Are your REV2 headphone output also swapped?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Are your REV2 headphone output also swapped?
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:10:20 AM »
I just realized that my REV2 keyboard has left and right channels swapped... if i connect my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones (yes, I've checked cabling) to the REV2's phones output, then the stereo panning is reversed... I double checked this by also connecting my headphones to my soundcard (RME AIO), and this gives the correct stereo panning when the main outs are connected to the AIO. I also checked that my speakers were correctly connected (ADAM A3X) just to check these too... they also have the right stereo panning.

Could someone please check if their REV2 also has the L/R swapped on the headphone output? ... if this is the case, then this must be a hardware design flaw... something is definitely wrong with mine. Not that I need the headphone output, i just happened to try it temporarily and discovered this.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Re: Are your REV2 headphone output also swapped?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
Confirmed. Also reversed on mine. Probably a markings mistake on the back and top of the synth for the outputs ? 
BTW, I had never tried the headphones output, jeez it sounds bad ! I hope nobody relies solely on that output to evaluate the sonic potential of the synth !  :o
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:16:27 AM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
Confirmed. Also reversed on mine. Probably a markings mistake on the back and top of the synth for the outputs ? 
BTW, I had never tried the headphones output, jeez it sounds bad ! I hope nobody relies solely on that output to evaluate the sonic potential of the synth !  :o

Yes... headphone outs are usually not very high quality... but I do not believe that anything is badly marked? it just says "Phones", and it's a stereo plug... if you mean that the main outs is somehow mixed on the writing that may also be the reason of course, but normaly left is to the left of right, so if that's the case it's the main outs that are hardwired wrong.... i wonder if the B outputs are wired like the main or phone outs then (?)... I hardly doubt this because when plugging the main out L to my audio interface L in, that channel goes to the left side... and the right to right... panning via modulation sending to Main outs is right.

It's funny because I also had problems with bad phone outs on the Sub37 I once had... a whole batch of those distorted... seems like manufacturers do not give phone outs much attention obviously... it is probably also very few people who use them... i sometimes wonder why they even bother putting them in there... especially if they sound like crap.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:26:21 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »
...i sometimes wonder why they even bother putting them in there... especially if they sound like crap.

Yeah. Maybe it's meant for techs only for doing testing and repairs or something ?

BTW, if one walks to the back of the synth to plug the output jacks, then the markings are indeed reversed...  ;)

EDIT: out of curiosity I've checked the headphones output of my OB6 and it matches the panning of the outputs. So this must be a blunder on the REV2.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:50:18 AM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 10:49:19 AM »
...i sometimes wonder why they even bother putting them in there... especially if they sound like crap.

Yeah. Maybe it's meant for techs only for doing testing and repairs or something ?

BTW, if one walks to the back of the synth to plug the output jacks, then the markings are indeed reversed...  ;)

That depend on what way you're looking... they reflect what is written on the top of the case... also, they cannot be swapped on the main and sub outputs because the panning is correct when you direct a DC value to pan (when in fixed panning mode)... negative modulation moves it to the left and positive amount to the right... it must be the phones outputs that is swapped.

I found out about this because some of my sounds have key-note assigned to pan position to simulate that some instruments are placed in a stereo field... like a piano for example... the further from the middle to the left on the keys gradually pan the sound more left... but suddenly that was reversed :)

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
Confirmed  ::)
DSI Prophet Rev2

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 10:53:12 AM »
well... I bet this will soon be a "low priority bug"  ::) ... they cannot fix this short of a hardware fix... luckily i really do not care, i just wanted to see if this was a batch problem, or a general problem... you could fix it with a special adapter cable if using the phones output is important to anyone... or wear your headphones the other way around  ;D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 10:57:47 AM »

It just dawns on me... maybe in that thread about REV2 harshness, we ought to ask the poster if he uses the phones out  ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »
or wear your headphones the other way around  ;D
Crazy fact about this: The cable of my headphones is on the left side and my mixer with phones output on the right side unfortunately. A bit annoying, but it works. However, sitting in front of the REV 2 would be fine for my headphone cable position but when using them turned by 180° I will not win anything  ::).

Anyway, I don't use this output at all, however a little cable or adapter could be a solution. Should be done quickly by using an adapter TRS-Cinch and vice versa and connecting the Cinch plugs right to left.
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »

It just dawns on me... maybe in that thread about REV2 harshness, we ought to ask the poster if he uses the phones out  ;D
was thinking the same thing  ;)

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »
Looks like voice B is not swapped though (i.e. same as headset) which is actually worst than both swapped.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 11:52:42 PM »
I wonder if Sequential did any quality tests on this thing before launch...

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 03:37:07 AM »
Confirmed . The spread rotary doesn’t change the behaviour of this panspread. Beautiful for me, do you things it’s a bad init of value in several presets?

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 12:08:43 AM »
Confirmed!

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »
same here; I have one of the first ones made

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 03:01:43 AM »
yeah same here in 2019. is there a fix for this?
Alpha Juno 2/ Prophet Rev2 / Arp Odyssey / Korg DS-8 / Yamaha TX81Z