The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Some PX mellotron Samples for you

Some PX mellotron Samples for you
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »
I wanted to experiment with the new user samples. Tried to get my old Mike Pinder Mellotron sample CD to work, but I can't get that one working since it is an old NRG file and nothing I have tried has worked so far. Found some other good free Mellotron samples online that are available for anyone to download, converted those to 16Bit, 48K and mapped them in the utility. Still have the usual 7 second limitation built into the samples, but you can loop if you want on the PX. Thought it was a fun way to try out the mapping utility and thought I would share the results for others to download here. Hoping others do the same with their samples. I will as I do more over time.

Let me know if there are any issues with the link. 10 different instruments included.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nshtjgq2nrvm0ru/AAAelBYXyIB4gCMHsfsMbgAka?dl=0

Re: Some PX mellotron Samples for you
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
I wanted to experiment with the new user samples. Tried to get my old Mike Pinder Mellotron sample CD to work, but I can't get that one working since it is an old NRG file and nothing I have tried has worked so far.

Hereís some background on the NRG format.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
I wanted to experiment with the new user samples. Tried to get my old Mike Pinder Mellotron sample CD to work, but I can't get that one working since it is an old NRG file and nothing I have tried has worked so far.

Hereís some background on the NRG format.

Yea. Iíve tried everything I can find. I think the disk may have bit the dust. Gotta love digital media half life!

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »
I wanted to experiment with the new user samples. Tried to get my old Mike Pinder Mellotron sample CD to work, but I can't get that one working since it is an old NRG file and nothing I have tried has worked so far. Found some other good free Mellotron samples online that are available for anyone to download, converted those to 16Bit, 48K and mapped them in the utility. Still have the usual 7 second limitation built into the samples, but you can loop if you want on the PX. Thought it was a fun way to try out the mapping utility and thought I would share the results for others to download here. Hoping others do the same with their samples. I will as I do more over time.

Let me know if there are any issues with the link. 10 different instruments included.

Thanks for taking the trouble, this will be a good start for my with user samples and the Prophet X.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »
Yea. Iíve tried everything I can find. I think the disk may have bit the dust. Gotta love digital media half life!

Open formats are certainly a better bet for longevity than something proprietary like this, but have you tried the free download of Alcolohol 52%?  It should let you mount the image, and then either copy files from it or, if itís an audio CD, a standard audio CD ripper should be able to convert audio tracks to WAV or some other saner format.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 03:46:33 PM »

Open formats are certainly a better bet for longevity than something proprietary like this, but have you tried the free download of Alcolohol 52%?  It should let you mount the image, and then either copy files from it or, if itís an audio CD, a standard audio CD ripper should be able to convert audio tracks to WAV or some other saner format.

I will try that. The Mac external disk drive keeps spitting it out even when using my windows virtual machine. Hoping I can get it because those were some excellent samples. Even with age some of the best examples of this instrument.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »

Thanks for taking the trouble, this will be a good start for my with user samples and the Prophet X.

No problem. Just remember they map per key from a2 to g4 or about a three octave range and have the seven second limit like the real deal. Playability outside that range is not great but I put together some fun stuff together with the digital oscillators today. The devilís mellotron is real!

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 04:22:34 AM »
Thanks so much for doing this!

I just bought the PX and really needed some 'Tron samples for live work!

Stephen

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 09:31:09 AM »
Thanks so much for doing this!

I just bought the PX and really needed some 'Tron samples for live work!

Stephen

Youíre welcome.

laurentluigi

• A starship nammed Prophet X !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »
Only few words.....

Thank You very much for this sample pack!!!!!

Fantastic!!!

Thank you again!!!!
👍

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »
Awesome samples! I absolutely adore Mellotrons. I have had the ElectroHarmonix Mel9 Mellotron pedal to fill the void.

Do you too have to pitch your oscillators to match the tuning of them? Seems to be a whole step plus quite a bit of fine tuning. What do you recommend?

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 08:33:33 PM »
Awesome samples! I absolutely adore Mellotrons. I have had the ElectroHarmonix Mel9 Mellotron pedal to fill the void.

Do you too have to pitch your oscillators to match the tuning of them? Seems to be a whole step plus quite a bit of fine tuning. What do you recommend?
Yes, I do have to adjust the oscillators. These are samples I found online and converted.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »
Yes, I do have to adjust the oscillators. These are samples I found online and converted.

I can see the tuning being part of the charm, but if you wanted to produce a pitch perfect set you might want to try PXToolkit which will let you describe how far out of tune each of the original samples are.  In addition to the original note thereís a +/- pitch adjustment for each sample.  Enter positive values if the original pitch is sharp, negative if itís flat.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »

I can see the tuning being part of the charm, but if you wanted to produce a pitch perfect set you might want to try PXToolkit which will let you describe how far out of tune each of the original samples are.  In addition to the original note thereís a +/- pitch adjustment for each sample.  Enter positive values if the original pitch is sharp, negative if itís flat.

Thanks. Thinking of sampling some other things too.