PX Locking up with Logic Pro.

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
PX Locking up with Logic Pro.
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:31:37 PM »
Has anyone had issue with their PX locking up when used over MIDI (USB) with Logic Pro?  I've got it set up with USB with the following settings:

3. MIDI Channel 1

6. MIDI Param Send - NRPN
7. MIDI Param Receive - NRPN
8. MIDI Control - On
9. MIDI Program Enable - On
10. MIDI SYSEX Cable - USB
11. MIDI Out Select - USB
12. MIDI Program Send - ON
15. Local Off ALL

I'm using the latest BETA and I can play the Synth from the PX itself or from another Synth, but when I chenge patch, after a few changes the PX locks up and doesn't respond.  I suspect it might be Logic causing an issue, but I had to have the board changed on my PX and have been using it stand alone and only now have set it up with Logic. 

Any tips?
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
Re: PX Locking up with Logic Pro.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Has anyone had issue with their PX locking up when used over MIDI (USB) with Logic Pro?  I've got it set up with USB with the following settings:

3. MIDI Channel 1

8. MIDI Control - On
15. Local Off ALL

I'm using the latest BETA and I can play the Synth from the PX itself or from another Synth, but when I chenge patch, after a few changes the PX locks up and doesn't respond.  I suspect it might be Logic causing an issue, but I had to have the board changed on my PX and have been using it stand alone and only now have set it up with Logic. 

Any tips?
Well, after messing about, if I change from NRPN to CC's it doesn't lock up, but then I have to change it to Local On when I want to program it, bit of a pain.
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 05:36:00 PM »
It's definitely worth reporting to Sequential support to let them know.  I haven't had problems with Logic previously and had been leaving MIDI Param Send / Receive in NRPN mode (until recently when I wanted to deliberately avoid sending front panel control changes, and was quite surprised to discover that it also stops sending pedal information!)

... so it could certainly be something related to the new beta.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 01:02:57 AM »

3. MIDI Channel 1

8. MIDI Control - On
15. Local Off ALL

Any tips?
Well, after messing about, if I change from NRPN to CC's it doesn't lock up, but then I have to change it to Local On when I want to program it, bit of a pain.

I found that when using USB that I was getting issues with a stable midi clock from Logic. So used 5-pin din and Logic and the X get on fine with no locking up. Still use USB for sound tower only as its just way quicker for transferring data.
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 02:15:46 PM »
Apologies for being late to the party, but I am seeing this issue as well with my new px.factory librarian when sending SYSEX data to the synth.

Like you, if I set MIDI Param Send to OFF or to CC (or send the NRPNs params on the MIDI port, not USB), I don't get the lockup.

I have a support case raised with Sequential and we are working through it. I have also just linked to this thread in the support case.

Sequential Support have asked me to verify of the behaviour is the same with other programs - yes, SYSEX librarian on the Mac will also cause the issue.

They have asked me if using "Reset Globals" changes behaviour - no it does not

They have asked me if reverting back to OS 2.1.0 changes the behaviour - yes it does. I have sent data from bank U4 to the synth several times tonight and do not get the lockup

Here is the initial report I sent to Sequential

Prophet Serial Number 00762
Prophet X OS Version M2.1.2; DSP 2.1.2.0.0; FPGA 1.0

In writing my px.factory librarian for the Prophet X, primarily developing on OSX, and I am seeing a problem when sending data to the synth.

The problem is when sending multiple program SYSEX data to the synth, the synth seems to stop receiving the data.

If you look at the first attachment "Prophet X MIDI Issue - NRPN to MIDI.png", the Prophet X is receiving the Program SYSEX messages and after each SYSEX message received the Prophet X outputs a set of NRPNs (highlighted in green). And on the Prophet X screen you can see each patch being received. And then, randomly, the Prophet X seems to stop receiving the programs (you do not see the screen updating as more programs are sent) and the NRPNs are no longer sent (see red arrow in first attachment, showing data going to the synth, but no NRPNs being returned.

The USB port then seems to be non responsive then until you either turn the synth off and then back on, or unplug and replug in the USB cable. The hang can occur at any point in trying to transfer 128 programs in a bank, but often will fail within the first ten program transfers.

If you turn "MIDI Param Send" in Global Mode to either OFF or CC during data transfers to the synth then there appears to be no issues (second attachment) and transfers run all the way through. Of interest is that if you set the MIDI PARAM SEND to CC, then you get no response out of the Prophet X whilst sending SYSEX data (so why the difference when NRPN Mode is set?)

If I set SYSEX transfers to remain on the USB port but send other data to the MIDI Ports, with MIDI PARAM SEND still set to NRPN then the problem does not seem to happen (third attachment shows SYSEX going on the Prophet X USB Port and the NRPNs coming back on a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. You can see from the program numbers in the SYSEX messages that you are getting to program 128 with no issues.

Once the hang occurs, there is no response from the Prophet. For example, in px.factory I use the Universal SYSEX Device Inquiry to test the interface (checking that the right reply comes back). If I run this test after the problem reported above, I get a MIDI timeout (4th attachment)

In my software I have the option to set buffer size when transmitting messages, delay between buffer sends and delay after sending an entire message. I have tried all sorts of different permutations on OS X to no avail, but discovered today that turning off NRPN seems to "cure" the problem.

I also saw the same problem on Windows 10, but I seem to have a buffer/delay configuration that works (I will check a little further after Christmas), whereas I couldn't find one on OS X. Unfortunately on Windows I cannot find any software now that works on Windows 10 that allows you to spy on MIDI inputs and outputs whilst you are using them - even the evergreen MIDIOX no longer seems to work now! So I cannot see if the Prophet behaviour is the same when you vary the MIDI PARAM SEND parameter.

Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 07:19:22 AM »
This still seems to be an issue with Logic Pro and USB with NRPN.

Does not look like the latest OS 2.2.0.0.5 update has fixed it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 07:31:57 AM by jago »
Prophet X. Prophet 12 Module. Prophet 6 Module. Ob-6 Module. Trigon-6 Module. Eventide H9000R (x2). Tegeler Audio Schwerkraftmaschine / Raumzeitmaschine / Creme RC (x3). Bettermaker Mastering Limiter, Mastering EQ, Mastering Compressor. Avid S3.
Mac Studio. Logic.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 12:51:21 AM »
Hi,

I have tried the latest OS and it has fixed the edit buffer corruption problem I reported, but this issue with SYSEX and NRPNs is still there, which does not happen if you switch the data send from NRPN to CC or off.

This is happening with me on OS X with my px.factory librarian, but I have also verified the issue exists even when you trie and send with something like SNOIZE SYSEX Librarian

The chap from Sequential support acknowledged that they are aware of this issue and that "the fix for it is still pending".

Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!