Rev 2 clipping

Rev 2 clipping
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:17:52 AM »
Hello everyone!

I noticed an issue with my Prophet Rev 2 recently. When I am in unison mode (8 voices) and add the onboard reverb, it really tends to clip a lot. Has anyone encountered this problem too? Is there a solution to this? Thanks in advance!

Re: Rev 2 clipping
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 11:09:27 AM »
Hello everyone!

I noticed an issue with my Prophet Rev 2 recently. When I am in unison mode (8 voices) and add the onboard reverb, it really tends to clip a lot. Has anyone encountered this problem too? Is there a solution to this? Thanks in advance!

Confirmed.

Selecting basic patch, turning on both oscillators to sawtooth, oscillator mix at 50% (64), selecting Unison (set to 8 or 16 voices in menu), selecting Reverb effect with 50% dry/wet signal mix, reverb tone at 64, reverb time at maximum, results in severe crackling due to ADC digital clipping of the input signal.

Turning down Program Volume parameter doesn't remove clipping.
Turning down the Sustain level in the Amplifier section doesn't remove it either.

The only thing that will temporarily remove the clipping is lowering the Env Amount in the Amplifier section.

All other effects show heavy distortion of the signal, but no digital clipping.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Prophet REV2 (16V), VC340

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:27:19 AM »
Thank you for the information!

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 11:50:10 PM »
Same here, i‘m New in rev2 ,had a prophet 600 and a poly Evolver PEK..

The rev 2 is clipping to fast ..

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 01:48:47 AM »
Hello everyone!

Confirmed.

Selecting basic patch, turning on both oscillators to sawtooth, oscillator mix at 50% (64), selecting Unison (set to 8 or 16 voices in menu), selecting Reverb effect with 50% dry/wet signal mix, reverb tone at 64, reverb time at maximum, results in severe crackling due to ADC digital clipping of the input signal.

Turning down Program Volume parameter doesn't remove clipping.
Turning down the Sustain level in the Amplifier section doesn't remove it either.

The only thing that will temporarily remove the clipping is lowering the Env Amount in the Amplifier section.

All other effects show heavy distortion of the signal, but no digital clipping.

Word on the street is that keeping the Amplifier Env Amount close to 50% is generally a Good Idea™ on DSI units, and it's quite surprising what that does in terms of tonal changes.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
We don't artificially limit the output in any way for any of our synths, so yes it's possible to clip the output. This is intentional, as sometimes things can break in "interesting" ways that can be musical. This does also mean you have to pay closer attention to gain staging with our synths.

Lowering Amp Envelope Amount works well as already mentioned, as well as lowering Program/Voice Volume. Those are the two most immediate fixes without looking deeper into specific parameter values for a given program.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 05:49:54 AM »
Thanks again for all the helpful information! (Sorry for the late response)