VIDEO: REV2 Experimental Patch Set Degrader Demo & Sounds

VIDEO: REV2 Experimental Patch Set Degrader Demo & Sounds
« on: February 27, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »
I made a video that demos the M4L device I designed to morph/randomize/degrade REV2 patches. This is the first step in the design process for most of the patches in the REV2 Experimental Patch Set library:

https://audiocookbook.org/prophet-rev2-patch-set/

Re: VIDEO: REV2 Experimental Patch Set Degrader Demo & Sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:18:55 AM »
I thought it might be useful to share the README here, which includes a listing of the patch titles and installation instructions. Thanks!

PROPHET REV2 AUDIOCOOKBOOK.ORG EXPERIMENTAL PATCH SET
VERSION 1.0.2

Congratulations on purchasing the Prophet REV2 AudioCookbook.org Experimental Patch Set (version 1.0.2). The set includes 128 completely original patches developed on a 16 voice Prophet REV2. All 128 patches have been recorded and can be heard here:

https://soundcloud.com/ostraka/sets/prophet-rev2-audiocookbookorg-experimental-patch-set

The bank is comprised mostly of experimental patches and sound effects, but also includes patches manually developed through a conceptual process, and some that were created as conventional sounds to fulfill a specific utility.

INSTALLATION
Start by backing up all of your patches in the four user banks on your Prophet REV2. This can be done the Globals menu under "Dump All Banks" and system exclusive librarian software on a computer. I suggest SysEx Librarian (https://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/) on Mac, or MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com/) on Windows. Currently the patches load into User Bank 1. A new version of the patch set is in the works that will have separate files that load into each of the four User Banks so that you can choose which bank to use. All updates to the patch bank will be made available as a free download to current customers.

1. First connect your REV2 to your computer with system exclusive librarian software.

2. Open your software and put it into the "record many" mode. Press write while in Globals/Dump All Banks to make your backup.

3. Now use your librarian software to send the Prophet REV2 Patch Set to your REV2. Connect the REV2 to the computer via USB or through a MIDI interface and choose the new patch bank in the librarian.

4. Enter the Globals menu on your REV2. Press play in your sysex librarian to send the patch bank to your REV2.

HOW THE PROPHET REV2 EXPERIMENTAL PATCHES CAME TO BE
Over the last few years I’ve been developing Max for Live devices to manipulate hardware synthesizers. These include the Yamaha TX81Z, PreenFM2, and most recently the Sequential Prophet REV2. I designed these tools to help me uncover new territory in the sonic landscapes of these instruments. This has led me to create libraries of unique, bizarre, fascinating, and evolving patches. I typically use these techniques, and sounds for musical projects, commissions, and performances. I have been thrilled with the results I’ve been getting on the Prophet REV2, so I decided to create a bank of experimental patches to share with the REV2 community.

These patches were created using several different techniques:
1) A custom Max for Live device was used that randomizes and/or slowly degrades patch parameters over time. Once an interesting patch is created this way the patch is edited to make it suitable for performances and productions. Most of the special effects and experimental patches were produced this way.

2) Starting with a initialized patch, hands on experimentation was used until interesting sounds emerged. For example: experiment with self-oscillation using the 4-pole filter. Some of the tonal patches were created with this technique.

3) A conceptual framework was identified to create the patch manually. For example: make a monophonic lead tone that responds to velocity and aftertouch, etc. This is how many of the more conventional patches were developed.

ALL THE PATCHES INLCUDED IN THE PATCH BANK:
1. Delayed Lead
2. Bells Out Tune
3. Pseudo Marimba
4. Wide Piano Spread / Keston Piano
5. Degraded 0.1a
6. Wide Saws
7. Cats on L5D / Locusts on PCP
8. Weird Gurgles A / Weird Gurgles B
9. Fixed OSC Mods / Fixed OSC Mods B
10. Vibranova / Vibranova B
11. Creepy Thundar / Creepy Thundar B