridge in Mama
Accompaniment pad during Home By The Sea

Besides the Genesis stuff I would really love to get my hands on one of these just for composing but I would like the best of both worlds. Almost finished paying off my Yamaha CP88 so now I want to add a new synth to my setup.
If anyone can shed some light on how to get these sounds on the Rev 2 or any other advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

CPN37

Re: Thinking of buying a Rev 2 but..Tony Banks/Prophet 5
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 02:15:58 AM »
Hi,

I successfully programmed the ABACAB organ and the Man On The Corner/In The Air Tonight sounds so I think the REV2 is more than capable of doing what you want.

Away from my house at the moment but I’ll try and get a demo uploaded just so you can hear for yourself.

Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 01:10:21 PM »
Thank you so much. Look forward to hearing your demos.

CPN37

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 03:33:43 AM »
Here's a link to me playing (badly!) some Genesis keyboard parts.
All recorded with the Rev2, onboard fx only where used, nothing external. Not that it sounds like it anyway haha, it's all fairly basic stuff in comparison with patches these days!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17fv31VWEtc33X8QdS3SOyqA05R4T6Knf

So from memory I'm demonstrating my Rev2 patches for:

- ABACAB organ
- Mama mid section chords
- Man On The Corner Prophet 5 chords
- Three Sides Live ARP Quadra lead sound (In The Cage)
- Colony of Slippermen ARP Pro Soloist Steel Guitar
- Firth Of Fifth / Battle Of Epping Forest ARP Pro Soloist Trumpet
- ARP Pro Soloist Fuzz Guitar 1 (In The Cage) - this is by far the most difficult sound to programme and get to sound like the Pro Soloist so it's the least successful but hey!

Hope this helps you make your mind up anyway.
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 04:23:41 AM »
Thank you so much.
I will be putting a deposit down on a Rev 2 next week. You just convinced me. Sounds incredible and you did a spot on job with those sounds. I don't suppose you could email me those settings??
Being a huge TB fan I would truly appreciate it and if I could send you a beer through email I would...lol
Cheers
88fingersd@gmail.com

CPN37

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 04:31:10 AM »
Hi Dukerbud,

Sure no problem! I’ll email you a SysEx file- out and about again but I’ll get it to you by the time you get your Rev2 anyway.

Just remembered I forgot to do the layer for Man On The Corner, suffice to say you can easily add that extra synth layer there too.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 04:43:04 AM »
You're awesome. Yes I was wondering abut that layering part.
If you have any guidance or pointers to get that Dodo sound from Three Sides live I would appreciate as well.
Talk soon

CPN37

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 04:50:55 AM »
I haven’t tried to programme the Dodo sound but I’ll have a go. From memory the recorded version sounds like he maybe used the same Prophet organ sound but with distortion for the verse part, I’ll try that anyway.

But yeah, there’s no reason why the Rev2 shouldn’t be able to get something very close to those sounds as I don’t think Tony was using any feature of the Prophet 5 (or 10) that isn’t on the Rev2, for the most part he’s using your basic oscillators/filter/envelope with a bit of LFO, nothing more austere really!

I’d love to be able to do with the Rev2 what he did with the Prophet 5 for Who Dunnit though- it seems I can’t get the Rev2 to change through patches that quickly whilst playing (which is what Tony was doing, a different patch per note, and Brian Eno for that matter too on My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts I think)

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 04:56:41 AM »
I think Who Dunnit would definitely be the holy grail. If memory serves me there's a very tiny quick shot of Tony playing it as minor guide but the problem is the lighting above (or lack of) darkens the shot. Wish they had a Tony cam back in the day...LOL

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 03:18:39 PM »
Amazing how the REV2 can sound like an Arp Pro Soloist. You did a good job. Are you using one oscillator for those?

CPN37

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 11:40:11 PM »
Thanks, yes just one oscillator like the Pro Soloist. I have a Pro Soloist so was able to do a side by side comparison to get them as close as I could. The trumpet sound is pretty indistinguishable however the more pulse width-y type sounds aren’t quite so close but you could still get away with them at an emergency Genesis tribute gig! That’s more a reflection of the complexity of the ARP presets than a failing of the Rev2, it definitely does the best job of any synth I’ve owned anyway.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
Very nice job on the Prophet 5 emulation sounds too. Having the Curtis filter is a help there I'm sure. I am in a Genesis trib band, and would love to get the Seconds Out Arp PS trumpet preset sound for Firth of Fifth you created if you are willing to share. Thanks...

CPN37

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »
Hey of course, I’ll email you a SysEx file if you like. I went to see G2 last week, I don’t suppose you’re in that one? :D

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »
I just posted a friend of mine named Sue who was in an old Genesis tribute Over The Garden Wall. Check her out...this was back in the late 80's early 90's mind you.With all the Genesis tributes that are out there I applaud all of them but I don't think no tribute band will excel this one from the 80's/early 90's. I remember seeing them first at Mohawk College and the old downstairs Olivers in Hamilton Ontario and then two gigs in Mississauga and Toronto thereafter.
Amazing memories.
Many of you keyboard players out there could learn off of Sue as she is such an amazing talent and she programmed all of those sounds on that Jupiter 6 and Korg 01/W if memory serves me.
Sad that Over The Garden Wall are no longer but my memories or this band are always positive and maybe the Musical Box is a close contender....just different ....but to me this is how it's done.
this was a time when prog music in Ontario was fab/fad and now it seems only the UK and Germany appreciate great music these days.
Sadly, I never got to see them do this number but this truly brought a tear to my eye.
She is a total prog freak. God Luv Her!

CPN37

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 02:36:25 AM »
Wow she sounds exactly like Kate Bush

CPN37

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »
Hey Dukerbud & Logic Song, those programs should be with you now. Have fun!

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2019, 03:14:49 PM »
Awesome I can't thank you enough for these sounds! My band is No Camouflage from Rochester, NY. We were around in the 90s but split up in 95 and have been asked to do a few reunions and now we are getting together a mini tour.... and yes I have seen OTGW here in Rochester and was blown away. Have a peaceful Holiday season.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »
Impressive.  Many moons ago, I listened to that music day and night.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 04:32:47 AM »
Hey of course, I’ll email you a SysEx file if you like. I went to see G2 last week, I don’t suppose you’re in that one? :D

Sounds amazing.  Nice work!

Can you post it up here?

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 06:56:27 AM »
Here's a link to me playing (badly!) some Genesis keyboard parts.
All recorded with the Rev2, onboard fx only where used, nothing external. Not that it sounds like it anyway haha, it's all fairly basic stuff in comparison with patches these days!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17fv31VWEtc33X8QdS3SOyqA05R4T6Knf

So from memory I'm demonstrating my Rev2 patches for:

- ABACAB organ
- Mama mid section chords
- Man On The Corner Prophet 5 chords
- Three Sides Live ARP Quadra lead sound (In The Cage)
- Colony of Slippermen ARP Pro Soloist Steel Guitar
- Firth Of Fifth / Battle Of Epping Forest ARP Pro Soloist Trumpet
- ARP Pro Soloist Fuzz Guitar 1 (In The Cage) - this is by far the most difficult sound to programme and get to sound like the Pro Soloist so it's the least successful but hey!

Hope this helps you make your mind up anyway.
Hello, it's been a while and I hope you're doing well out there.
Is there any way you can re-post your sound demos for your Genesis patches?? Your google link doesn't work anymore.
Also, I don't suppose you created the brassy (second layer) to Man On the Corner?
Thanking you in advance.