Is this a fault or just me?

Is this a fault or just me?
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:34:31 PM »
Hello, I bought my Rev 2 two years ago, and upgraded it to 16 voices last week. I have not had time to play with it really, until now. (long story)

I have only now noticed something, which may be a fault, or my inexperience ~ so please forgive.

Problem:

Select for example, F1-P35 (Classic Brass) - and play some regular, individual 1/16th notes...(at about 160 bpm)

Only 8 out of the first 16 notes will sound.

Why is this? This is happening on a few of the presets, and the problem GOES AWAY when I press UNISON. All notes will sound for as long as I am playing them. Switch unison off, and the problem comes back.

Is this related to the ADSR or what? Its frequency does not change with fiddling with clock settings. It seems locked at about 6 seconds working, 6 seconds not working.

The same fault applies to F1-P73 , or for example F2-P19 when UNISON is switched off.

Thanks for any advice. This beast is new to me.

Cheers!

Re: Is this a fault or just me?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 04:59:28 AM »
Does it do this on an initialised poly patch too?

Could it be that the upgrade card isn’t pressed in fully? Or that it is defective?

Sounds like the new 8 voices aren’t triggering. Unison would mask this (unless your ear is able to tell whether 8 or 16 voices are sounding in a single note; and with DCOs they’ll all be dead in tune with each other so difficult to discern).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:01:40 AM by Quatschmacher »

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 05:47:51 AM »

Could it be that the upgrade card isn’t pressed in fully? Or that it is defective?

Sounds like the new 8 voices aren’t triggering. Unison would mask this (unless your ear is able to tell whether 8 or 16 voices are sounding in a single note; and with DCOs they’ll all be dead in tune with each other so difficult to discern).

yes its doing it with an initialised patch too - ill take the card out and test it and try again. Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »

I reinstalled the card and its working! Can't understand the difference in the way the card was set up because all the connectors were def engaged... ANYHOO! Thanks so much for the advice.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 06:00:33 PM »

I reinstalled the card and its working! Can't understand the difference in the way the card was set up because all the connectors were def engaged... ANYHOO! Thanks so much for the advice.

I was able to duplicate this behavior (which I assume is by design even if the manual doesn't explain what's going on very well):
I normally run in multi mode, using it as two 8 voice synths.  I am using both pairs of outputs for separate A and B tracks in Cubase - and I have two midi channels set up in Cubase each for the A and B layer. 

Using the same patch you mentioned, if I turn multi mode off, and then "unmonitor" the audio on the B layer in my DAW, I get the same behavior you've described; it plays the first 8 voices and the next 8 voices are silent.  Now if I enable the audio for the B layer I can hear all 16 voices. 

So if I had to guess I'd say there was probably nothing wrong with your initial installation of the new board, maybe somewhere along the way you changed the multi mode setting as part of the second install (or re-enabled audio for B in your DAW)?

I haven't quite wrapped my head around why multi mode off means "send half the voices to the B outputs", but it's possible I've over looked how multi mode works in conjunction with some other setting.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:02:13 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 11:10:20 PM »
The 8 voice board sends half of it voices to output A and the others to B. If you don’t connect a plug to B, those 4 voiced get merged with the first 4 into output A. Regardless whether you use multi, no multi, stack or split. It is hardwired. Same for the expansion board. The first 4 go to A, the others to B, unless you don’t plug anything in the B output.

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 04:48:07 AM »
The 8 voice board sends half of it voices to output A and the others to B. If you don’t connect a plug to B, those 4 voiced get merged with the first 4 into output A. Regardless whether you use multi, no multi, stack or split. It is hardwired. Same for the expansion board. The first 4 go to A, the others to B, unless you don’t plug anything in the B output.

Not sure if you meant to say the first 4 go to A in your last sentence above, or 8?  On the 16 voice version, I'm seeing the first 8 go to A and the next 8 to B, similar to the OP.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 08:23:34 AM »

Not sure if you meant to say the first 4 go to A in your last sentence above, or 8?  On the 16 voice version, I'm seeing the first 8 go to A and the next 8 to B, similar to the OP.

Yes, the first 4. The expansion is exactly the same as the primary board. first 4 go to A, seconds 5 go to B. So your observation is correct; with 16 voices, the first 8 to to A.

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 06:51:46 PM »

Yes, the first 4. The expansion is exactly the same as the primary board. first 4 go to A, seconds 5 go to B. So your observation is correct; with 16 voices, the first 8 to to A.

Can you imagine the modulation possibilities if they released one simple update that allowed sending of alternate voices to each output (odd numbered voices to A, even numbered to B)?   We could have seperate outboard effects or DAW mixer track differences for A and B, making for some really amazing shit.