Newbie guidance and direction help and introduction

Newbie guidance and direction help and introduction
« on: October 28, 2018, 12:02:46 AM »
Good day to all I'm glad to be be part of the Rev2 community . A little about me is I'm a young soul just starting on this wonderful journey of sound exploration . I have had my Rev2 now for a month and it does a fine job of keeping the synth jones at bay. Love synth's the sounds your capable of creating always wanted one and finally was able to acquire the Rev2 
Wether that was the right choice I'm not sure as this is my first one and yet to find where i would like to mold the sounds. I love the evolving soundscapes and the  ambient dark and moody sound of mystery . The imaginative depths of pinging sounds in space .

I hope not to be to informative on my equipment I currently have, but hoping it may help you in helping me . So I apologize
in advance if some things are irrelevant to the question at hand.     

Currently my "Setup" consists of as you know a: Rev2 (16 voice) .

Zoom Tac-2 Thunderbolt interface (currently not in use )

Maschine MK3   (not into beat making or sampling but Thought it was a option to use as a vessel to record into and sequence with and arrangements . More of a tactile hands on person although I do own  DAW )

Arturia keylab 49 essential ( my first keys so I was able to make sounds using soft synths )

Yamaha HS8 Pair with The Yamaha HS8 sub ( currently running into the interface of the Maschine mk3 )

Imac and MacBook Pro and Ipad

Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5
                                                                      Logic x
                                                                      and a bunch of other soft synths
So in a nut shell
I would like to have help and deciding what would be best for me as far as getting a mixer very confused on mixers (one with a usb interface ,stereo mixer, 6 bus , 4bus ect )  if needed , would a sequencer of some sort be useful Beatstep pro ? ), getting the Moog mother 32 and Moog DFAM  but is cv a issue with the Rev2 and will be  getting the arturia matrixbrute so will I need some sort of midi box or patch bay to sync them all together  .

Well think that about sums it up unfortunately nothing near me that seems knowledgeable in all this Theres a Guitar center near me but yet been able to talk to any one that seems to know anything there as far as synths when I have been there . I don't drive so hard for me to get much further to expand the knowledge base.

So I appreciate any advice  Recommendations or words of wisdom also would like to give a thank you to all the great musicians on here some very talented people have listened to a few of ya on soundcloud and links you have posted thank for the great sounds .

Re: Newbie guidance and direction help and introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
You'll need an audio interface. Ideally you want an interface with as many ins as you have instruments. A mixer is optional.
But many USB mixers act as interfaces so you may not need both an interface and a mixer. For me, I just found the mixer took up too much space and I could control levels from my DAW anyhow. So I just send my outs directly to my interface. But that's a personal preference. If you get an analog mixer (non-USB) you'll need to send those outs to an interface.

maxter

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »
As guyaguy said, an audio interface and you should be set really...

Seems to me you have plenty of equipment starting out, so my main advice would be to take the time to really know each piece you already have. Find their/your sweet spots, 'cause many times it's not about how much a piece can do (in terms of technicality), but what you can do with them (even with seemingly very limited ones). Often too many options can actually be a hindrance to creativity, at least for me personally... ie you can get lost in all the options, and sometimes just taking the time and experimenting can lead to happy accidents. And more often than not, it takes time to learn those sweet spots and really appreciate your gear. Too many buy and sell gear without having got "there" first. You not only need cash for a piece, but time.

The Rev2 doesn't support external CV, so it may not fit "together" with a Matrixbrute, for instance, in that sense...

As you have an iPad, I'd recommend some quite cheap classics like the Minimoog and the Odyssey, which can be very inspiring in terms of limitation. Not necessarily for recording, as any concept could be expanded on your other, "more capable", synths. But often "simpler" synths and setups go a long way for creativity, ideas and "blueprints".

Just food for thought!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 04:36:03 PM by maxter »
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice all very well noted . I agree with the too much to fast get to know the equipment . learning more each day as what direction and where my ideas need to flow. I often find my self In the " If I only had that " but lately trying to not get so technical in all the hardware just get the ideas down .

Do you guys Have a recommendation of a good  audio interface? are the ones in the mixers good compared to going seperate as I do think I would like to have a mixer to fade in parts . just seems where my work flow is taking me . what would be a good mixer if that is the case ? Thanks once  again in advance for all the help 

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 07:20:03 PM »
A proper audio interface I have an Antelope Audio Zen Tour and it rocks, so many ins and outs like 8 in 10 out especially rocks if you have a mixer just as well if not.  The UAD interfaces are great, may or may not be more expensive depending on the model you choose.  Both companies have high end conververters which matters.  I love my Antelope, look into it.

SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 09:06:47 PM »
I'm happy with my MOTU Ultra-Lite mkIII. It's DC coupled so can output CV with the right software. It also has MIDI I/O.

I don't have much experience with USB mixer/interfaces so can't really comment there.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 05:15:15 PM »
Thank you so much for all the advice . I was able to get to the local Music center and got a Mackie Mixer , a proFx . Wow what a difference the Rev2 sounds like a totally different synth , although not the greatest by some comparisons for Fx the onboard Fx real liven  her up and sound compared to what I was using Night and day  via the onboard audio interface I did have to do a appergated sound setting on my Imac in the audio midi setup on the Mac but works a treat to get it to play nice with the Machine MK3. but all seems well now So thank you for a hand in the suggestion .